MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Methlab Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:18 am
Monotremata wrote:No, actually it wasnt. The info about the Force beta was posted a couple weeks ago before you even got your brand new MPC (I found the leak info on page 869 of the thread if anyone wants to read what user discopotato posted about it). It was a joke, someone is always bitching about the timing on the MPC.

Oh and looks like there wasnt any mention of polarity on the envelopes either but were getting adjustable curves. Maybe they'll work like Ableton's soon.

Oh nice ill go check it out.

Yeah I’m a bit bummed about the timing, but ill figure it out. I’d like to think Akai can fix it with an update but who knows. The architecture of the MPC has changed a lot since the old ones. I’m more disappointed that I didn’t research better about this before I bought one, but it’s a pretty sweet machine regardless. Looking forward to 3.0.
By Ultros Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:41 pm
Methlab wrote:That “someone” was me and more people have chimed in since. It’s a real issue for many of us who sync hardware up to the DAW.

I hope the new update tightens up the MIDI sync as well and also adds the LFO features you mentioned.

I generally don't like to blame the mpc for clock skew. If all your other machines are on time and one is out of sync i'd start to suspect the cables, routing, or module configuration.

Chaining them in sequence using the thru port can cause weird issues from time to time and want to be set up in order lowest to highest lattency or vice versa. Moving the device in question to the start or end of the chain may clear it up, or replacing a cable or advancing / retarding the timing on the module itself. My microkorg allows me to advance or retard the clock to tune it.

I assume you've tried all this crap though, it's frustrating when stuff hits off time isn't it.
By Methlab Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:17 pm
Ultros wrote:
Methlab wrote:That “someone” was me and more people have chimed in since. It’s a real issue for many of us who sync hardware up to the DAW.

I hope the new update tightens up the MIDI sync as well and also adds the LFO features you mentioned.

I generally don't like to blame the mpc for clock skew. If all your other machines are on time and one is out of sync i'd start to suspect the cables, routing, or module configuration.

Chaining them in sequence using the thru port can cause weird issues from time to time and want to be set up in order lowest to highest lattency or vice versa. Moving the device in question to the start or end of the chain may clear it up, or replacing a cable or advancing / retarding the timing on the module itself. My microkorg allows me to advance or retard the clock to tune it.

I assume you've tried all this **** though, it's frustrating when stuff hits off time isn't it.

Yeah and I just set my 4000 back up and everything is dialed in and dead on again when I record into the DAW. The BPM clocks don't even waiver on my synths and with the Live they were dancing all over the place.

Unfortunately in this case, it absolutely is the MPC Live.

I am hoping they fix it and if so I will buy the X. For now, I'm riding with the 4K.
By Ultros Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:43 am
These modern mpc's are just a virtualised mpc experience all done in software. I am sure there will continue to be endless pitfalls where the hardware versions have none. Sadly now we rely on ALSA and rtc to clock midi rather than a hardware clock. Do you have any other devices that send clock? perhaps use that device to set it, and force the mpc to receive it so the mpc isnt the master of time.
By 83dude Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:34 am
Ultros wrote:These modern mpc's are just a virtualised mpc experience all done in software. I am sure there will continue to be endless pitfalls where the hardware versions have none. Sadly now we rely on ALSA and rtc to clock midi rather than a hardware clock. Do you have any other devices that send clock? perhaps use that device to set it, and force the mpc to receive it so the mpc isnt the master of time.

That‘s exactly what I had suggested. External clocking comes with its‘ own problems, but in your case I‘d consider it.

Clocking devices unfortunately are not cheap, but very stable and reliable, since the processor and related cables only process clock signals, no channel info etc. This makes it a highly specialized machine. I wouldn‘t want to miss mine:
https://www.thomann.de/de/e_rm_midiclock.htm?o=2
By 40Beatz Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:23 pm
Monotremata wrote:The MPC thread over at Gearhookerz moves so fast the day after he posted it, there was probably 10 new pages after because someone was bitching about sloppy MIDI timing or something.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
By Methlab Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:02 pm
83dude wrote:
Ultros wrote:These modern mpc's are just a virtualised mpc experience all done in software. I am sure there will continue to be endless pitfalls where the hardware versions have none. Sadly now we rely on ALSA and rtc to clock midi rather than a hardware clock. Do you have any other devices that send clock? perhaps use that device to set it, and force the mpc to receive it so the mpc isnt the master of time.

That‘s exactly what I had suggested. External clocking comes with its‘ own problems, but in your case I‘d consider it.

Clocking devices unfortunately are not cheap, but very stable and reliable, since the processor and related cables only process clock signals, no channel info etc. This makes it a highly specialized machine. I wouldn‘t want to miss mine:
https://www.thomann.de/de/e_rm_midiclock.htm?o=2

This is the exact device I slave my MPCs to.

The Live slaved to the ERM is jittery and latent. The synths getting that clock from the Live's outs are as well.

The 4000 setup the exact same way is dead on the grid and the synths are as well.
By FrankWhite4Mayor Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:48 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:Everything is under NDA so no one can share what may or may not be coming. I have no problem with people speculating and discussing what they'd like to see, but leaking details of forthcoming features is simply going to get the whole beta testing program pulled.

