Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Ajax Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:07 pm
Anyone who followed that ASR-10 thread knows I just bought a new studio desk.. I went a little crazy with it..

So, it's pretty over the top...

The primary reason I went that big was to have keyboard and primary desk and shelf space for various pieces of gear I already have.. but, obviously, one of the supposed benefits of this desk setup is lots of rack space too... and one thing I've never done was feel the need to go for a rack synth or any other external FX gear.. I've never even owned a midi controller...

So, I'm looking for ideas... I have some disposable income to throw at this, so I'm looking to buy a few pieces.. Price is still definitely an issue, so I'll probably go the used route... and I wouldn't mind picking up older "vintage" gear, if there's a good reason for it (like the ASR-10, for example)..

Any hive mind recommendations?.. If this board is good for anything, I expect gearlust is near the top. So, what would you buy if you had to fill some rack space? Hit me with some ideas....
By Lampdog Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:11 pm
Roland Integra as a sound module.
By Cockdiesel Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:41 pm
Maybe an analog filter rack, some eqs and compressors? Maybe a patch bay if your going all out.
By Ocular Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:06 pm
ASR-10 rack like you mentioned is a good one. A patchbay like Cockdiesel said is good too. Perhaps Some sound modules like the Emu Planet Phatt or Mo'Phatt. Maybe rack mount an audio interface. If anything at least, there are rack mounted drawers and rack slide-out table extensions you can buy.
By Ajax Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:19 pm
NearTao wrote:Are you look for sound modules, effects, midi routing, audio buses...?

I'm open to anything (although I think I was assuming rack synths, mostly).. Really just trying to get a sense of specific rack items folks would want... across the spectrum.
By Cockdiesel Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:09 pm
You can get triton racks and motifs pretty cheap these days in terms of sound modules. I think you have the sampler part taken care of. Highly suggest sound shaping options not available on n software. Analog filters some are even pretty cheap. Other sound processors to give your effects different flavors.
By Ajax Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:39 pm
Sense-A wrote:With the ASR-10 you don't need much else.

Just make music and record it.

LOL. Thanks for the tip... I'm actually making more music now than I ever have. With COVID, that hasn't been an issue.. and, god knows, you don't even need an ASR to make good stuff. If it was just about necessity, I bought whatever I needed years ago. This is more about want than need.
By Ajax Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:41 pm
Cockdiesel wrote:You can get triton racks and motifs pretty cheap these days in terms of sound modules. I think you have the sampler part taken care of. Highly suggest sound shaping options not available on n software. Analog filters some are even pretty cheap. Other sound processors to give your effects different flavors.

Yeah, I hear you. At this point, I'm not buying any more samplers for actual use, unless I stumble upon an actual SP-1200 for a song (fat chance these days). If I find good deals for collecting/investment purposes, that's another thing.

Im definitely leaning towards a Triton and/or Motif rack.. Have heard good things for years.
By terry towelling Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:05 pm
the ASR10 has very good effects. so you don't need any effects unit.
what are you using for pre-amps for sampling and tracking out? a dj mixer? an audio interface?
By Ajax Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:04 pm
terry towelling wrote:the ASR10 has very good effects. so you don't need any effects unit.
what are you using for pre-amps for sampling and tracking out? a dj mixer? an audio interface?

My primary sampler is an MPC-X and I don't use any pre-amps. At this point, I do all my mixing within the X, so I don't individually track out... but I do use a Focusrite to record into my Mac just to reduce my ultimate files to wav. As soon as I have the space (hopefully next week), I'm going to hook my X up to a Tuscan DP-32 and track out into that.
By Lampdog Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:22 am
Ajax wrote:I stumble upon an actual SP-1200 for a song (fat chance these days).

First in the video tutorial series.
By Fre$hBreath Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:44 am
If you get the ASR-10 Rack make sure to have the power supply looked at and possibly replaced because Ensoniq kinda cut corners in that area, but it will be worth it...
By Ajax Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:30 pm
Lampdog wrote:
Ajax wrote:I stumble upon an actual SP-1200 for a song (fat chance these days).

First in the video tutorial series.

Ha. I should be getting my 2400 within a month, I’d guess. Still not the real thing (even if it does end up being awesome).