New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By geesbert Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:49 pm
I like the approach to work in one long sequence rather than in song mode. I wonder now what to doo if I have say a 40 bar long sequence with a lot of track and want to add something like a 4 to the floor bass drum with a small variation here and there to the track but want to avoid recording it for 40 bars. I want to record maybe 4 bars and then copy them through. Is there a more elegant way than using the grid, selecting those 4 bars, copiing them, nudging the playhead hoping to get the right space, otherwise nudging and do this 10 times? After that I add a few variations. not fun.

reducing this one track to 4 bars is not really the same, as I can't add variations.

Is there something like Ableton's command+D?
By NearTao Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:46 pm
you're about right for the process...

personally... when doing this I make sure that there's a note on 1.1.1, do the copy/paste, maybe copy it as an 8 or 16 bars... do another paste... then remove the 1.1.1...

if you make the note say a c0 or something else you didn't use... it's pretty easy to hit erase, c0 and just remove the offending note once you're done... then you can go back and put the variations in as you see fit
By bliprock Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:55 am
there is a edit copy window, where you can copy any track and time to anywhere and time. So copy to 1:0:00 to 5:0:00 and start on 5 with how many copies are needed. in your case 40 bar? 9 times, because you have four bars already so really you need 36 bars total.

forgot to add that you can merge or replace here as well and of course to other track and sequences too. So you can make parts anywhere, even god forbid another sequence ;)
By DokBrown Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:23 pm
workflow is always a big issue

you can adjust your workflow to your machine

OR

You can adjust your machine to your workflow. Unfortunately, the MPC does not have a lot of true competition in the standalone market . . . . . .

1 sequence does not work for me b/c I like to do tempo changes.
I lay out the basics for a beat over 2-6 MIDI tracks.
I copy that to 3-4 new sequences & do the variations in each sequence with minor tempo changes.

I imagine you can keep doubling the length & then throw in changes
By geesbert Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:50 am
DokBrown wrote:

I imagine you can keep doubling the length & then throw in changes

not if the length is already set and i want to add something…
By brisket Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:47 pm
I use the one sequence method all the time. I found that the copy function became my best friend for making variations of smaller sequences within the one 'big sequence. My other best friend for the one sequence method is of course the section looper so that I can work on each variation (usually about 4 bars at a time) of what I copy and paste within the one sequence. Once I got that system going, it feels almost as easy as the standard Akai Song Mode method. The one sequence method is a tad bit trickier though because you really have to pay attention to bar numbers and have to do a little math in your head when copying and pasting around to make variations of sections.
By ThinkerThunker Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:19 am
Have you tried out the "Clip Program" yet?

It's perfect for dropping in your two-bar, "4 on the floor" kick in say,pad A1. Then drop your variations in A5, A9 or as many as you need. Then just keep them all in the same "choke or mute" group. Press a pad and it will loop in time with your beat continous, no matter how many bars. Then press the next pad, and if you having your TC time set to one bar, it will start up on the start of the next bar and loop until. Clip programs are awesome!

They're also a way to get around the "8 audio file" limit.
By misterflibble Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:44 am
ThinkerThunker wrote:Have you tried out the "Clip Program" yet?

It's perfect for dropping in your two-bar, "4 on the floor" kick in say,pad A1. Then drop your variations in A5, A9 or as many as you need. Then just keep them all in the same "choke or mute" group. Press a pad and it will loop in time with your beat continous, no matter how many bars. Then press the next pad, and if you having your TC time set to one bar, it will start up on the start of the next bar and loop until. Clip programs are awesome!

They're also a way to get around the "8 audio file" limit.

The only thing that sucks about this is that AFAIK you can only use Clips like this on the MPC with audio. There's no MIDI Clip equivalent like there is on Force on MPC, is there?