MPC Software & MPC Beats Forum: Bug reports, feature suggestions and discussion for the MPC Software and the free 'MPC Beats' application for Mac/PC. If you have hardware-specific questions, please post in the relevant MPC sub-forum.
By Huggie Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:23 pm
Not particularly enamoured by the tagging system in the MPC software. Having to rename potentially thousands of samples with the desired tag is tedious beyond words! Hopefully Akai will consider a more elegant solution like the NI Maschine tagging system.

Anyway... enough complaining! I have a question I'm hopping one of you experienced MPC gurus may be able to answer. Does anyone know the complete list of naming tags MPC recognises? I've worked out a few by trial and error... cowbell, rim, conga, kick, snare, hihat, cymbal, shaker, tom, clap. However there must be more! Possibly even a master list?

-Thanks
- Hugo
By MPC-Tutor Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:55 pm
No list that I know of, another one of Akai's little secrets, they like to keep everyone guessing.

The current system is mind numbingly backward for anyone looking to develop samplepacks, no one wants to rename their samples with these convoluted hyphenated names, it also makes them incompatible with most legacy MPCs (8-16 character limit) so we have to have a different naming convention for the legacy MPC versions. The whole thing is so poorly thought out.

Personally I'd wait to see what happens when they 'officially' release 2.0 as currently the Live's browser is still clearly in beta and unfinished; we can't even 'install' expansions into the Live and there isn't a proper expansion browser there either.
By Huggie Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:05 am
Thanks for the reply bro. Lets cross our fingers Akai do us a solid and re-do the browser tagging...

Maybe I'll do a test tomorrow and keep renaming a sample with various tags and see what shows up on the browser. I'll be sure to list them here when I'm done...

- Hugo

MPC-Tutor wrote:No list that I know of, another one of Akai's little secrets, they like to keep everyone guessing.

The current system is mind numbingly backward for anyone looking to develop samplepacks, no one wants to rename their samples with these convoluted hyphenated names, it also makes them incompatible with most legacy MPCs (8-16 character limit) so we have to have a different naming convention for the legacy MPC versions. The whole thing is so poorly thought out.

Personally I'd wait to see what happens when they 'officially' release 2.0 as currently the Live's browser is still clearly in beta and unfinished; we can't even 'install' expansions into the Live and there isn't a proper expansion browser there either.
By Huggie Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:25 am
From checking out the factory content and testing a few tags myself...

Instrument
Block
Bongo
Chimes
Clap
Conga
Cowbell
Crash
Cymbal
Darabuka
Djembe
Falls
Fills
Gong
Impacts
HiHat
Kick
Ride
Rim
Risers
Shaker
Snap
Snare
Tabla
Tambourine
Timbale
Tom
Triangle
By urieldeveaud Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:16 am
Hi, i know this post is a little old, but is there any news about a possible list of tags ?
i am re arranging my library and it would be important to get it organized into the mpc software, without diving for hours in ti ! thanks :)
By biomaskin Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:04 am
urieldeveaud wrote:Hi, i know this post is a little old, but is there any news about a possible list of tags ?
i am re arranging my library and it would be important to get it organized into the mpc software, without diving for hours in ti ! thanks :)

No, sorry - the MPC Software is still in poor shape. One would assume it to become better over time, but it's actually the opposite. It gets worse each update. :WTF:
By bees80 Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:22 am
biomaskin wrote:
urieldeveaud wrote:Hi, i know this post is a little old, but is there any news about a possible list of tags ?

No, sorry - the MPC Software is still in poor shape. One would assume it to become better over time, but it's actually the opposite. It gets worse each update. :WTF:
`

Take your moaning somewhere else, babyboy.
By gogosynth Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:25 pm
i registered just to be able to say this - wow the attitude on some of these forums is enough to return the gear and make a judgment about the whole community.

my MPC-X is still return-eligible. I felt the ecosystem was trash on day one. but I'm giving it a sincere shot. online resources are slim and the communities seem to be..... this. did I get myself into a bitter buyer's club? lol

that aside, any real insight/resource would be greatly appreciated. if you show me some ropes, I'll be able to give back to the community.

thx!
By The Ken Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:50 am
gogosynth wrote:i registered just to be able to say this - wow the attitude on some of these forums is enough to return the gear and make a judgment about the whole community.

You're not wrong.

my MPC-X is still return-eligible. I felt the ecosystem was trash on day one. but I'm giving it a sincere shot. online resources are slim and the communities seem to be..... this. did I get myself into a bitter buyer's club?

I don't know how much you paid for your MPC-X, and it's none of my business. But If I was going to purchase an MPC today, I would purchase the MPC ONE. I'd purchase that over the X and take the massive savings and get a couple of midi controllers. You could get a midi Keyboard, a ton of encoders and faders, and still have money left over for additional software, a synthesizer, some monitors... etc.

Here is an excellent rundown of the product line and the differences.

any real insight/resource would be greatly appreciated. if you show me some ropes, I'll be able to give back to the community.

What kind of info were you looking for? The MPC Bible has enough information to keep new users busy for weeks i think.