MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By acidpimp Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:37 pm
I haven’t had an MPC since the 2000, but just picked up the LIVE II and am loving it so far, however I’m seeing some limitations and I’m either still trying to figure out some features or they are missing all together.

I know how to randomize notes, but how do you randomize other parameters such as velocity or CC info? Is there a way to set probability per event?

The software synths are good quality, but the fact that there are only 3 (1 I’d never use) is really just a tease. Absolutely need an FM synth that can do a pure sine wave, and something with real routing capabilities to recreate a Buchla style complex oscillator for example. I understand the complexity with 3rd party VST support in standalone mode (this NEEDS to be figured out though), but standalone mode needs to support some type of plugin that users can create like Ableton’s implementation of Opcode Studio Max.

Another oversight, is the inability to send an analog clock out of the CV/Gate outputs. Yes, it is easy to send a 16th note trigger; etc. but the omission of having an actual clock that can do 24 or 48 pulse per quarter-note is frustrating and something that seems easy to correct via software. Also, considering the popularity and multiple recent versions of the MS-20, a Hz/Octave option for the CV out should be implemented as well.

As far as the sampler goes, for a few years, I’ve had a cheap DJ program on my iPad that can isolate or remove vocals, drums; etc. perfectly. Akai, being the kings of sampling technology, I assumed would have this technology out of the box. Whatever it cost for the licensing, this absolutely needs to be done. The technology exists, but now if I want to isolate a vocal I have to run it through my iPad (i’m sure I can do it on PC I’ve just never looked it up ) and record the audio out. It’s still can be done, but I am scratching my head how an iOS app can do this simply but my new $1200 sampler can’t.

If any of these features are hidden in menus, someone please let me know, but if not I hope Akai is reading this and will consider these suggestions for future updates.
By NearTao Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:12 pm
acidpimp wrote:I know how to randomize notes, but how do you randomize other parameters such as velocity or CC info? Is there a way to set probability per event?

No way to randomize parameters as such like that at the moment. Maybe in a future update? At the moment this is a gap compared to some other hardware that has this feature.

acidpimp wrote:The software synths are good quality, but the fact that there are only 3 (1 I’d never use) is really just a tease. Absolutely need an FM synth that can do a pure sine wave, and something with real routing capabilities to recreate a Buchla style complex oscillator for example. I understand the complexity with 3rd party VST support in standalone mode (this NEEDS to be figured out though), but standalone mode needs to support some type of plugin that users can create like Ableton’s implementation of Opcode Studio Max.

Yeah, the 3 show a good proof of concept, but it also further shows the gaps. I doubt we're going to get anything fancy, but it is possible that somebody could hack something in at some point.

acidpimp wrote:Another oversight, is the inability to send an analog clock out of the CV/Gate outputs. Yes, it is easy to send a 16th note trigger; etc. but the omission of having an actual clock that can do 24 or 48 pulse per quarter-note is frustrating and something that seems easy to correct via software. Also, considering the popularity and multiple recent versions of the MS-20, a Hz/Octave option for the CV out should be implemented as well.

Maybe? I'm kinda doubtful we'd see this, but you never know!

acidpimp wrote:As far as the sampler goes, for a few years, I’ve had a cheap DJ program on my iPad that can isolate or remove vocals, drums; etc. perfectly. Akai, being the kings of sampling technology, I assumed would have this technology out of the box. Whatever it cost for the licensing, this absolutely needs to be done. The technology exists, but now if I want to isolate a vocal I have to run it through my iPad (i’m sure I can do it on PC I’ve just never looked it up ) and record the audio out. It’s still can be done, but I am scratching my head how an iOS app can do this simply but my new $1200 sampler can’t.

Well iOS is an application ecosystem. Sure it's walled garden, but it is open for any developers to do something with.

Akai's MPC is a closed ecosystem, so somebody would have to have the interest to hack it to do something other than intended, because Akai is very unlikely to open it up. At least it is a common platform (arm) and it is running linux, so given enough time you might see pure data or other things running on it...

acidpimp wrote:If any of these features are hidden in menus, someone please let me know, but if not I hope Akai is reading this and will consider these suggestions for future updates.

