Sub-forum for discussion about the DAWs and mobile apps that you use with your MPCs
By 4Renzic Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:27 am
Anybody got a work flow for getting tracks from live to Reaper?

Right now I use the live in controller mode to the mpc software->explode tracks->bounce audio mixdown to a file, separate tracks->pull them into Reaper. Tedious and time consuming!!

I hope someone has a better or quicker way.
By NearTao Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:46 pm
If you don't have a multi channel audio card, then yeah... that's probably how I'd do it.

If you've got an audio card though, you could track out 8 channels of audio and record them all into reaper at the same time. Not sure that's what you're looking to do though.
By dazastah Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:00 am
If your not using tempo changes , load up the project as a plugin in reaper with multi outputs , then set the options for each of those created plugin tracks to record the output. In mpc software you assign things to corresponding outputs . Then in reaper just record it like the mpc software was a standalone hardware mpc with physical outputs ..
By 4Renzic Fri May 08, 2020 4:34 am
dazastah wrote:If your not using tempo changes , load up the project as a plugin in reaper with multi outputs , then set the options for each of those created plugin tracks to record the output. In mpc software you assign things to corresponding outputs . Then in reaper just record it like the mpc software was a standalone hardware mpc with physical outputs ..

Daz, can you point me in the right direction on doing this. I am having serious problems with that mpc software.

Thx
By 4Renzic Wed May 13, 2020 9:07 pm
For anybody that run into this problem, just use the mpc software as a plugin!! Easy Peasy!
By Calcaire Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:25 pm
Hello just to say thank you for the informations here, and ask further questions ... I've just tracked some 8 bars sequences from my MPC Live ( with "live" track mutes and Q links to send fx, and finger-drummed add ons) using MPC software in VST plugin in Reaper. Everything looks to stay in sync (I've just pushed a little bit the buffer size of my soundcard Behri UMC 8 so that my very old PC with windows 7 can handle)

Had some problems to figure it out and i would like to tell my workflow in case of someone has better ideas.

Project in Reaper 48000 khz 16 bit

First track holds the MPC plugin , with a quite heavy project on it ( 25 sequences with lot of sample and programs, some skeches and ideas and beats, not a full song, but something like 12 differents tunes. )

First problem, route the mpc plugin in separate tracks ( I found it in the I/O tab in the upper right corner of the vst window in Reaper FX pop up) ... But If I route anything to out 1 or 2 , just can't get it to output in a mono track ( I like to have Kick and snare on out 1 and 2, rest of drums on 3 and 4 ) . So I've started my outputs chain with 3 and 4.

You have to unlock some channels in the vst matrix so that you can use receive on other tracks in reaper.

Every program or pad inside program is routed to the 8 submixes depending on categories :
1 kick (routed to output 3
2 Snares (output 4)
3 Overheads (ouptut 5/6)
4 Bass ( out 7)
5 Keyboards (out 9/10)
6 Lead Synths (out 8 )
7 Extra percussion loops ( out 11/12)
8 Extra drumloops and/ or internal FX returns ( out 13/14)

Then I've created some audio tracks receiving "MPC multi" , with the corresponding channels ( Kick receive MPC channel 1, etc..)

Mono or stereo tracks now receive everything separated.... Just take care to set RECORD OUTPUTS on revery tracks on reaper to record receives and not physical inputs of the audio interface; Now I can play my song with track mutes, q links, finger-played breaks. and chain sequences, etc... The tempo is from Reaper ( it's locked on host and you can't change it on the MPC as it works in VST)

And come the Next problem : My project is made of very different small beats and mini songs, at different tempos... so you have to manually enter the tempo of the song or sequence you are playing. Unfortunately on your project there is no way to know the original tempo of the sequence you made, they are now all set on the "HOST" tempo, and if you save your project, all the sequences changed tempo... so first lesson : ALWAYS SAVE a "controller" version of your project if you don't want To lose all your routings and tempos defined in standalone :(

But at the end, i've got my 8 audio tracks perfect in sync (could'nt do this in standalone, as ther eis only 6 outputs on MPC LIVE ) .... And if I need to separate more, there is 32 out maximum.... And the good point is editing song structure on reaper is know very easy, and you keep all your happy accidents.

So if every one as a hint or tip to a better workflow with reaper, I'd like to know :) Thanks for reading.
Last edited by Calcaire on Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Calcaire Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:31 pm
dazastah wrote:If your not using tempo changes , load up the project as a plugin in reaper with multi outputs , then set the options for each of those created plugin tracks to record the output. In mpc software you assign things to corresponding outputs . Then in reaper just record it like the mpc software was a standalone hardware mpc with physical outputs ..

Hello Dazastah. When adding MPC plugin to a track in Reaper , I don't have visible multi outs, I have to make receive on other audio tracks in reaper so that I can route the signal . The only way I've found is to open the I/O matrix of the Vst window and check some ins and outs... is this normal ? Tx
By tezere Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:02 pm
Hello everyone,

I'm installing my new config for reaper and testing the MPC VSTi which seems really interesting.
I have a MPC live connected to reaper, this is working well.
But I also have an Akai Advance25 controller connected by USB to my MPC live.
The Advance25 is working without problem with the MPC software.
But with the MPC VSTi plugin in reaper, it doesn't work.

Any Idea how to fix it?

For info: I use the akai pro MPC live ASIO driver in reaper, which also seems to reduce the latency in comparison to my pro fx16 mixing table.
By tezere Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:39 am
I finally solved the problem. It was simply that the MPC plugin was selected as input FX.
The MPC plugin has to be selected as track FX. And the controller needs to be correctly activated in the audio/midi devices section of reaper's preferences, then selected as midi input under the MPC's track.
I also updated the firmware of my controller in between.