Showcase your own beats and get constructive feedback from fellow MPC producers

Interpolation challenge - Bob Marley’s Jammin’

9%
36%
27%
18%
9%
By CharlesRandolph Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:37 am
Cockdiesel wrote:dude I tracked out into my mixer down to two. That was the issue I couldn't transfer my stems because I couldn't track out my synths. So I had to track all my synth patches at once through one track, where normally I track them out and flesh them out. I'll get a system down, just need more time with my gear. That was literally the first time I hooked up that mixer, and I am still learning a lot on my synth in terms of editing and that.

Why couldn't you stem it out?
By Cockdiesel Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:44 am
something got messed up with my song mode. it worked fine on that track I did with danoc but I either did something or the thing is bugged to hell. I even tried to make one sequence a song and the same thing would happen when I tried to convert to sequence. The second half of my song would get really bugged out, the right midi being played on the wrong tracks. It was how I wanted it when I pressed play but I need the song in one long sequence to make use of the audio tracks. It's no big deal really if it keeps up i'll have to downgrade from 2.8 or find workarounds.
By Cockdiesel Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:41 am
straight up, danoc. this has been an awesome experience.

:WTF: :WTF: :WTF: Man... I don't want to do this... but I'll let yall get some laughs off at my expense just cuz eylac used the vocoder...
dope room, one of the best sound systems in WI. the video doesnt do it justice, no monitors for us and all I could hear was the walls shaking....
By Eyalc Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:22 pm
Alright, finally getting back to this.

CD - checked yours a few times.

Man I love the way this started (not that I didn't like the rest - I did!). I was leaning forward like... man that bass is gonna drop... right... HERE. haha - I don't know why I had the feeling that this was a trap influenced interpolation. But that's a good thing that I felt it in the beginning, right away. Great start to this. Immediately recognized the melody.

Man a lot of folks are polarized by the heavy trap bass - but I'll say this... I love that sound. So when it came in, I was like - oooooh - nice!

A couple things that I think would improve this even more - because man, you already have the foundation to hook a listener:

First, the mix, like has been pointed out. But that's due to technical challenges, which is much different than lack of knowledge. So understandable.

Second, one of the things I think that's important for all music, is the dynamic nature of it. Trap (or styles like it) are sooo difficult to get right IMO, because so much of the dynamic nature of music is missed. Like the hi hats for example. Natural that there's little velocity change in hi-hats in trap music. But the patterns make up for it. But also because of that, IMO, really great trap music, you have to lower the volume of the hi-hat, because the dynamic velocity isn't there. So leaving it higher in the mix, it tends to overpower. I think there's some of that going on in your track. I think your feel for patterns and rhythm is great. Especially when the hi-hat varies - but I would de-emphasize it in the mix - because that's where a listener's attention will go. And you have so many other elements that should be forefront attention. That pattern will still be there in my head - but right now it's too dominant, when a hihat should be submissive to everything else. That's just an opinion. For me the hihat pattern commanded too much of my attention.

Also, similar tricks in trap music to make up for the loss of dynamic performance, is the 808 / sub. I think the pattern is awesome, but I could only discern a couple key changes, and sometimes it clashed with the chord progression. My brain was expecting an 808 that reacted more dynamically to the chord progression. IMO, if you did that - it would gel more tightly. As it is, it stays the same note for 8 bars at times. And I think we run the risk of tiring the listener's ears. It's always cool if the intent is to create tension, but then we have to release that tension and resolve it for the listener - else it becomes fatigue. Just imagine if you listened to someone talk in the same monotone voice for 20 seconds - you'd be feeling an urge for resolution of the sound - didn't matter if they were saying most profound s--- you ever heard. It would be overpowered by the monotone delivery. Same thing happens in music. We have to build tension, then resolve it / release it. A lot of words I apologize - just saying, resolve the 808, follow the chord progression more tightly - I think what you have is decent - I'm thinking of ways to make it awesome. If you listen to the massive trap hits, they all play with that bass, build tension, and resolve it.

Speaking of tension and resolution of it, one other way trap music does that is by dropping everything except for maybe a synth sound. Perhaps even to silence. That does a couple things: it can release tension, it can give the listener's ear a quick rest (which releases tension), and it signifies a change - usually an emotional escalation. It's an easy way to grab attention too - and it allows us to take them in whatever direction we want musically. When your song starts, it doesn't give the listener a rest. And again, because of the general lack of dynamic expression in trap, the listener can have a quick break, and we can grab attention. If you added a few quick drops in there, perhaps differentiating the parts of the structure, I think it would be REALLY good.

Many of the trap music I hear these days - the producer is always trying to rattle the speakers. And that does two things... 1. it tires the listener - fast.; and 2. it further reduces the dynamic nature of music. And the way we control the listener - is mostly through dynamic expression. Listen to the song Fly S--- Only by Future - just one example. Even though the bass note stays the same throughout the whole song... TONS of dynamic expression. Instruments coming in and out, bass dropping in and out. That producer CONTROLLED the listener big time.

Alright, those are just my thoughts.

From a "coming up outta your comfort zone" perspective, and the sheer potential of the track, I'm voting for you. I haven't listened to any of your music other than this, so hopefully this is helpful. You also know how to choose instruments, and the way you laid this out is great. Oh, and btw, that synth that comes in at the end???? Massive nice. Right around 2:08. Man bring that up in the mix!!!! haha - and it provides an offset to the main melody, which is also a way to resolve the tension. I think you have a great feel for the tension part of the music - just needs more resolution.

