MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By B0BBy Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:37 pm
This has been happening on velocity layered programs. It gets renamed, but the filenames have problems.
Example:
VP PB-039 Eb1 015 ppp or VP PB-040 E1 079 mf -instead of VP PB-061 Db3 096
This program has four velocity layers, and it's the velocity level that gets screwed. Anyone have ideas/info on this? I feel it's a bug. It's bugging me, that's for sure!
Thanks!
By NearTao Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:50 pm
Why would Akai choose this versus velocity numbers... I have no idea. It seems kind of jokey on the one hand, but on the other perhaps there is something different that they are trying to convey regarding the dynamics of the recorded source material.

:arrow: Dynamics

f/p indicate loudness without specifying an actual or precise loudness. Essentially, it is up to the player to use their instincts, emotions, or placement within a surround environment and other instruments to determine how loud to play.

ffffffff - joke loud
fff - very very loud
ff - very loud
f - loud
mf - less loud
mp - less quiet
p - quiet
pp - very quiet
ppp - very very quiet
pppppppp - joke quiet

It does seem kind of goofy in a way that an actual number would better convey what was actually recorded.
By B0BBy Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:04 pm
Wow! This shows how ignorant I am on sight reading, and theory in general.
Thanks for the most instructional and funny reply! Why would akai do that, when the mpc isn't known for being a highbrow instrument ( tho it can replicate any of it :)