MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By TwiceBrazillian Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:30 pm
Hi Guys! I wanna ask for some help here, please!
I'm from Brazil and just bought an used mpc live. After a couple minutes of use, the mpc start to freeze for half second and back to normal, freeze for half second and back to normal again. Can you please tell me if this could be an defect on my MPC or I just don't know how to use it?
We don't have technical support here in Brazil, so if this it a defect, I'm really screwed.

Please help with this one!
By allreddv Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:03 am
Oi Irmão, tudo bem?

When you say freeze up what do mean? Does it stop playing sound? A dial stops moving a parameter? etc.

FYI, I am American but lived in Brazil for many years and flying back to Brazil on the 25th to visit finance's family.
By NearTao Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:37 pm
Olá amigo

This sounds like odd behavior, but I am sure we can help you out.

The first thing to consider is the MPC is still effectively a computer, so there might be a few things causing this. I haven't experienced this issue myself... but a few things to try definitely come to mind.

* A complete global settings reset
* Loading up a fresh project, there might be weird settings in the template
* Reinstall the 2.10 firmware or downgrade to an older firmware like 2.8 or 2.9
* Remove any USB/Internal Drive/SD card
* Do some disk diagnostics if you're using the hard drive, usb, or sd card slot
* Possibly restore the internal micro sd card content
* Disable auto saving

If possible, I'd suggest just taking a video and uploading it for us to see, it is also possible one of us might just notice something unusual that is causing it to seem like it is freezing or lagging...

So a few questions before I address the bullets up top.

Are you in stand alone mode or in controller mode?

Do you know where the 2.10 Synth folder content is installed?

Do you know where expansion packs are installed?

Can you tell how much free storage space is available on the internal micro sd drive?

Is the micro sd drive content intact?

Anyways... this *sounds* like the auto save is kicking in, which I have experienced something that might sound like this problem, but you can clearly see (or at least back in the pre 2.8 or so when I turned it off) it say that it is auto saving... but it could cut out audio for a few seconds while running.
To enable/disable... go to preferences -> project load/save -> check or uncheck the autosave box.

Fixing parameter setting issues... well it's pretty easy MENU -> SETTINGS -> INFO -> RESET PREFERENCES, but Tutor has a page on this https://www.mpc-tutor.com/fixing-mpc-firmware-upgrade-errors/ that is worth checking out for a bit more thoughts/details.

It's possible that whatever you are loading has something weird in the project or base template... try working with an EMPTY project... or if you want to try something else I would happily upload a project you can try out.

You can freely upgrade and downgrade your firmware to just about anything... it might be worth rolling back from 2.10 to something older and see what you can find. In your Akai Pro account (assuming you set one up) you can dig in and find older versions of the firmware. It's a bit convoluted to go very far back, but there is a .pdf file (I forget the link off hand) that can get you access to many of the older firmware releases.

I'd also suggest removing any drives while powered off that you may have USB/SD/internal just to see if when you boot it back up if the problem persists... long shot, but might be something strange with one of the drives. This would also be a good time to just do a health check on your computer to see if there might be something wrong/defective with one of the drives.

It's a bit of a pain, but if the internal micro sd storage is corrupted or has a lot of junk in it, then it might be causing these issues for you. Technically you need to reach out to Akai to get the restore file, but if you want to try this let us know... it's possible somebody here might be able to help you out.

Anyways... that's all that comes to mind at the moment to try. Good luck and keep us posted how it goes.
By TwiceBrazillian Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:58 pm
allreddv wrote:Oi Irmão, tudo bem?

When you say freeze up what do mean? Does it stop playing sound? A dial stops moving a parameter? etc.

FYI, I am American but lived in Brazil for many years and flying back to Brazil on the 25th to visit finance's family.

Fala Meu irmão! tudo certo!

I mean, the mpc stop to work at all for a moment, the dial, all the pads, everything. But for just half of a second and come back to normal. I'm using in standalone mode.
By TwiceBrazillian Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:13 pm
NearTao wrote:Olá amigo

This sounds like odd behavior, but I am sure we can help you out.

The first thing to consider is the MPC is still effectively a computer, so there might be a few things causing this. I haven't experienced this issue myself... but a few things to try definitely come to mind.

* A complete global settings reset
* Loading up a fresh project, there might be weird settings in the template
* Reinstall the 2.10 firmware or downgrade to an older firmware like 2.8 or 2.9
* Remove any USB/Internal Drive/SD card
* Do some disk diagnostics if you're using the hard drive, usb, or sd card slot
* Possibly restore the internal micro sd card content
* Disable auto saving

If possible, I'd suggest just taking a video and uploading it for us to see, it is also possible one of us might just notice something unusual that is causing it to seem like it is freezing or lagging...

So a few questions before I address the bullets up top.

Are you in stand alone mode or in controller mode?

