New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By Konni Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:34 am
Hi!

I just bought a second hand MPC One and discovered that it can be used as a controller for "MPC computer application" as well.
I wanted to try that but quickly got confused as to which software I should use.
Should I use "MPC Beats" or "MPC 2 Software" ?
Are they both supposed to be free for MPC One owners ?
Also, I can't find any download link or activation code in my account portal, although my MPC is registered. Isn't it where you're supposed to find them ?

Have a good one!

TLDR: Bought second hand MPC One. Which software should I use and where to download it ?
By MPC-Tutor Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:02 am
MPC Beats is just the lite version of the MPC Software. As an MPC One owner you get the full version of the MPC Software included. It should be there in your Akai account after registering your hardware serial number - click on the entry for your MPC and a list of downloads should be available along with the activation code. Contact Akai if it isn't there or if you have any issues with any activation code that might be provided (which can happen with second hand purchases) - call them, they currently don't appear to be responding to emails.
By Konni Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:48 am
Thank you, it's all much clearer now!

As I can't find anything related to MPC Software on my Akai account, I will try to contact them.

Best regards
By Konni Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:07 am
To anyone with an intellect as low as mine: on my account page, the MPC Software is called "NEW: MPC 2.10 (MPC One)".

It was available right under my nose this whole time...
By Seaninnj Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:02 pm
Konni wrote:To anyone with an intellect as low as mine: on my account page, the MPC Software is called "NEW: MPC 2.10 (MPC One)".

That’s not because of low intellect. I would be confused by that too. That’s just not user-friendly!

:nod:
By Bigheaded Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:13 am
Konni wrote:To anyone with an intellect as low as mine: on my account page, the MPC Software is called "NEW: MPC 2.10 (MPC One)".

Their account page for MPC owners needs to be totally revamped. Some things are labeled MPC Live/X/One yet only work on PC/Mac. I get what standalone means. But WHY have things labeled live/x/one and then only have PC/Mac downloads when you click on it? I've been on computers since 1978, and last week when I got my MPC One, it took me longer than I'd like to admit to find the same damn download you struggled to find too. I saw 2.10 and thought it was firmware.

It would make sense if Akai had software you could download that would give you a list of software you click what you want and it installs it automatically. They're also not very clear on what only works on standalone and what's only for the MPC software. So I'm sure a ton of new MPC owners are struggling to figure out why certain downloads aren't working on their standalone unit. I'm a 1st time MPC owner, the One's awesome sauce, but the download process for everything's outdated and dumb. And as the One is a standalone unit, there should be a method to plug in an ethernet cable and have it let you select what you want to download and have it automatically download and install. Or at worst, you plug the USB cable in a PC/Mac and it does everything for you.

For a non techie person, the process I went thru to install everything on my account page to my MPC One might be too much. You shouldn't have to watch a YT video to figure out how to get it into controller mode, then how to make a directory on a flash or USB drive to put the new synth instruments. The process IMHO felt like I was installing some random 3rd party stuff, not official Akai. Also, they're not super clear about the need to, and how to switch into controller mode, which I was able to figure out. But I could see the average person plugging it into their PC and wondering why it's not doing anything.

I guess if they release new standalone content, I'll to know about about and go find it on the web site? Akai should make a PC/Mac program that can run in the background and notify you when new shit is released. I've heard NI's Maschines auto update and do all that stuff for you. This is how the MPC one should work IMHO. The ethernet port should be used for updates too not just Splice. I'm sure there are MPC owners who don't have a computer so they'll stay stuck on whatever version it shipped with, which kind of sucks.

Sorry I got off on a rant lol, just shocked me at how poorly the setup/updating process was for a $1000 (with tax) piece of hardware I just bought.