Submit your beats to our regular battles - the winner starts the next battle!
By saltmcgault Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:18 am
Nice beats last round. :smoker: Lets get #293 going.

SAMPLE: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1tdobjrbfyyyx ... e.wav?dl=0

RULE:
Open round.

As per normal your entry must have battle number 293 in track title and please use soundcloud or youtube to post your track here in this thread. The Battle deadline is midnight Tuesday The 20th of October.

Peace
By NearTao Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:49 pm

All sounds courtesy of the sample... All loops created, extracted, and pitched on the MPC Live, and I just did some basic arrangement in Ableton Live.

So nothing too fancy, and just wanted to keep it simple this week. Hope you guys enjoy :D
By NearTao Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:41 pm
For just about every questionable sample I believe Dilla pulled that shouldn't have worked... he dropped some insane flips and drums to shove that flavor in my ear... man had a gift that 99.999% of us will never have.
By saltmcgault Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:50 pm
I don't like posting songs that have been used already. It sounded familiar so I'm not surprised Dilla used it. It was getting late and I already went through several pulls from my collection. I got the case of the **** its and selected this song. Whenever you see a tie feel free to send Pk1, Psych, or me a sample or rule and it could be used if I don't hear from the co-winners.
By NearTao Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:02 pm
I don't mind pulls from previously used tracks... it can definitely be interesting to see what others did with them and find new ways to leverage the track.
By saltmcgault Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:56 am
NearTao wrote:I don't mind pulls from previously used tracks... it can definitely be interesting to see what others did with them and find new ways to leverage the track.

damn speedy 2 shoes. you pumped that entry out quick. :lol:
By Menco Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:22 am
Was bored at work last night, so I did a quick Koala flip. Just furr fun, nutin’ special

By NearTao Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:26 pm
If you ever get bored, would be interested in seeing a video on how you chopped in Koala... or if you chopped outside. I've got a few ideas on how to do it inside Koala, but also seems like a bit of a twist with the workflow and easier to do outside.
By Menco Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:58 pm
I chop the sample in my head, count the amount of chops I have and make that amount of copies. From there I go through all the copies adjusting start and endpoints and truncating. It's 'harder' to chop inside the Koala app, which kind of make the process 'easier' if you catch my drift. Because you have to chop manually I've already chopped the sample in my head before I start actually chopping instead of just doing an auto chop, and see what I can piece together from there. That leaves me without any unnecessary chops, and sequencing is directly laying down the idea I have in my head.
By NearTao Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:05 pm
I think I get you on it... actually laying it out like that is probably how I'd approach it. I definitely dig the immediacy of sampling/chopping in Koala... I might have to take a few of your suggestions for a future session.
By Menco Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:29 pm
I love it. It’s the same when chopping with the MPC500 and SP404.

With the MPC Live I recorded all these long samples and lazy chopped them into 60+ pieces without ever being able to make a beat with that.

Worked my way back to the MPC500 and SP404, forcing me to really make the decision at the turntable when chopping with these machines. This made me very selective in picking samples, resulting in less clutter and unfinished beat, cause I only take what I’m sure of what I’m going to use. When I’m a bit lost I make a beat like this as a form of therapy.
By inflict3 Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:13 am
here is what i came up with,. nothing special... :smoker: