MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Ultros Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:10 am
What's up with this talkbox plugin? I watched a video of a dude on youtube rockin it like a vocoder. He talks too fast for me to grasp how he's configured it. Do any of you fine folks know how to set this up? If so could you please gimme a step by step proceedure so I can learn wtf step i'm missing... I keep stabbing at it and failing.

I own a legit vocoder but if i can do it with out firing up my mixer and synth and sampling it, that'd be great.

Here's the video i watched, he mentioned one piece of hardware i didnt catch. I picked up the shure sm58, the live, the mpk, but then mentioned it going out to something else? Dunno if that matters though.

By SakisX Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:31 pm
No plugin is used , read the first comment
"So here's what I did. I'm driving Tube Synth running a (SawTooth) Patch out of output 3 into the Bosko's ElectroSpit. I'm then using MPKMini to trigger the sound like I would with my normal Talkbox."
By Ultros Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:10 pm
Ahhhh electro spit, thanks man for some reason i kept hearing it wrong! Was just not clicking like a bad lyric. Damn so he is using an external talk box, lame!

Well what the heck is the point of the air effect then? It's one of the few I see absolutely no use for. It's not much of a talkbox if we cant send an oscillator to and mic to it.

+1

By Lampdog Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:19 pm
Ultros wrote:It's not much of a talkbox if we cant send an oscillator to and mic to it.
By hyena Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:57 am
Ultros wrote:
Well what the heck is the point of the air effect then? It's one of the few I see absolutely no use for. It's not much of a talkbox if we cant send an oscillator to and mic to it.

in fact it is more or less just a formant filter with modulation...it does it nice tho...but its not a talkbox fo sure
By Bonsaipanda Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:30 am
At some point we might see a full-on patchbay in the MPC, where one can connect anything however they want it. This is hinted at on the standalone where it says "2 in / 2 out" etc. Haven't heard any news about it though so it's probably far away in the todo list (if it's there at all). There are actually a lot of stuff in the standalone that would benefit a lot from free-form patching, we'll see if they implement it in the future.
By Lampdog Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:29 pm
hyena wrote:in fact it is more or less just a formant filter with modulation..

This is how I see it and how I've used it. I enjoy this effect alot.
By Ultros Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:47 pm
I wont lie them naming it talkbox grinds my gears lol. I agree its neat in its own way but its not what its named.

I sat there all day one day trying to route crap into a submix hoping that my redirected mic and synth plugin into the submix with "talkbox" would maybe have some magical property where it'd pick up the oscillator. Nope.

I'm sure i'm not the only guy who's thought "hey a talkbox!" and quickly realised ITS A GAWT DAMN LIE.
By Lampdog Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:19 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyone who has a Korg Triton/Extreme/TritonRack (hardware, idk about the software) have a powerful vocoder effect there in case they didn't know.
By Ultros Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:58 pm
Since my microkorg came in I've not stopped using it. I am now a soul-pimp! lol! I am having a blast with the vocoder. VOCODERS FOR ALL, terrible plugins for others!
By Lampdog Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:06 pm
Korg has BEEN with the vocoder for decades and still going. It's a fun effect.

Vocoders try to get the instrument to sound like a voice, takes the voice and digitally reconstructs it.

Talkboxes get the voice to sound like an instrument.