In general, I'm your listener once I push play. Vary my experience more. Don't overpower me. Play with my emotions bro. Stress, resolve, energy, calm. LOL. And for anyone else out there that does more trap style music - keep in mind that speakers rattling isn't about the bass - it's about the CHANGE in bass - the dynamic notes of the bass, dropping the bass in and out. Just realize when you're listening to a song - for that one second when the bass drops before coming back in - how HYPE does that make you??? THAT is what makes the speakers rattle. Not the presence of bass frequencies. I know you know this CD - just stating that for others.

Alright man, hope this helps.
By Eyalc Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:39 pm
Alright... Danoc - checked yours out for a bit too.

Man, really liking this one too! I don't know how you went from "nothing sounds like an interpolation, I'm out", to submitting this. LOL. This is really good man!

You have a lot of elements - a lot of layers, and they all play together nicely - very cool. And man - the percussion is nice - love the shaker on the right. It's there, but as a listener I "forget it's there and focus on the track". But if you muted it, I'd know something was missing. Very nice.

Your vocals are cool man. Nice addition!

Only thing I would recommend... when you dropped at 2:22, man I was feeling something EPIC coming. I would have done more with that attention grab - it returned back to the groove. Which was cool, but man it was like waiting for dinner, but dinner never came. HAHAHA. IMO it was an awesome opportunity to do something REALLY cool. Like when the organ came in at the end??? Maaaaaaaaannnnnn - put that after the breakdown!!!! When that organ came in, I was like - Oh!!! THERE'S the change!!!!! And then it ended. Man if you were in front of me when that organ came in, and you faded it out??? I would have been looking at you like... "bro - why you do that to me man???".

Alright, more brief - but just sharing those thoughts. All in all I like it. Lots of elements, lots of instrumentation. All flowed together REAL nicely. Great work!
By Eyalc Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:47 pm
CR - what up though!!! I'm starting this off like this...

THOSE STRINGS THOUGH!!!!!! Man!!!!

And when the beat dropped in - I didn't expect that. INSTANT attention grab. I went from "this sounds familiar", to "oh damn, that's nice".

First, the straight drum pattern is NICE. Still nodding to it. I also agree that the reverb is a bit too strong. But that's taste as well. I tend to lean toward a more dry sound. But I don't think it doesn't work - it's just my preference.

The change around 2:20 - I found myself thinking - hey wait a minute - it's over??? But then the tempo change - man that was nice. I think a couple things to tighten it up - the snare drum needs more of a tail on the sample. Kinda made it sound too choppy. But it works once the instruments come back in - but I could still hear it - what can I say, I'm batman. LOL. Just kidding.

Very very nice!!! work. I'm familiar with more of your music than others, so once the beat came in I was thinking - yep, that's CR!!!! But man, your string work on the one is what really got my attention. The percussion coming in around 1:30 - perhaps pan those to give them more attention. The beat didn't change until 1:54, and the percussion was a welcome change with some ear candy, but it got lost a bit.

All in all, REALLY good interpolation!
By CharlesRandolph Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:01 pm
Eyalc wrote:CR - what up though!!! I'm starting this off like this...

THOSE STRINGS THOUGH!!!!!! Man!!!!

And when the beat dropped in - I didn't expect that. INSTANT attention grab. I went from "this sounds familiar", to "oh damn, that's nice".

First, the straight drum pattern is NICE. Still nodding to it. I also agree that the reverb is a bit too strong. But that's taste as well. I tend to lean toward a more dry sound. But I don't think it doesn't work - it's just my preference.

The change around 2:20 - I found myself thinking - hey wait a minute - it's over??? But then the tempo change - man that was nice. I think a couple things to tighten it up - the snare drum needs more of a tail on the sample. Kinda made it sound too choppy. But it works once the instruments come back in - but I could still hear it - what can I say, I'm batman. LOL. Just kidding.

Very very nice!!! work. I'm familiar with more of your music than others, so once the beat came in I was thinking - yep, that's CR!!!! But man, your string work on the one is what really got my attention. The percussion coming in around 1:30 - perhaps pan those to give them more attention. The beat didn't change until 1:54, and the percussion was a welcome change with some ear candy, but it got lost a bit.

All in all, REALLY good interpolation!

I've been doing that a lot lately, not changing the drum, not adding fills, and not doing turn arounds. My ideas was that the strings and semi-counter melody would give enough movement, while the drums remained that constant. But since the drums are so dominate, that particular ideas doesn't come across.

The ideas comes from old Jazz that, used the banjo as the constant percussion, during early Jazz recordings when the actually drum would overload the mic. Also in 60, 70, 80, Rhythem & Blues when the rhythm guitar and keeps the pacing, while things changed around it. I know it can be done with the hi hat and rides.
By Cockdiesel Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:18 pm
Thanks e. Don’t get it twisted a lot of my mistakes are out of ignorance or inexperience. I can’t express how much I really need to learn and how much I learned just from the last two I did. It’s so weird. It’s all so simple but then not really and once you learn something it was actually way easier once your mind wraps around it. I know that’s confusing but I think you know exactly what I’m talking about some how.

With that track I just wanted two sequences using bobs notes then two to counter it within his structure but my own. A good example is In The intro is actually the bass line rearranged and put with a lead patch.

My music is all on the vibe I catch. Not really trying to have a set format of trap or video games. Which honestly comes out of left field for me, I was never a gamer. Maybe it’s because it’s my basic approach to this stuff who knows. A lot of my stuff I have trouble tying it all together because lack of music theory, play skills, mixing skills,etc LOL.

I appreciate your feedback and everyone else’s. Looking forward to the next one. I’m getting closer to having the skill set to making this concept I’ve had in my head for like 5 years. Still a ways to go but every step is one step closer.
By Danoc Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:23 pm
Yo CharlesRandolph you said l didnt have chords only melodies? Nah check time 1:02 & 1:24 then near the end l smoothed it out with chords. Yes sir.
Last edited by Danoc on Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.