Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By QuentinB Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:15 pm
Do y’all usually look for a horn section from an existing song or do you try to program your horns from scratch?

Finding it difficult to recreate that philly horn section sound. Similarly would be cool to recreate that full orchestral feel of Motown back in the soul days. :hmmm:
By 6/8 Stanley Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:19 am
I took the easy way out. Bought some horns from mpc samples. Maybe not what you're looking for. The demo wasn't that impressive but I found a woozey trumpet that's starring on some of my tracks.
By Menco Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:14 am
Sampled full horn sections are hard to match the tune of the song sometimes. Solo instruments are easier to match.
With sound libraries I’ve had different results. Most of the times it does sound like a VST, but there were a few times where I pulled it off. If I want to make a soul beat with a full horn section in the hook I usually get everything from the same song.
By QuentinB Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:13 pm
I’ve got the horns pack from mpc samples, think I have most of the packs now actually lol. I think I’m more so wanting to understand how horn sections work in terms of chords and ensembles. A full sample section is pretty hard to match tuning wise, seems there’s always a note or two in there that’s not gonna line up. Maybe I’ll watch some videos on how composers do it.
By Danoc Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:26 am
Nah l play mines out from scratch. But l stack'em so they can be more powerful. I know how to make them swell the whole 9 yards. Im working on a joint now that the main part is the horns. I love the Triton rack horns they are sick.
I have it in software form but l also had the hardware.

QuentinB wrote:Do y’all usually look for a horn section from an existing song or do you try to program your horns from scratch?

Finding it difficult to recreate that philly horn section sound. Similarly would be cool to recreate that full orchestral feel of Motown back in the soul days. :hmmm:
By 6/8 Stanley Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:27 am
Besides thinking in terms of chords, there are also intervals. Two notes instead of three or more. Different intervals have a different feeling. For example runs in parallel sixths can have a minor feel though you're not playing a minor chord. And a run in parallel tenths don't sound anything like the same run in sixths. Something I recently learned and I use it a lot.
I haven't tried it with horns on mpc yet but I think I will.
By dabmeister Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:27 am
Being a former saxophonist and part of a horn section, I find some hardware synths sound pretty close to the real thing. Maybe this is why I prefer using hardware synth sounds as opposed to sampled. I've also used both sampled and synth mixed together to get some nice horn parts. Maybe experiment and see if you're able to recreate the certain horn parts you're looking for. Nothing to lose but some time & effort.
By Lampdog Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:10 am
dabmeister wrote:....hardware synth sounds as opposed to sampled...

My preference also.