MPC Software & MPC Beats Forum: Bug reports, feature suggestions and discussion for the MPC Software and the free 'MPC Beats' application for Mac/PC. If you have hardware-specific questions, please post in the relevant MPC sub-forum.
By Dark Lane Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:08 pm
Hi All

What's the reason for using the modifier lane for automation rather than adding a new lane for each parameter?

The training videos on Akai Academy and elsewhere all suggest adding a new lane by using the control at the bottom of the automation lane to select the track/programme/pad parameter and then recording or drawing it in. But if you right click the item that is in the Modifier lane when you select the event you can change tuning, pan etc directly in this lane. In fact, in the House sample project, it's used to change the pitch of the bass pad in the drum kit.

Why two ways of achieving the same thing? And when would you choose either?

Unfortunately, the manual doesn't mention it so if anyone can point me to a better reference source about this I'd be grateful. So frustrating that there are many details in the product that don't seem to be documented in the manual or covered in the Academy videos.

Cheers
By 83dude Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:45 pm
Dark Lane wrote:Hi All

What's the reason for using the modifier lane for automation rather than adding a new lane for each parameter?

The training videos on Akai Academy and elsewhere all suggest adding a new lane by using the control at the bottom of the automation lane to select the track/programme/pad parameter and then recording or drawing it in. But if you right click the item that is in the Modifier lane when you select the event you can change tuning, pan etc directly in this lane. In fact, in the House sample project, it's used to change the pitch of the bass pad in the drum kit.

Why two ways of achieving the same thing? And when would you choose either?

Unfortunately, the manual doesn't mention it so if anyone can point me to a better reference source about this I'd be grateful. So frustrating that there are many details in the product that don't seem to be documented in the manual or covered in the Academy videos.

Cheers

Those modifiers are usually parameters that aren‘t present in the so-called General MIDI Standard but are unique to MPCs or their respective programs, for example (and especially) 16 LEVELS parameters. Unique parameters are listed as modifiers, not seperate CC# lanes.