New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By SyntaxOne Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:00 pm
Hi everyone!

I worked with the MPC 1000 from roughly 2008 until 2012. Then, it broke in a million pieces. This was really sad for me, because I loved everything about it: the sequencer, Song Mode, the effects, etc.

Then, I bought the Renaissance, being super excited about the MPC Software, plug-ins, etc. But unfortunately, I hated its Song Mode and the way certain effects acted, and I totally got lost in all the plug-ins, etc. Also, always being in front of my computer screen started to kill me (work, leisures, etc.).

Finally, I stopped making beats all together in 2013.

Now, in 2021, I'm ready to go back to it. So I'm asking you, dear MPC heads: what MPC do you guys think I should get, knowing that I loved the MPC 1000 (especially its Song mode and the fact it is a standalone)?

I'm attracted to the MPC One, but I really don't know.

A SUPER BONUS would be able to do a descent mix/master out of this standalone machine, not having to rely too much on my compter.

Please don't tell me to «just go buy the MPC 1000 if you like it so much», it would be very rude and unproductive.

Thank you!
Last edited by SyntaxOne on Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Lampdog Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:30 pm
MPC One. All the new mpc's are standalone and/or controller.

It's VERY possible to get a good mix from the new mpc's.
Grab an MPC One and don't look back.
Live if you need your own internal hdd and extra connections.
X if you want all q-links available at once, more dedicated buttons, bigger screen.

DO NOT delete the default "AZ01" internal drive. On past MPC's many of us made it a practice to delete everything and build our own library, this is a mistake on newer mpc's. Instead use SD Card on MPC One. Live and X you can install your own HDD.
By Lampdog Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:15 pm
I mean listen to some of the beat battles sub-forum, some of us make those beats only on mpc's, mix and all. You most certainly can get a damn good mix from mpc.
By NearTao Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:35 pm
I loved my 1k with JJOS... but have to say... moved onto the MPC Live, and while I was a bit sad selling off the 1k and miss the odd feature here and there, I haven't really looked back.
By SyntaxOne Sat May 01, 2021 12:41 pm
NearTao wrote:I loved my 1k with JJOS... but have to say... moved onto the MPC Live, and while I was a bit sad selling off the 1k and miss the odd feature here and there, I haven't really looked back.

Thanks for your input!

Have you tried the MPC One?

What attracted you to the MPC Live?

Thanks again!
By NearTao Sat May 01, 2021 1:43 pm
I have not tried the MPC One, but I know a few folks who have them, and it sounds like a *very* similar experience to the MPC Live, so, functionally I'd say they are nearly identical. Just the price point, and a few obnoxious feature differences like no internal drive, cannot mount SD/USB storage in controller mode...

For the current line... I've gone from Live -> X -> Live II. I do miss a few things from the X, the larger screen is just a bit nicer for touch controls, and easier to read, 16 q-links is amazing (probably my biggest missed feature), and the Q-Link OLED displays are much better than the Q-Link overlay on the display.

Anyways, in particular for the Live, the portability is great. I used to travel a lot... in the "before time", so it was something that was a bit bulky, but fairly easy to travel with. I ended up moving to the X, and it was my first full sized MPC, and sold off my Live. When the Live II was announced I just kept thinking that it was nice to have something portable and I could carry around, and the enhancements to the system were pretty decent. I do a bit of modular work, so the CV outs were a real nice addition. Never wanted to have an MPC museum over here, so I ended up selling the X because I didn't need the 1k/X/Live II at the same time, and ultimately sold the 1k as well because while I still liked the workflow, I wanted to force myself to learn the Live more.

So all that said, I don't think I'd have any problems moving to or using the One. Muscle memory has taken over for a number of functions so I typically just hold Menu and tap the pad that is associated with the on screen mode and bounce around pretty quickly.

