MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By bees80 Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:12 pm
reneefilho wrote:So, maybe you can help me with your gear. And make a test.

4/4 kick drum at MPC One
4/4 kick drum at a Analog kick drum generator

Test 1: a sequencer sending midi to both gears, and send 4/4 kick drum trigger to Analog kd synth

> sequencer
>> MPC One
>> Analog kick drum

Test 2: MPC One being the master clock sending midi clock to sequencer

> MPC One (Master Clock)
>> Sequencer
>>> Analog kick drum

Test 3: MPC One being the master clock sending midi information to Analog kd synth

> MPC One (Master Clock)
>> Analog kick drum

Check these cases results. Please let me know.

I found at the Forum, some topic saying Firmware 2.x reduced the latency to 15 ms.
That 15 mili seconds, if you have 2 kick drums playing together, you can listen a bit
difference between both.

So if you are programming a drum using both gears, it is not possible to keep the
groove flowing this way.

Thank you!!!

bees80 wrote:Me neither. I have 6 external synths (yes, also analog) attached to my mpc live, 4 of them are multitimbral. My sync is tight as frog ass.

I'm not sure what the difference is between test 2 and 3.

However, test 2 is how i always work. And my groove is tight as frogbut. Even got a nice compliment about it today. Somebody said: it's a nice groove. Ego game strong today :nod:
By reneefilho Fri May 01, 2020 1:22 pm
I got tired of Akai Customer Center / In Music.

My first MPC One had a screen problem, but it was sold out. So they offered me to buy a B Stock, to keep working during these lockdown timing. So i bought the B Stock that also had a screen problem.

Akai & In Music did nothing for me. Don't give any assistance.

So i return both units. Very disappointed with MPC One, Akai and In Music.

Terrible experience. Sorry to say that, but it cause me lots of problems.
By reneefilho Fri May 01, 2020 1:25 pm
Yes, you are right ... as Master Clock, the Clock Latency was good (just digital envelopes very slow, so no groove/punch on drums).

But as Slave ... was impossible to use. Only if ERM1 or ACME SND4 in between to compensate the delay.

CharlesRandolph wrote:The MPC ONE as master no latency issues, The MPC ONE, LIVE, X as slave is a different story. :nod:
By NearTao Fri May 01, 2020 3:10 pm
reneefilho wrote:Yes, you are right ... as Master Clock, the Clock Latency was good (just digital envelopes very slow, so no groove/punch on drums).

I'd still like to better understand what it means that the digital envelopes are slow. If you sample your analog gear into the MPC One, and trim the sample does this digital envelope issue go away?
By Methlab Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:51 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:The MPC ONE as master no latency issues, The MPC ONE, LIVE, X as slave is a different story. :nod:

Im just finding this out now. The OP was 100% correct. When you slave the MPC Live, it’s jittery and latent.

Is the X still like this too? What a disappointment if so. I’m used to a hybrid workflow with my old MPCs so I need to slave mine. Was never an issue before.

I believe it is really tight as a master. I also don’t have an issue with the envelopes or sound of the Live. But the timing when slaved is not up to snuff. I’d like to think that the X would be better.
By cda Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:54 am
I am thinking of getting the MPC One and found this thread interesting and worrying.

I would like to slave the MPC One to a Tascam 2488 Neo using MIDI clock. This would be using the MIDI out socket on the Tascam connected to the MIDI in on the MPC One. I would like to use eternal sound sources connected to the MPC One MIDI out (for example Kronos2, Vermona DRM1 MKIII, Minilogue). I would be using a Kenton MIDI Thru-5.

Can I expect issues trying to do this?

I have an MPC 500 which works fine in this way but is getting a bit worn out!

Many thanks,

CDA
By ssnochevy Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:09 pm
I slave my MPC Live to my Squarp Pyramid as a standard part of my workflow. Zero issues. I also slave it to my IPad apps (via focusrite audio interface midi port). Also works really well.

All my issues start when I make MPC the Master lol (mostly due to the nature of the other stuff I use). Different strokes, I suppose.

One thing I’ll point out is that having a midi controller that can send start/stop messages in MMC,MTC, and other midi formats simultaneously could be a simple but limited solution to clock issues (think MPD226 - I have one and it helps when things get fussy)
By cda Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:41 pm
Thanks very much for your reply. I am starting to think that the only way to see if the MPC One will work for me is to buy one and test it.

I am unsure how using something like the MPD226 and start/stop messages in MMC, MTC would work, mainly because I am not too sure what those things are. Is it another form of sync?

Many thanks,

CDA.

ssnochevy wrote:I slave my MPC Live to my Squarp Pyramid as a standard part of my workflow. Zero issues. I also slave it to my IPad apps (via focusrite audio interface midi port). Also works really well.

All my issues start when I make MPC the Master lol (mostly due to the nature of the other stuff I use). Different strokes, I suppose.

One thing I’ll point out is that having a midi controller that can send start/stop messages in MMC,MTC, and other midi formats simultaneously could be a simple but limited solution to clock issues (think MPD226 - I have one and it helps when things get fussy)
By ssnochevy Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:49 pm
Basically: MMC, MTC, Midi Clock are all forms of sync. The idea here is that having a solid midi controller that can send transport messages (start, stop, start over) via one or multiple sync formats will allow you to play your gear in-sync. I mentioned the mpd226 because it can do this (there are others that can too).

That said, it's in your best interest to read the midi section of the manual thoroughly before you buy. The MPC's are far more capable than given credit for in regards to midi. Watch some tube digga tutorials on youtube...
By cda Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:25 am
Thankyou very much again for your reply. I do believe the Tascam 2488 Neo supports MTC. I will check on this when I am back home. My goal is to record all synths/seqs etc to the Tascam multitrack and then record the vocal parts, then export the wavs and mix in Studio One. This is my preferred method of recording for various reasons.

I will be certain to download and read the manual before buying. Thankyou for your tutorial suggestions - I will check that out.

Thanks,

CDA.

ssnochevy wrote:Basically: MMC, MTC, Midi Clock are all forms of sync. The idea here is that having a solid midi controller that can send transport messages (start, stop, start over) via one or multiple sync formats will allow you to play your gear in-sync. I mentioned the mpd226 because it can do this (there are others that can too).

That said, it's in your best interest to read the midi section of the manual thoroughly before you buy. The MPC's are far more capable than given credit for in regards to midi. Watch some tube digga tutorials on youtube...