MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By xiotex Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:38 pm
I’ve just got an MPC-X and installed the 2.10 update. Is there a way to copy the additional synth content to the internal HD on the MPC-X rather than require it to be on removable media?
By 40Beatz Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:01 pm
That will take up too much space on the Internal. Causing Problems with performance
By KaoticShock Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:57 am
justineastwick wrote:So far, it can be done on the MPC Live/MPC Live 2 - you have to swap the microSD card out with a bigger one.

Did it with my MPC Live.

How easy is it to swap out the internal drive MicroSD? Was it worth it to upgrade?
By Ultros Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:26 am
KaoticShock wrote:
justineastwick wrote:So far, it can be done on the MPC Live/MPC Live 2 - you have to swap the microSD card out with a bigger one.

Did it with my MPC Live.

How easy is it to swap out the internal drive MicroSD? Was it worth it to upgrade?

you have to open the unit and pull the card hidden inside out of the mainboard. Yes there is actually an sd card hidden inside both mpc live and mpc x

here is a photo of the live, look close at the right side board on the bottom edge.

By EnochLight Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:10 pm
KaoticShock wrote:How easy is it to swap out the internal drive MicroSD? Was it worth it to upgrade?

Physically it's easy (see Ultros photo above), but it's not just a simple matter of "switching it out". There is more than just factory content on there - it also has the OS - and all of this must be cloned. And it's also in a Linux format that you can't easily clone without putting some effort behind it. My advice is if you're not comfortable cloning drives, I'd avoid. And even if you were, it's not not accessible as attached storage when in Computer Mode, so unless you plan to SSH into it everytime, there's no way to back up your projects and samples or move content back and forth.
By 40Beatz Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:48 pm
Swapping that Lil Internal SD Card is Half the battle. Then you gotta somehow copy the Internal Content to the New Card. Windows doesn't recognize it. You would have use a Linux based system. For me...its not worth the trouble of F*ckin somethin up in the Process.

Drop a 2TB SSD/HDD in that Joint and Call it a Day lol
By Monotremata Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:00 pm
Yeah it looks easy enough but if you have no experience with Linux command line or tools like dd (or even know what that is) its probably best left alone. You can brick your machine easy and Akai is just gonna laugh at you after that.
By justineastwick Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:31 pm
KaoticShock wrote:

Did it with my MPC Live.

Fairly easy and DEFINITELY worth upgrading.
By eight_trx Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:27 am
if you have the restore image from akai, unzip it, delete everything in the /data directory under autorun/ and put the Synths folder there. copy autorun to a USB and plug it up. it'll add the content to your internal microSD without you having to take your machine apart.
By Ultros Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:42 am
eight_trx wrote:if you have the restore image from akai, unzip it, delete everything in the /data directory under autorun/ and put the Synths folder there. copy autorun to a USB and plug it up. it'll add the content to your internal microSD without you having to take your machine apart.

haha that is awesome!