Talk about the music biz - marketing, promotions, contract law, copyright etc...
By DeviousDaOnly Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:55 pm
First Whats up to all the music maker's I got mad love for yall cause i really love this music thing.

Ok I'm working on my album that i wrote and made beats for. I will not call myself a producer but this will be my third year in this beat making game. I have finally gotten to the point where i want to rock on my tracks so much so i have recorded 11 song this month. I got about 8 blazing joints out of the 11. When i say 8 blazing joints i mean 8 joints that could all be single's.

I have been pondering over the next steps to take. I am itching to just drop a single on some white label sh*t and try to master p the game.
I have my production company set up and every thing is copywritten beats and flows.

I really want to set up a label and go all the way but as with most us my cash is slow I make good money but I got bills,daughter, and so on.

i know with what i have i could get a deal and i have been offered deals in the past with music that was not as good as what i have now.

If i decide to go all the way whats the best way?
Also if in the end i'm going to need the majors anyway should i just do the white label and then put out my album and wait for the labels?

last but not least should i just take the rape of and artist contract and if i do how do get compensated for the beats that made? Would that come out of my budget as the artist or is it seperate?

Oh one more thing the other deals i was offered where 4 to 5 hundred thousand but this was before I was making beats. What is the norm for beatmaker/artist contracts?

for the people that will most likely ask i didnt take the deals because of some shystee sh*t that went on basically i got jerk to make a long story short but i learned my lesson and to all reading please pick up a book about the business. I am asking these questions just for different opinions from people in the know so thanks ahead of time.

Ps I will not be posting any music My site is up but not finished yet and once its up I'll post the link.

side note guard your music, hooks, ideas, like they are a million dollar check because one day it just might become just that.

:lol:

By DeviousDaOnly Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:05 pm
Not to be in a hurry but is there anyone with some answers or help

By DeviousDaOnly Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:25 pm
I know i'm not the only MC / beat maker with dreams of putting out his own album. Whats up people a bother needs some advice.

By jonathan morris Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:24 pm
First MARYLAND REPRESENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I Know I'm in Vermont but was raised down there.

Sorry I can't offer you any advice, but I am in your shoes just in an earlier stage. I too make the beats that I rap on. I've only been producing for about a year and a half but my game has stepped up considerably. I started as a writer turned emcee, fast forward to current.

I wish you luck in getting your info and the future.

p.s. Where in MD are you anyway?

By DeviousDaOnly Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:45 pm
Well I am from New Jersey but been in Maryland for about four years now.
I cant front I am dirty Jersey forevery. So Newark, East Orange, Irvington and Hillside rep ya boy. I live in all those cities so i still rep Essex County.
Pg County is real gutter though.

By DeviousDaOnly Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:53 pm
just wanted to say thanks to all the feed back. hahaha

I have decided to go for the MC deal and what ever extra i can get for the beats. After pricing everything i cant afford to do the label thing nor can i afford to pass up on that advance money 40k-70k would do me swell right now. I know i need a demo, press kit, manager and lawyer. Is there anything else i should do when shopping the demo.