MPC Software & MPC Beats Forum: Bug reports, feature suggestions and discussion for the MPC Software and the free 'MPC Beats' application for Mac/PC. If you have hardware-specific questions, please post in the relevant MPC sub-forum.
By eddie3000 Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:42 pm
Mmm... I believe the tempo depends on the sequencer, not the midi protocol. Cubase/Nuendo and some other sequencers I've used in the past do it easliy and flawlessly.
In fact, I beleive MPC software does it too, but in a very awkwad and impractical manner. Each sequence can have it's own different tempo. And to do an accelerando or ritardando would require a huge ammount of sequnces, and a lot of work.
Isn't there an easier approach in MPC?
By MPC-Tutor Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:01 pm
eddie3000 wrote:Mmm... I believe the tempo depends on the sequencer, not the midi protocol. Cubase/Nuendo and some other sequencers I've used in the past do it easliy and flawlessly.
In fact, I beleive MPC software does it too, but in a very awkwad and impractical manner. Each sequence can have it's own different tempo. And to do an accelerando or ritardando would require a huge ammount of sequnces, and a lot of work.
Isn't there an easier approach in MPC?

As per my previous post, there used to be a type of midi event in legacy MPCs ('tempo change event') that allowed you to insert a tempo change anywhere in a sequence, so you could use many of those in succession to create a gradual drop in tempo, or whatever you needed. But these were never implemented in the MPC Software. Sequence tempo is also not controllable via automation.

As you say, a hacky way would be using many short sequences, each with a slightly different tempo. Or record a tempo change 'performance' live into an audio track, using a Q-link to drop the tempo.
By eddie3000 Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:09 pm
SOLVED! But with some issues.

Using ableton as the host, and mpc as a plugin, I can now easily automate the tempo. BUT, the recorded audio trackes recorded in MPC suffer glitches in the audio. I guess I will have play the from within ableton. The vst tracks seem ok. Not the best of solutions though, but if MPC can't do it, that's a NEGATIVE POINT FOR AKAI and a POSITIVE POINT FOR THE REST.