It is not clear that Akai reads anything on this forum. There's been other sites that they've had product managers engage in such as gearspace.com (formerly gearsluts.com)... but I don't think many people here know how to get in contact with them.
By ace_of_dub Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:51 pm
64hz wrote:Sounds like you didn't investigate before buying a €1299 machine. Can't really blame akai for that.

I must agree here. Never buy a device for what it could be or eventual updates, only buy a device for its current specs.

but I am scratching my head how an iOS app can do this simply but my new $1200 sampler can’t.

Why buy a MPC Live at first place then?
By EnochLight Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:04 pm
64hz wrote:Sounds like you didn't investigate before buying a €1299 machine. Can't really blame akai for that.

Yeah, I’m a bit surprised. There is such a huge amount of detailed information out there, including user videos and actual Akai videos, that anyone can easily see what these machines can and cannot do before dropping $1300 USD on them - including the entire owner’s manual. Maybe the OP decided to do an impulse buy late one night? :shock: :lol:
By EnochLight Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:07 pm
acidpimp wrote: but if not I hope Akai is reading this and will consider these suggestions for future updates.

Akai does not come here and certainly doesn’t read user feature requests here. This place is just an echo chamber for current users. If you want to make an actual feature request that Akai will read, you have to use the feedback option in the desktop MPC Software and submit it direct to Akai. Look at the little smiley face in the lower right corner of the desktop software.
By acidpimp Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:58 am
EnochLight wrote:

Yeah, I’m a bit surprised. There is such a huge amount of detailed information out there, including user videos and actual Akai videos, that anyone can easily see what these machines can and cannot do before dropping $1300 USD on them - including the entire owner’s manual. Maybe the OP decided to do an impulse buy late one night? :shock: :lol:

Wow. So everyone is always 100% satisfied with everything they buy. That’s just dumb.
Of course I researched and it does basically what I want it to (if you actually read the post I say I’m loving it) - but being software based it’s fixable limitations are obvious. I don’t regret the purchase, and $1300 is actually cheap for what it does in 2001 when a CDJ costs almost $3K.
But again all my suggestions are fixable via software.
Also in my post I say I’m a previous MPC2000 user so to think I made a $1300 “impulse buy” is a delusional speculation, but everyone on the internet knows everything about every stranger from 1 post they didn’t actually read. I was actually a service tech for Akai from 1997-2000, so to think I didn’t know what I was buying simply because I have software suggestions is absurd.
By 40Beatz Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:33 pm
acidpimp wrote:
Wow. So everyone is always 100% satisfied with everything they buy. That’s just dumb.
Of course I researched and it does basically what I want it to (if you actually read the post I say I’m loving it) - but being software based it’s fixable limitations are obvious. I don’t regret the purchase, and $1300 is actually cheap for what it does in 2001 when a CDJ costs almost $3K.
But again all my suggestions are fixable via software.

Sooooo What other Standalone Hardware Sequence/Sampler/Drum Machine is out there, that can do More than the X/Live/2 can do?

Im Completely Satisfied lol. A lot of people are comparing what a Full Fledged DAW can do, compared to the Akai Standalone!

Playin Devil's Advocate......the MPC Software is Trash compared to Other DAW's out there.

In my opinion...If anybody cant get down on the Standalone, they definitely need to stay behind the Monitor and Mouse to make Music :lol:
By EnochLight Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:55 pm
acidpimp wrote:I was actually a service tech for Akai from 1997-2000, so to think I didn’t know what I was buying simply because I have software suggestions is absurd.

Cool. So if you were a service tech for Akai, I'm sure you know how to get actual feature requests to them. :nod: Anyway, relax man - we were just taking the piss outta' ya' (though I wasn't joking when I said this place is an echo chamber for users and Akai doesn't come here). Try sending that feature wishlist to them as I described above - maybe if enough users request it, you'll see it get implemented in an update.
By Monotremata Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:50 pm
Seeing as you were a service tech from 1997-2000, you are aware this is NOT the Akai you 'worked for' and it has been sold and rebought twice since then and is a completely different company and management team than it was 21 years ago? That was Akai Japan. Now you're dealing with Akai/inMusic Rhode Island.