MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Driven Crane Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:57 pm
Which of them would you recommend?
I do not like trap styles.
I need something fresh (a bit of drum classics, too) but musical enough.
Vocals, beats, exotic, abstract... no keys, basses - as i have real instruments for this purposes to sample them if i need.
Thank you!
P.S. I am a newbie here (Talkbass effect pedals veteran), so please, be patient.
By EnochLight Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:39 pm
Driven Crane wrote:Which of them would you recommend?
Vocals, beats, exotic, abstract... no keys, basses - as i have real instruments for this purposes to sample them if i need.
Thank you!
P.S. I am a newbie here (Talkbass effect pedals veteran), so please, be patient.

It's a sampler, so the world is your oyster - sample anything you want! Obviously, make the right choices (if you plan to sell your music, then license and clear any samples you plan to use from commercial works). If you're doing this for a hobby, spend some time on YouTube and sample away. There's no rules.

That said, Splice and LoopCloud are great sources for curated content that's already cleared. You actually should have a 30-day free trial for Splice in your Akai account. Give it a try.

If you want an easy way to clear commercial content for actual release, try Tracklib - they're easy and affordable (and can save you a ton of legal headaches): https://www.tracklib.com/

Good luck, and most important - have fun!
By CharlesRandolph Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:43 pm
Driven Crane wrote:Which of them would you recommend?
Thank you!

Sample what ever you want, chop it up, manipulate it, make sure it's De minimis, can't be recognized, and don't self incriminate yourself. Then :lol: and make money. You can't fully trust sites like splice because 50% of those sounds are recycled from older packs, records, cd, tv, etc. So you still can be sued if you don't clear them. Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Like NearTao said, try https://www.mpc-samples.com/ or record your own sounds and design them.
By EnochLight Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:28 pm
NearTao wrote:MPC Samples... run by and affiliated with this site (links to content up top) is a great source...

Then there's that! :nod: :lol:
By Monotremata Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:46 am
Im still stealing shit from 25 year old sample cds that havent gotten old yet. Jungle Warfare 1 and the AMG 160db set is about all I need here.
By CharlesRandolph Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:53 am
Monotremata wrote:Im still stealing shit from 25 year old sample cds that havent gotten old yet. Jungle Warfare 1 and the AMG 160db set is about all I need here.
By NearTao Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:57 am
Monotremata wrote:Im still stealing shit from 25 year old sample cds that havent gotten old yet. Jungle Warfare 1 and the AMG 160db set is about all I need here.

Classics for sure...

I've been getting back to digging through some of the old Acid CD's... both before and after Sony picked them up. Some sounds still sound great even if they are old enough to drink now :D
By ShengTao Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:02 pm
Check out an ipad app called groovebox. I sample the drum kits directly to mpc.. I really wish they would release the sound packs outside of the app, but you have to get them through their app. There's a ton of material that sounds like nothing else out there. They have a very talented sound design team.
By 83dude Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:49 pm
I do LOVE Radiooooo.com - 5 times ‚o‘ is important! They also sport an app. Try it for inspiration. :wink:
By EnochLight Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:51 pm

Holy crap - I have 160db! Man - I haven't pulled that library in like... 15 years? Maybe longer? Though I think mine is in Reason ReFill format - can't remember.
By EnochLight Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:54 pm
83dude wrote:I do LOVE Radiooooo.com - 5 times ‚o‘ is important! They also sport an app. Try it for inspiration. :wink:

That website is a blast - thanks for mentioning it!
By CharlesRandolph Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:14 pm

Make a beat, upload it, and leave the drums open. :lol:
By EnochLight Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:51 pm
ShengTao wrote:Check out an ipad app called groovebox. I sample the drum kits directly to mpc..

That's a pretty sweet app as well - I use my iPad often in conjunction with the MPC.

+1

By Lampdog Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:17 pm
EnochLight wrote:I use my iPad often in conjunction with the MPC.