Specifically what I like about the Live though, and a lot of it overlaps with the One
* I find the pad sensitivity far better than the 1k with the upgraded pads (never got thick pads though)
* Autosampling is really slick, and while it is not the same as playing the instrument, it is quick and gets you some consistent control over sounds
* The addition of the AirFX is great, a lot of people sleep on these effects, but you can get real work done in the box
* The included synths are decent enough, and while I hope for more in the future, it's more than enough to get somebody started
* Pad Performance mode is quite good, definitely better implementations in some other systems, but it can help keep you going with just the 16 pads
* Memory has been a dream for me... I know some folks bag on it, but coming from 16/32/128mb systems, the 2gb is amazing... but I often use 60 seconds or less sample time, as I'm rarely working with audio tracks.
* The speaker on the Live II is pretty decent. You're not going to mix/master on it... but you can absolutely get a jam session going on it with other folks

Hope that helps.
By SyntaxOne Fri May 07, 2021 7:34 pm
NearTao wrote:I have not tried the MPC One, but I know a few folks who have them, and it sounds like a *very* similar experience to the MPC Live, so, functionally I'd say they are nearly identical. Just the price point, and a few obnoxious feature differences like no internal drive, cannot mount SD/USB storage in controller mode...

For the current line... I've gone from Live -> X -> Live II. I do miss a few things from the X, the larger screen is just a bit nicer for touch controls, and easier to read, 16 q-links is amazing (probably my biggest missed feature), and the Q-Link OLED displays are much better than the Q-Link overlay on the display.

Anyways, in particular for the Live, the portability is great. I used to travel a lot... in the "before time", so it was something that was a bit bulky, but fairly easy to travel with. I ended up moving to the X, and it was my first full sized MPC, and sold off my Live. When the Live II was announced I just kept thinking that it was nice to have something portable and I could carry around, and the enhancements to the system were pretty decent. I do a bit of modular work, so the CV outs were a real nice addition. Never wanted to have an MPC museum over here, so I ended up selling the X because I didn't need the 1k/X/Live II at the same time, and ultimately sold the 1k as well because while I still liked the workflow, I wanted to force myself to learn the Live more.

So all that said, I don't think I'd have any problems moving to or using the One. Muscle memory has taken over for a number of functions so I typically just hold Menu and tap the pad that is associated with the on screen mode and bounce around pretty quickly.

Specifically what I like about the Live though, and a lot of it overlaps with the One
* I find the pad sensitivity far better than the 1k with the upgraded pads (never got thick pads though)
* Autosampling is really slick, and while it is not the same as playing the instrument, it is quick and gets you some consistent control over sounds
* The addition of the AirFX is great, a lot of people sleep on these effects, but you can get real work done in the box
* The included synths are decent enough, and while I hope for more in the future, it's more than enough to get somebody started
* Pad Performance mode is quite good, definitely better implementations in some other systems, but it can help keep you going with just the 16 pads
* Memory has been a dream for me... I know some folks bag on it, but coming from 16/32/128mb systems, the 2gb is amazing... but I often use 60 seconds or less sample time, as I'm rarely working with audio tracks.
* The speaker on the Live II is pretty decent. You're not going to mix/master on it... but you can absolutely get a jam session going on it with other folks

Hope that helps.

Wow! Thanks for your detailed reply! I appreciate it a lot! :D Have a nice day!
By saltmcgault Fri May 07, 2021 9:26 pm
I owned a mpc2500 from 2006-2020 and one of my friends has a mpc1000 it was not as enjoyable using his 1000 but I could work with it. I bought the mpc X in 2020 and unfortunately sold my mpc2500. I use the x in stand alone only. I haven't crossed that controller line just yet. After you get familiar with the new slang and learn the ins n outs on the newer mpc's its pretty dope. I'd say go for a the newer mpc's if you find yourself not wanting to go that route you wont be disappointed with a 2500 with (jjos). Watch some vids on the one, live, and x. That should give you a good idea if that's something you would like and I think you would.
By DokBrown Fri May 07, 2021 11:18 pm
if you want to do everything with the MPC, the new MPCs are essential. These new MPCs are a beast but have a much higher learning curve.

If u just to do basic chopping & MIDI, I’d get another MPC1000 or 2500 with JJOS. You will still need ableton/FL for mixing/mastering, but you will prolly push beats out faster with the older MPC . . . .
By Ill-Green Sat May 08, 2021 11:00 pm
Well, I made a whole album solely on an MPC500. Yes, the five-hundred. So all MPCs are essential in what you need it to do.

But compared to the newer MPCs, I wouldn't go back either, MPC500 is a nightmare. When I first received the Live, it was a breath of fresh air, it was really ease of use. But I sold it because the DJS-1000 was the MPC I always wanted with its on-the-fly editing, timestretching and sampling, all while the sequencer plays. It still amazes me that machine, but I sold it. So now, I just bang on wood for beats. :nod: