Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By CharlesRandolph Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:54 pm
cleansocks wrote:
SO i'd trim it further than the previous settings and then generate a sequence with the new trimmed sample?

Once you set the start and end point correctly. All you have to do is re-record the loop.
By Lampdog Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:43 pm
It keeps playing because I changed ZONE 1 to “one shot”.

@main menu
PROGRAM button
KG MIX [F2)
ZONE (F6)
ZONE, PLAY MODE, AS SAMPLE.

STEP EDIT button
D: 7680

Now when you press stop the sample will stop also.

As for when you use slice to create a sequence, right off the bat :lol: :lol: go to STEP EDIT and check the (D) :lol: :lol: It says D: 10898. D = DURATION of ticks it plays, meaning how long the sample plays.

10898 makes the sample play longer than 1 bar. The sample needs to be TOLD to stop playing at the very end of the bar if “AS SAMPLE” is chosen in ZONE. This is why 7680 is used for DURATION and the sample stops at the very end of the bar, the seq retriggers and the sample plays again. It’s a RETRIGGER, not a loop.

Or you could set the samples end to what CR suggested and it will stop itself right before the seq retriggers again.

PROGRAM button
F2 (KG MIX)
F3 (PITCH)
I have the sample set to -00.09

If you slice and make a sequence this parameter defaults to 00.00 because you made new data. The end of the seq when retriggering will be jacked up.

I feel like there are MANY things you may not understand about the 4k.
The GOOD part is your beatmaking has advanced to the point where it’s causing you problems, that means YOU are growing and have a need to know more!!

Growing pains are good, but, frustrating as flowers at the same time. 4k DEMANDS you come with AAA game, it gives a flowers less about feelings. GET IN THERE and make it your ****.
By cleansocks Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:12 am
:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: This was it right here... that and the advice you and everyone else was giving me. Idk why.. but bringing the start more forward in the sample was something I never thought to do. That and utilizing my start-record more, sample generate is going to take some getting used to.

I used your guys' tips from wiped memory, completely brand new project ... routed the beginning of this song I like to the MPC and looped it in the sequencer.. so now i can join you guys and actually use my sequencer on my MPC. lol
By cleansocks Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:14 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:
cleansocks wrote:
SO i'd trim it further than the previous settings and then generate a sequence with the new trimmed sample?

Once you set the start and end point correctly. All you have to do is re-record the loop.

yep, ^^^ this was something I wasn't doing before so I think trimming it down more was the magic touch
By Lampdog Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:33 am
CR’s method is more optimized than mine.

My shit was fiddly, because I sometimes just like flowers with many moving parts and can’t help myself.

Both work imo.
By CharlesRandolph Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:12 pm
Lampdog wrote:CR’s method is more optimized than mine.

My **** was fiddly, because I sometimes just like flowers with many moving parts and can’t help myself.

Both work imo.

Correctly editing the sample, extracting, assigning it to a key-group, and pitch it down. Is a great way manipulate the sounds. I've done it before but mainly use those settings for single notes. I also prefer Keygroups over 16 levels because the keygroup allows more controls. :nod:
By cleansocks Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:34 am
Hey just another quick question.. is there any way when I copy the sequence to an unused one that I don't have to use that same program that i made the sequence with?

Because here is the thing, if Program 1 has the pattern I want to loop in the sequencer that's great, but if I copy it over I have to stay on Track1- Part1- Program 1, if I go to Track 2 Part2- Program 2 it gets ****.

Because what if I want Track 1 to just have the one pad I'm trying to record my loop on? Then I want to use Track 2 Track 3 Track 4 for Drums , Bass, Kicks, etc. How do I do that if the sequencer doesn't want to play ball. It seems possible, I'd just have to put everything I want in the song and sequences into one Program, into one track, but that sounds like organization hell.

I just want to have Sequence 1 - Program 1 (the Loop)
Sequence 2 - Program 1 , Program 2 (snare)
Sequence 3- Program 1, Program 2, Program 3 (Kicks)
Sequence 4 - Program 1, Program 2, Program 3, Program 4 (Vocals)

Right now, it just seems Sequence 1 is tied to the loop program, being program 1. And if I try to copy it over to another sequence I have to have Track 1 Part 1 Program 1 because if I try Track 2 Part 2 program 2 or track 2 part 1 program 2 or however I arrange it doesn't seem to be working
By Lampdog Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:51 am
Seqs uses Trks.
Trk uses Pgms,
Any Pgm can be assigned to a Trk.

Seq > Trk > Pgm.

Seq1 = trk1/pgm1 (loop), trk2/pgm2 (snr), trk3/pgm3 (kik), trk4/pgm4 (vocals).
Seq2 = trk1/pgm1 (loop), trk2/pgm2 (snr), trk3/pgm3 (kik), trk4/pgm4 (vocals).
Seq3 = trk1/pgm1 (loop), trk2/pgm2 (snr), trk3/pgm3 (kik), trk4/pgm4 (vocals).
Seq4 = trk1/pgm1 (loop), trk2/pgm2 (snr), trk3/pgm3 (kik), trk4/pgm4 (vocals).
Seq5 = trk1/pgm1 (loop), trk2/pgm2 (snr), trk3/pgm3 (kik), trk4/pgm4 (vocals).

Copy Seq1 to Seq2, go to and use Trk2, go to and use Pgm2.
Leave Trk1 alone.
By cleansocks Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:11 am
Lampdog wrote:Seqs uses Trks.
Trk uses Pgms,
Any Pgm can be assigned to a Trk.

Seq > Trk > Pgm.

Seq1 = trk1/pgm1 (loop), trk2/pgm2 (snr), trk3/pgm3 (kik), trk4/pgm4 (vocals).
Seq2 = trk1/pgm1 (loop), trk2/pgm2 (snr), trk3/pgm3 (kik), trk4/pgm4 (vocals).
Seq3 = trk1/pgm1 (loop), trk2/pgm2 (snr), trk3/pgm3 (kik), trk4/pgm4 (vocals).
Seq4 = trk1/pgm1 (loop), trk2/pgm2 (snr), trk3/pgm3 (kik), trk4/pgm4 (vocals).
Seq5 = trk1/pgm1 (loop), trk2/pgm2 (snr), trk3/pgm3 (kik), trk4/pgm4 (vocals).

Copy Seq1 to Seq2, go to and use Trk2, go to and use Pgm2.
Leave Trk1 alone.

See the thing is track 1 cannot be left alone idk whats up w that. Say I record something to the sequencer in Program 1, Part 1, Track 1 right? Well now lets say I have a second program completely separate that i want to use on a different sequence.

At first I thought each sequence could use their own 128 tracks isolated but I Guess you have to share tracks with the other sequences. Which is fine I guess but...

I tried going to Sequence 2, recorded it with program 2. All is well and done. But if I go back to Sequence 1, it says it's Using program 2. So if I change program 2 to program 1 on Sequence 1 as it should be, then Sequence 2's track is using program 1. How do I stop my tracks using the same parts / programs?
By cleansocks Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:12 am
hey never mind. As I was typing the above I went back to my MPC just to make sure I Didn't miss anything and sure enough I did. what was tripping me up is the parts changing between tracks which I didn't realize was messing my sound up. I think I got this arrangement figured out.. or at least cracking the surface. I'm keeping up the question i was bout to ask in case I forget and come back and have a lightbulb moment.