MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By bliprock Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:26 am
So anyone made a progression for both minor and major scale so you have major and minor at the same time over say 16 pads?
I want to do quick key changes over one bank and wonder if anyone has done this at all? and how did it work out? I am in the middle of doing it and wonder if anyone has bothered to do this at all?
So to make it even and easy I will do C major scale chords and add an extra C an octave up at the end so I get a total of 16 chords. Then the 9th chord would be start of the A minor scale progression chords wise and again last chord being the A minor an octave up so its an even 16 chords. I figure that I should make it chromatic? Or will it not work like I think it will.
The idea is that then when in stand alone mode and using pad performance mode I have a user set of chords that on any root note would give me major and minor chords in same order but to the scale. So then any chord progression I make say in major, the bottom 8 pads, is minor in the top 8 pads if I just use the same pad pattern. hmm make sense?
This means I can do a key change without changing the pad performance settings right?
By chameleoned Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:08 am
Hmm Im not sure I follow exactly what you are trying to do. Maybe its just to early in the morning :lol: Amin and CMaj scales are the same notes anyhow right? In any case the tubedigga tutorial I saw on creating custom user patterns showed any combination of chords being saved as a user pattern, so I would think it should work. Pretty sure you could mix Maj,Min,dim, etc in any combination onto a set of pads.
By ACRE Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:38 pm
bliprock wrote:I figure that I should make it chromatic? Or will it not work like I think it will.
The idea is that then when in stand alone mode and using pad performance mode I have a user set of chords that on any root note would give me major and minor chords in same order but to the scale. So then any chord progression I make say in major, the bottom 8 pads, is minor in the top 8 pads if I just use the same pad pattern. hmm make sense?
This means I can do a key change without changing the pad performance settings right?

yes but you must save every chord 1 by 1 on each & every pad 1st, a bit of a tidius work there, but for live situation if you want to drive external gear, if it's the purpose, it can make sense. Otherwise, it's too much work when you can go much faster by creating your chords on a computer & back it up in the X & drag & drop the chords on the pad you want. Makes sense ?
By Ibunshi Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:07 am
I wish custom chords worked like it did on the old Korg Karma..

Press the keys you want, then simply assign it to the dedicated chords pads... On the Karma however, you only had 4 pads to assign them to..

But it would be so nice and fast if you could simply go into pad perform mode, hit a "assign chords" button and then whatever keys you pressed next, followed by pressing any of the mpc pads, would then stay there..

Along with this, it would also be nice if you could hit any pad, and scroll through the entire chord library that you have, and mix things up as you please..

The whole record to sequence and then convert seems oddly tedious and tacked on, even if at least functional enough.. vit things could be so much better.
By bliprock Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:51 am
OK so no one has an answer yet here. Sigh
yeah I have seen the videos and obviously no one replying has even tried it yet. . Ibunshi seems to get it. And WTF is ACRE on about, you can not drag chords off the sequence track onto a pads. And we are talking about using the MPC software to create custom chord progressions, and you can not do this in stand alone mode. So you are not helping.
OK so update: When doing the custom chord progression of triads it is saying 6 notes not 3 and not working. I did a bug report and see what happens. It seems broken. Or maybe there is not enough space between chords something.
No overlap on my notes, there is space between the notes and they are all aligned correctly. Just MPC software can not seem to see the correct chord at all. Frustrating as and assume it must be a bug here. Can anyone confirm.
By bliprock Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:00 am
Oh yeah and Ibunshi gets it. But I think that idea as well as the JJOS chord bank set up should be both available options. So just tell it what chord it is as well as play it in. Logic can sense the chord and tell you too, so should have that function as well I think.
By SuperKonquer Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:56 pm
You can literally do anything you want. The progression mode doesn't force notes into a scale,. It only transposes by semitones of what you originally played. As long as you label your progressions with enough info to know it contains multiple scales so you know what is when load you are fine. The scale box has no impact on what note/chords play in the progression. It will always show what you chose when made the progression even if it is wrong. Even the root key can be wrong. There is no detection involved in making progressions other than making the root note the deepest note of the first chord(which can be changed of course).

The progression file is just a simple text file that you can edit directly if you need
Chord names- rootnote-scale-note numbers-name of the progression- role of the chord-octave can all be edited directly here. You can even copy this into a text file and rename it progression and it will load. All that matter is the format and all the things in-between the second pair of " " can be edited

{
"progression": {
"name": "Blss- Valor",
"rootNote": "A",
"scale": "Natural Minor",
"recordingOctave": 2,
"chords": [
{
"name": "Am9",
"role": "BelowRoot",
"notes": [
]