Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum

By sparq Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:58 pm
There are several advantages for upgrading to 128MB.
    the ability to add more, bigger pgms
    the ability to sample bigger, longer samples
    the ability to create more and bigger seqs/songs

and lastly, just to give you the comfort that you will not run out of memory.
Last edited by sparq on Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Humblestar1 Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:06 am
Last edited by Humblestar1 on Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Humblestar1 Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:07 am
will we never learn...Hmmmm....

Ok guys...when you start messin with 'MULTI'-samples...layered textures of the same sample...real instruments like STRINGz n thangz & All that stuff (Not just one-shot drum hits or even str8 up loops)...

you will come to KNOW the reality of the fact that more memory is NOT just a Luxury or the preserve of those with a little more cash than others...BUT a bloody Necessity!!!!

Trust ME....

Sparq & Penfold speak True Wizdom...Y'heard!!!Now go cop some Cheap So-Dimms!!!
(See 'Antonyms Sig)

By Antonym Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:00 pm
V V antonym's sig....

if anyone else wants it in their profile just right click on it and hit copy link location then paste if into your sig. feel free. or do as rhythm did and just paste the specs text in there.

By samuraisam Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:49 pm
sparq wrote:There are several advantages for upgrading to 128MB.

and lastly, just to give you the comfort that you will run out of memory.

uhh dude. the sequence length is the exact same whether you upgrade the RAM or not. but tis true that the sample time will increase.
also. you'll find it a bit of an effort to fill the 128 mb ram with stuff you're actually going to use.

By samuraisam Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:56 pm
benlewismaverick wrote:Does Compact Flash II work?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... otohosting

I'm thinking about getting this so i can use my several MMC cards (more economical I think!)

uhh dewd, the cf cards and those MMC cards are around the same price depending on where you shop. i'll also hint at you that the compact flash cards are much faster. and when you're loading 128 mb of data you're going to notice a big difference.

"the theoretical maximum of SD is 100Mbits/sec = 12.5Mbytes/sec (25MHz max clock rate x 4 bit databus) minus some communications overhead. CompactFlash has more pins (16-bit databus) & the CompactFlash consortium FAQ (http://www.compactflash.org/faqs/faq.htm) claims 16MB/sec (128Mbits/sec) so it's slightly faster theoretical maximum but not by much."

By Penfold Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:47 pm
[quote="benlewismaverick"]Does Compact Flash II work?

I'm thinking about getting this so i can use my several MMC cards (more economical I think!)[/qu

Yes it does and so does the manual, says it reads TYPE I and TYPE II.

I will update the First Page.

By K10 Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:13 pm
Kingstin 256MB KVR Ram (as mentioned)
Kingston 1gig CF card.

By sparq Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:36 am
samuraisam wrote:

uhh dude. the sequence length is the exact same whether you upgrade the RAM or not. but tis true that the sample time will increase.
also. you'll find it a bit of an effort to fill the 128 mb ram with stuff you're actually going to use.

If you read what the context of this post you will understand that with 16mb of internal ram, you are limited to how many/big your seq/songs can be if you have large file samples or many samples. true the amount of seqs overall is static but when you start adding samples in your seq and you only have the 16, you will find that you can not have as many seqs in memory at the same time as well as you will find out that with only 16mb your seq size will be limited if you have a lot of samples.

so before you try to correct someone, please think logically about what the person is saying.

it's all good, fam.
By Humblestar1 Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:38 am
...Touché Sparq, Touché....

Everyones just trying to be helpful..It is ALL Good People!!!

:!:

By benlewismaverick Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:09 pm
Hey man, thnx for replies, I couldnt see anything in the manual about type I or II cards (I did look first! -And I used the search function).What page does it say that? I'ma be gutted if I missed it!

So anyways, you reckon using an MMC w/ the CF II adapter will be slow as s**t??

I have a few spare mmc cards, the biggest being 512, but if i buy a CF it will have to be a 2GB (which I have found for around £90 GBP). Its Kingston 54X CompactFlash Elite Pro High Speed - 2GB, so that should be pretty quick right? As a comparison what speed is the 32MB CF that came with the MPC1000, any1 know?

[Basically its £90 -[2.0gb CF] Vs £20 [My MMC cards w/CF adapter]

Thanks again

By samuraisam Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:57 pm
sparq wrote:
samuraisam wrote:

If you read what the context of this post you will understand that with 16mb of internal ram, you are limited to how many/big your seq/songs can be if you have large file samples or many samples. true the amount of seqs overall is static but when you start adding samples in your seq and you only have the 16, you will find that you can not have as many seqs in memory at the same time as well as you will find out that with only 16mb your seq size will be limited if you have a lot of samples.

so before you try to correct someone, please think logically about what the person is saying.

it's all good, fam.

go to the load screen on your mpc 1000. you'll notice how the SEQ and sample memories are two different things. no matter how much ram you have you can still load 100,000 notes, 99 sequences, 64 tracks per sequence and 20 songs.the RAM upgrade only effects your sample time.
By boaty Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:23 pm
got a 512 mb cf card from Fry's electronics xmas shopping last year made by PQI, never even heard of this brand, but it was $7.00 after mail in rebate, and it works fine for me, got to keep yours eyes peeled for bargains

By valooz Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:46 am
This maybe a dumb question, but does this mean the akai RAM only gives you 64 MB, or is it actually a 256 MB card?