Personally I think it would be a fantastic instance of karma if material details were leaked and Akai got a nice kick in the balls. Their beta program is a joke... I don't see a downside if the beta program were to be abolished. The reason being Akai had no problem exploiting customers as beta users for 2.0 that was released with missing features, and in addition seems to have no willingness to provide any information to customers related to when bugs will be fixed. Given the arrogance and disrespect exhibited from their side, it wouldn't surprise me if someone took the step and vented.

With respect to a NDA - I highly doubt that they (a US entity) could enforce a such contract against an individual in foreign jurisdictions to the extent that there are any non-US persons included in the beta program. Furthermore, unless served with a subpoena from a UK court, how would they ever know if let's say someone posted on this forum with a ghost profile?
By MPC-Tutor Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:50 pm
FrankWhite4Mayor wrote:Personally I think it would be a fantastic instance of karma if material details were leaked and Akai got a nice kick in the balls. Their beta program is a joke... I don't see a downside if the beta program were to be abolished. The reason being Akai had no problem exploiting customers as beta users for 2.0 that was released with missing features, and in addition seems to have no willingness to provide any information to customers related to when bugs will be fixed. Given the arrogance and disrespect exhibited from their side, it wouldn't surprise me if someone took the step and vented.

As someone in the beta program, it seems to be working fine and is helping them locate bugs before final release. Seems like Akai are learning from their past mistakes, so not sure I see the reasoning behind your opinion regarding 2.0. Avoiding buggy releases is the entire point of having this new beta program. It of course relies on people finding the bugs in the first place.

With respect to a NDA - I highly doubt that they (a US entity) could enforce a such contract against an individual in foreign jurisdictions to the extent that there are any non-US persons included in the beta program.

It's not about the legal side, the point I'm making is if people break the NDA, Akai will pull the beta program and we're likely back to buggy public releases - that's the inevitable 'penalty' for people breaking the NDA. This is all about us getting the MPC that we all want so it seems counter-intuitive to try to sabotage the beta just because you are angry with how buggy things were in the past. Really odd logic.
By 40Beatz Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:00 pm
Thats whats up! Make sure you guys work on the Track Mute Behavior. I know that Better Time Stretch Algorithm in Standalone is Probably out of the question because of HardWare Limitations
By FrankWhite4Mayor Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:00 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:
FrankWhite4Mayor wrote:Personally I think it would be a fantastic instance of karma if material details were leaked and Akai got a nice kick in the balls. Their beta program is a joke... I don't see a downside if the beta program were to be abolished. The reason being Akai had no problem exploiting customers as beta users for 2.0 that was released with missing features, and in addition seems to have no willingness to provide any information to customers related to when bugs will be fixed. Given the arrogance and disrespect exhibited from their side, it wouldn't surprise me if someone took the step and vented.

As someone in the beta program, it seems to be working fine and is helping them locate bugs before final release. Seems like Akai are learning from their past mistakes, so not sure I see the reasoning behind your opinion regarding 2.0. Avoiding buggy releases is the entire point of having this new beta program. It of course relies on people finding the bugs in the first place.

With respect to a NDA - I highly doubt that they (a US entity) could enforce a such contract against an individual in foreign jurisdictions to the extent that there are any non-US persons included in the beta program.

It's not about the legal side, the point I'm making is if people break the NDA, Akai will pull the beta program and we're likely back to buggy public releases - that's the inevitable 'penalty' for people breaking the NDA. This is all about us getting the MPC that we all want so it seems counter-intuitive to try to sabotage the beta just because you are angry with how buggy things were in the past. Really odd logic.

Perhaps you forgot, however the advertisements for 2.0 in conjunction with the release of the MPC live/X noted standalone time stretching. That feature was not implemented until after the fact via an update. That constitutes false advertisement. At this point, who cares if they nullify the beta program. It's evidently not working as intended when they keep releasing faulty updates. Mr. Goodliff could perhaps spend more time working on his code as opposed to his nails. In reading the forum, it seems that folks hold 2.7 as the most stable version; certainly not the current.

With respect to your comment insinuating "odd logic" - it's rather a reaction to their poor conduct in the market place and on-going hubristic tone towards paying customers. Greed should be kept in check.
By MPC-Tutor Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:18 pm
FrankWhite4Mayor wrote: At this point, who cares if they nullify the beta program. It's evidently not working as intended when they keep releasing faulty updates....
...With respect to your comment insinuating "odd logic" - it's rather a reaction to their poor conduct in the market place and on-going hubristic tone towards paying customers. Greed should be kept in check.

Public beta testing is going well, ultimately the forum beta testers are mostly new to testing and doing it in their free time, they are catching bugs and offering good feature suggestions. The MPC continues to grow and plenty of more good stuff coming. No doubt there will be bugs, all software has bugs, even after extensive bug testing. I see nothing but positive progress with Akai opening up beta testing like this. Hopefully over time we'll see the beta testing program broadening and continue to improve.
By Bezo Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:25 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:As someone in the beta program, it seems to be working fine and is helping them locate bugs before final release. Seems like Akai are learning from their past mistakes, so not sure I see the reasoning behind your opinion regarding 2.0. Avoiding buggy releases is the entire point of having this new beta program. It of course relies on people finding the bugs in the first place.

Does Akai make requirements for what's tested, or are participants allowed to test as they see fit?