MPC Software & MPC Beats Forum: Bug reports, feature suggestions and discussion for the MPC Software and the free 'MPC Beats' application for Mac/PC. If you have hardware-specific questions, please post in the relevant MPC sub-forum.
By morph860 Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:31 pm
Picked up a Studio Black, a MidiMix, and an LPK25 a few weeks ago. Version 2.6 runs fine on my Mac Mini with OSX Mojave. Some of my VST's just run a little slow since the Mac is from 2012. My newer MacBook Pro came with Catalina installed. The MPC 2.5 software installs and functions fine, but the hardware driver doesn't install at all. I tried upgrading to 2.6 and that upgrade fails. The driver that is packaged with 2.6 fails as well. How long does it usually take Akai to catch up with a major OS release?
By Monotremata Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:05 pm
With the security changes to Catalina, it doesn't sound like anybody is going to be quick about it, or is really in a hurry heh. Some of the comments Ive seen from devs were that they didnt even bother with the developer previews because it changed so much from beginning to release. A lot of them were waiting for the release to even start moving them over.

Man its only been out a week, Apples way too ahead of getting their machines in the stores out with the latest OS hah.
By morph860 Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:21 pm
I know. I'm sure I can figure out a way to roll back the OSX, but don't really want to go that route. Read that someone on the Akai forum was able to hack the driver to get it to work with Catalina.
By morph860 Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:30 pm
Not sure how stable it'll be, but I did get the MPC working again.

Went into Library/Extensions on my older Mac and copied the AkaiProfessionalMPCStudioBlack.kext file into the same folder on the Mac running Catalina. I still can't upgrade from 2.5 to 2.6, but seems like everything is working now until a real fix is released.
By r4nd0m Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:37 pm
morph860 wrote:I know. I'm sure I can figure out a way to roll back the OSX, but don't really want to go that route. Read that someone on the Akai forum was able to hack the driver to get it to work with Catalina.

you may even be out of luck, cant remember when it was I think Snow Leopard or so when the new macs came with it but there werent any drivers for the new hardware in the previous osx release so you were pretty much stuffed and needed to wait ...
By morph860 Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:42 pm
It's been working fine so far
By andrewsterklein Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:26 am
morph860 wrote:It's been working fine so far

Would you be able to email me that driver file? I'm in a similar bind but I don't have quick access to a Mac that's running Mojave.
By morph860 Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:47 pm
I don't have it anymore, sorry. Sold my Studio Black a while ago.
By Mpcxuser112 Sun May 17, 2020 3:34 pm
Disabling SIP is a work around for installing incompatible pkgs in Mac Catalina.
By dirtdadon Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:23 am
That's exactly what I was looking for. I don't plan to use the Ren as an interface but I should still be able to use it with its software on Catalina or Big Sur, right?
By kaydigi Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:47 pm
dirtdadon wrote:That's exactly what I was looking for. I don't plan to use the Ren as an interface but I should still be able to use it with its software on Catalina or Big Sur, right?

Can’t confirm for Big Sur as my iMac isn’t compatible.

I’ll be getting a M1 (or M2) iMac or Mac book air. I think the mpc software works on it but none of the controllers or standalones work on it.