Talk and share knowledge on rare records, sources of new samples, vinyl, diggin, etc
By Scrawny Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:00 pm
saltmcgault wrote:I love drum breaks and I think I use them too much. I want to find samples and breaks that haven't been used before. I hate **** with a sample and then finding out wiz khalifa or logic have already used it on an album. It's a total boner kill for me.

Of course. I know that feeling. 90% of the time I dig for shit I know nobody's gonna have used before, but I feel like I should still have knowledge of well known soul and funk artists so if I buy a Quincy Jones or something album I already know it's been sampled several times before by pros and when I try and see how I can flip it I can't put the same energy in.

As for drums, I almost never sample entire patterns because I just can't figure out how to get them to loop right :lol: . I sample individual hits from "drum crazy breaks" for example and layer them with hits from other records to make them unrecognizable.

I think that's also why I can't figure out if the break Kno used is the one I think it is. Because if it is.... I can't believe how he freaked it.. :worthy: :worthy:
By Scrawny Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:49 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:They didn't really do much, loop the break and use note repeat on parts of the drum. Same programming as trip hop, drum and bass, etc. :nod:

Try to recreate what they did with the drums, using a different break but the same technique.
Break Link: http://contemporaryhiphop.com/break/1.wav

Maybe they didn't, but like I said, I have almost no experience with programming breaks so I can't comprehend how Kno made it sound that way at all! And I really don't think it's just the note repeat...! I love that song so much. :P
By CharlesRandolph Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:39 am
Scrawny wrote:Maybe they didn't, but like I said, I have almost no experience with programming breaks so I can't comprehend how Kno made it sound that way at all! And I really don't think it's just the note repeat...! I love that song so much. :P

That's all it is, a Drum loop with note repeats kicks and snare fills. Sounds like he used a decay and filter on the snare roll.
By Scrawny Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:45 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:
Scrawny wrote:Maybe they didn't, but like I said, I have almost no experience with programming breaks so I can't comprehend how Kno made it sound that way at all! And I really don't think it's just the note repeat...! I love that song so much. :P

That's all it is, a Drum loop with note repeats kicks and snare fills. Sounds like he used a decay and filter on the snare roll.

:worthy: :worthy: