MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Louis St. Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:31 am
I like old library records if I'm sampling from vinyl (no sample clearance and tons of styles to draw from)

I like to sample music from 8-bit gaming consoles like NES and C64 - NSFplay and SIDplay are players for the actual track rips for the games for each respective system. The entire libraries are freely available on the web.

for drums I like chopping breaks - Theres a nice collection of well known, classic vinyl breaks https://www.thesample.net/free-sample-packs/drum-loops/ here. I like to tweak chopped breaks and layer them with all kinds of sounds, For commercial sample packs, I like MSXII's "Straight Out The MPC" and Sammich Kit series.

For instruments, I like the F9 expansion pack if Im going for a polished industry sound, it's an absolute steal considering it's free... For more lofi and "boutique" style I got a few secret weapon expansions I use lol
By EnochLight Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:37 am
Louis St. wrote:I like old library records if I'm sampling from vinyl (no sample clearance and tons of styles to draw from)

As I have someone in the family with a library science degree who works at a city library as the head librarian, I can attest that many of their records most certainly still have copyright protection valid. In some instances, once a copyright is created, protection generally lasts for 70 years after the death of the writer and in some cases 95 years from publication or 120 years from creation. Shit, there's a group even copyright trolling the "Happy Birthday to You" song!
By Driven Crane Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:28 pm
EnochLight wrote:
Driven Crane wrote:Which of them would you recommend?
I do not like trap styles.
I need something fresh (a bit of drum classics, too) but musical enough.
Vocals, beats, exotic, abstract... no keys, basses - as i have real instruments for this purposes to sample them if i need.
Thank you!
P.S. I am a newbie here (Talkbass effect pedals veteran), so please, be patient.

It's a sampler, so the world is your oyster - sample anything you want! Obviously, make the right choices (if you plan to sell your music, then license and clear any samples you plan to use from commercial works). If you're doing this for a hobby, spend some time on YouTube and sample away. There's no rules.

That said, Splice and LoopCloud are great sources for curated content that's already cleared. You actually should have a 30-day free trial for Splice in your Akai account. Give it a try.

If you want an easy way to clear commercial content for actual release, try Tracklib - they're easy and affordable (and can save you a ton of legal headaches): https://www.tracklib.com/

Good luck, and most important - have fun!

Thank you very much, man!
By Driven Crane Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:30 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
Driven Crane wrote:Which of them would you recommend?
I do not like trap styles.
I need something fresh (a bit of drum classics, too) but musical enough.
Vocals, beats, exotic, abstract... no keys, basses - as i have real instruments for this purposes to sample them if i need.
Thank you!
P.S. I am a newbie here (Talkbass effect pedals veteran), so please, be patient.

Sample what ever you want, chop it up, manipulate it, make sure it's De minimis, can't be recognized, and don't self incriminate yourself. Then :lol: and make money. You can't fully trust sites like splice because 50% of those sounds are recycled from older packs, records, cd, tv, etc. So you still can be sued if you don't clear them. Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Like NearTao said, try https://www.mpc-samples.com/ or record your own sounds and design them.

And so... how to clear samples? Thank you!
By Driven Crane Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:33 pm
Louis St. wrote:I like old library records if I'm sampling from vinyl (no sample clearance and tons of styles to draw from)

I like to sample music from 8-bit gaming consoles like NES and C64 - NSFplay and SIDplay are players for the actual track rips for the games for each respective system. The entire libraries are freely available on the web.

for drums I like chopping breaks - Theres a nice collection of well known, classic vinyl breaks https://www.thesample.net/free-sample-packs/drum-loops/ here. I like to tweak chopped breaks and layer them with all kinds of sounds, For commercial sample packs, I like MSXII's "Straight Out The MPC" and Sammich Kit series.

For instruments, I like the F9 expansion pack if Im going for a polished industry sound, it's an absolute steal considering it's free... For more lofi and "boutique" style I got a few secret weapon expansions I use lol
Thank you for your advices!!!
By Monotremata Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:53 pm
Driven Crane wrote:And so... how to clear samples? Thank you!

Well normally, you have a publishing company or a label that helps take care of that. Somewhere, somehow a contract needs to be worked out with the original owner of the content for permission/payment/royalties/etc.. Its not usually something a lot of 'home musicians' have the means to do. I THINK publishers like ASCAP and BMI can take care of this for you, Im an ASCAP member but never looked into it. I just kinda wing it and hope nobody notices what Im using (Please dont EVER let John Carpenter hear my tracks).
By Lampdog Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:48 pm
83dude wrote:I do LOVE Radiooooo.com - 5 times ‚o‘ is important!

The very first time using the app, I recorded a song from 1930’s I think it was.
Instantly heard useable samples/chops in the song. Radiooooo is a win!
By bitermc Sat May 01, 2021 1:52 pm
83dude wrote:I do LOVE Radiooooo.com - 5 times ‚o‘ is important! They also sport an app. Try it for inspiration. :wink:

This is the best link I've seen in years. Thank you for sharing it :worthy:
By Parialated Mon May 03, 2021 1:50 pm
Lampdog wrote:
83dude wrote:I do LOVE Radiooooo.com - 5 times ‚o‘ is important!

The very first time using the app, I recorded a song from 1930’s I think it was.
Instantly heard useable samples/chops in the song. Radiooooo is a win!

Amazing!!
Thank you, this is gonna inspire so many bangers!