MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By kvmoore Tue May 04, 2021 11:48 pm
I can do this while in program edit in my older MPCs (4000, 2500). How do you do it on the One and the X? Can you?

It would make editing drumkits and expecially keygroups much faster and easier if I could hit a note on a midi keyboard to select the current sound to be edited while in program edit. All of the old-school professional rack samplers had this feature too.
By 83dude Wed May 05, 2021 5:49 am
kvmoore wrote:I can do this while in program edit in my older MPCs (4000, 2500). How do you do it on the One and the X? Can you?

You can. It does that for either, drum and keygroup programs. Don‘t know what you‘re doing wrong.
By bitermc Wed May 05, 2021 6:36 am
I guess he means when in program edit mode, hitting a note in the keyboard doesn't take you to the keygroup and samples assigned to that note. It works that way if you hit a pad, but not for a note on a midi controller.
By 83dude Wed May 05, 2021 7:13 am
bitermc wrote:I guess he means when in program edit mode, hitting a note in the keyboard doesn't take you to the keygroup and samples assigned to that note. It works that way if you hit a pad, but not for a note on a midi controller.

Ah, thanks for clarifying. Not on a machine ATM and can‘t check.
By MPC-Tutor Wed May 05, 2021 9:15 am
Hit a pad, that pad or corresponding keygroup is selected in Program Edit. it works. Really don't see what the issue is here, surely if you are using an MPC then using the pads to select a pad is just about as convenient as it gets? I personally prefer that I can continue to play an instrument with my keyboard without that keyboard changing the currently selected pad/keygroup.
By kvmoore Wed May 05, 2021 5:35 pm
bitermc wrote:I guess he means when in program edit mode, hitting a note in the keyboard doesn't take you to the keygroup and samples assigned to that note. It works that way if you hit a pad, but not for a note on a midi controller.

Yes!!! That's exactly what I mean. It would make EDITING programs much easier if I could select a note via midi keyboard controller while in program edit. I can do that on the older MPCs.
By 83dude Fri May 07, 2021 10:45 am
kvmoore wrote:

Yes!!! That's exactly what I mean. It would make EDITING programs much easier if I could select a note via midi keyboard controller while in program edit. I can do that on the older MPCs.

I tried it today during a lecture and the corresponding keygroup or drum pad are selected. Didn‘t try multiple keygroups in the same range, but this works as intended, I assume.
By kvmoore Sat May 08, 2021 6:02 am
83dude wrote:I tried it today during a lecture and the corresponding keygroup or drum pad are selected. Didn‘t try multiple keygroups in the same range, but this works as intended, I assume.

Did you use an external midi "keyboard" (not pads) to select the drum note/keygroup to edit? If so and you were indeed able to do this successfully, that is wonderful!!!

What settings did you use on the mpc in the midi/sync setup screen and midi control screen in relation to your midi (keyboard?) controller? I still have not been able to get this to work using my midi keyboard.
By 83dude Sat May 08, 2021 10:32 am
kvmoore wrote:
83dude wrote:I tried it today during a lecture and the corresponding keygroup or drum pad are selected. Didn‘t try multiple keygroups in the same range, but this works as intended, I assume.

Did you use an external midi "keyboard" (not pads) to select the drum note/keygroup to edit? If so and you were indeed able to do this successfully, that is wonderful!!!

What settings did you use on the mpc in the midi/sync setup screen and midi control screen in relation to your midi (keyboard?) controller? I still have not been able to get this to work using my midi keyboard.

Not much to it. Select the program via program edit, make sure the MIDI track armed (record ready) and has the proper MIDI input. Didn‘t configure much, pretty much fresh out of the box.
By kvmoore Mon May 10, 2021 4:32 am
83dude wrote:Not much to it. Select the program via program edit, make sure the MIDI track armed (record ready) and has the proper MIDI input. Didn‘t configure much, pretty much fresh out of the box.

Ok. I've finally got a chance to mess with the MPC again. I just tried what you mentioned above but that doesn’t work as far as selecting the keygroups go. I cannot get the midi keyboard to behave like the pads in program edit for some reason.
By kvmoore Mon May 10, 2021 7:42 pm
bitermc wrote:Haven't tested myself yet, but make sure to select the proper MIDI input and channel. By default MPC listens on all inputs and all channels for the armed track.

Thanks. Yes, I specifically checked for that as well as several other settings as well while I was trying to get it to work. However, the outcome was still unsuccessful afterwards.
By Ultros Mon May 10, 2021 9:22 pm
I cant get any results either dude. I have sat here for about 20 minutes now poking through menus enabling disabling controller modes and stuff. Nothing! My keyboard via 5 pin lights up the coresponding pad, but its not selected. I would hazard to guess they havent implemented such a function yet.

The MPC software is coded to only take input messages (for certain things) from its own interface controls so perhaps this lack of ability to use our devices as the main interface control is what is hindering our desires.
By kvmoore Mon May 10, 2021 10:24 pm
Ultros wrote:I cant get any results either dude. I have sat here for about 20 minutes now poking through menus enabling disabling controller modes and stuff. Nothing! My keyboard via 5 pin lights up the coresponding pad, but its not selected. I would hazard to guess they havent implemented such a function yet.

The MPC software is coded to only take input messages (for certain things) from its own interface controls so perhaps this lack of ability to use our devices as the main interface control is what is hindering our desires.

Exactly!!!

This is what I've experienced after tackling with it for several hours doing pretty much the same things you did.

Perhaps this would be a good feature request to get Akai to implement. I don't see why the new MPCs shouldn't be able to select keygroups or drum sounds via midi note from an external keyboard while in program edit when considering the fact this is something older MPCs like the 1000/2500/4000 can do easily!!!