Do you know where the 2.10 Synth folder content is installed?

Do you know where expansion packs are installed?

Can you tell how much free storage space is available on the internal micro sd drive?

Is the micro sd drive content intact?

Anyways... this *sounds* like the auto save is kicking in, which I have experienced something that might sound like this problem, but you can clearly see (or at least back in the pre 2.8 or so when I turned it off) it say that it is auto saving... but it could cut out audio for a few seconds while running.
To enable/disable... go to preferences -> project load/save -> check or uncheck the autosave box.

Fixing parameter setting issues... well it's pretty easy MENU -> SETTINGS -> INFO -> RESET PREFERENCES, but Tutor has a page on this https://www.mpc-tutor.com/fixing-mpc-firmware-upgrade-errors/ that is worth checking out for a bit more thoughts/details.

It's possible that whatever you are loading has something weird in the project or base template... try working with an EMPTY project... or if you want to try something else I would happily upload a project you can try out.

You can freely upgrade and downgrade your firmware to just about anything... it might be worth rolling back from 2.10 to something older and see what you can find. In your Akai Pro account (assuming you set one up) you can dig in and find older versions of the firmware. It's a bit convoluted to go very far back, but there is a .pdf file (I forget the link off hand) that can get you access to many of the older firmware releases.

I'd also suggest removing any drives while powered off that you may have USB/SD/internal just to see if when you boot it back up if the problem persists... long shot, but might be something strange with one of the drives. This would also be a good time to just do a health check on your computer to see if there might be something wrong/defective with one of the drives.

It's a bit of a pain, but if the internal micro sd storage is corrupted or has a lot of junk in it, then it might be causing these issues for you. Technically you need to reach out to Akai to get the restore file, but if you want to try this let us know... it's possible somebody here might be able to help you out.

Anyways... that's all that comes to mind at the moment to try. Good luck and keep us posted how it goes.

Wow! First, thanks a lot for this whole information!

Now, I'm using a empty project without any SSD, pendrive or SD card.

I tried the RESET function and nothing, tried reinstal the 2.10 update and nothing.

I'm in standalone mode, the 2.10 synth is in a SDcard wich is not attached on the MPC. I have 3GB free on the internal storage. The expansions in the MPC: CLip Launch, the Vault 2.0, Essential instruments 2.0. Auto-save off.

I didn't knew that I coud downgrade the firmwire, I'll try to see how it goes.

Just now the MPC froze e showed me this message: "ERROR: SPECIFIED CONFIGURATION NOT BE SUPPORTED BY THE DEVICE CODE: -5" Any of you knows what this mean?

I'll post a video to show you the situation.

I hope you can help me fix that. Anyway, thank you for all this help!!
By allreddv Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:13 am
I wish I knew how to help more. Other than factory reset and reinstall other firmware not sure what to try. I am not sure why that cutout would be happening. I am assuming it was working fine before 2.1 firmware correct?

Hopefully some of the people that are much more knowledgeable about the MPC than myself will be able to help you.
By 83dude Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:03 am
TwiceBrazillian wrote:Hi Guys! I wanna ask for some help here, please!
I'm from Brazil and just bought an used mpc live. After a couple minutes of use, the mpc start to freeze for half second and back to normal, freeze for half second and back to normal again. Can you please tell me if this could be an defect on my MPC or I just don't know how to use it?
We don't have technical support here in Brazil, so if this it a defect, I'm really screwed.

Please help with this one!

I‘ve suggested in another thread that this might happen if you‘ve activated „autosave“. Try deactivating that in the prefs and see if the problem persists - don‘t forget to save regularly by hand, though.
By DeaDeus Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:11 am
some users had contacted the support and received a complete installation file. It is not allowed to post it somewhere, but you will receive a complete fresh setup.
The used MPC might be a victim of "optimization", like deleting demo files!!!!
By TwiceBrazillian Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:05 pm
Hi guys! Thank you all for this whole info and help!

I didn't have much sucess and the same problem persist. But, I notice that yesterday was a cold day in São Paulo and the MPC works fine! which leads to me think that the problem could be overheating of some sort. So, I'll try open and clean inside the unit and maybe this helps. If any of you had like a tutorial of how can I open that, will be helpfull.

I'll post here the result of this adventure and pics of the inside os MPC if any of you are interest in see it.
By TwiceBrazillian Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:08 pm
allreddv wrote:I wish I knew how to help more. Other than factory reset and reinstall other firmware not sure what to try. I am not sure why that cutout would be happening. I am assuming it was working fine before 2.1 firmware correct?

Hopefully some of the people that are much more knowledgeable about the MPC than myself will be able to help you.

Actually I guess the update just made worse, I had some kind of lag in the past, but nothing like that.

Maybe you can bring me a new one when you came back to brazil? hhahahah kidding. But, thank you for your help Irmão!