Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By de.j Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:53 pm
Hi, I've bought an 2kXL that came with the MPCSTUFF cf reader installed - however there's no ATAPI option on the load menu, only F-ROM, Floppy, SCSI etc. I've opened the box and unplugged / flipped / replugged what I could but still the ATAPI is missing from the device selection. I'm running on 1.2 and using a vetted card that works on my friend's 2kxl...from the forums Ive read it seems like there's a power issue from the CF reader to the board, and so after my attempts at making sure everything was snug, am I to think that the reader needs replacing? Another issue is that when I boot the MPC with the card in, all the lights on the machine turn on and the screen is blank, while if booted with the reader empty, the unit functions just fine, (still with tho ATAPI).

Sorry if this is an ancient problem that keeps getting solved - this seems to be a hot topic but a lot seems left unanswered in most of the threads regarding this specific problem, and the other threads that tackle more technical-jumper-ribbon- issues have images which have expired from their host site.

Ive reached out to MPCSTUFF but haven't heard back for a few days.
By Lampdog Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:56 pm
All lights mean the data ribbon is flipped backwards.
No atapi i the menu might be because of a jumper on the device.

Other than that contact MPC Stuff, they are also a member here.
By de.j Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:31 am
Lampdog wrote:All lights mean the data ribbon is flipped backwards.
No atapi i the menu might be because of a jumper on the device.

Other than that contact MPC Stuff, they are also a member here.

Tried that, and same thing continues. Will reach out to MPC stuff to see what they say - as far as jumper issues go, should i be looking beyond the CF board for it?

Here's some pictures of the inside - (I unplugged the ribbon cable just before taking photos of this)

https://imgur.com/a/nwsGVwh
By Mrko303 Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:12 pm
Have same problem with my internal zip drive. Bought a 2kxl with a internal zip drive without any zips. So i bought some unused zips and a iomega usb external zip drive to load programs and samples in the zips. First i load os 1.14 to upgrade my 2kxl from 1.1! to 1.2 and then down to 1.14= No Problem!
Then i load some samples and a prepared 2kxl drum kit program in= No Problem! Played the samples with the pads, recorded a Beat with the kit etc.
Next day i put another folder in this zip and the 2kxl told me "no floppy drive!!" From that point i couldn't find the option to choose ATAPI. And i thought the day before everything was working, i saw somwhere ATAPI in the screen. So i replaced and checked several times the power cable, ribbon cable, jumper in master, dirt in the drive and several zip disks = Nothing!
Frustration level is absolutely high! Don't know where the problem could be. Drive gets power and it boots but it is not recognized as ATAPI anymore. Only thing i could test, if ribbon cable or power cable have a damage inside.
Or sombody have another idea?