Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By Teletran1 Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:16 am
Thanks to Mike Goins for his initial work on installing an internal zip drive. Rohan, for providing some knowledge (as always). And DJ Chief for supplying the card reader!

It's is now 100% fully functional. I wanted it internal out of convenience but I still wanted to be able to access all of the stuff I've saved on zip's through the port in the back. I was able to find all of the supplies and operate on this thing myself with almost no electronics experience and it came out excellent! If you're brave enough to open your MPC, then this should be cake for you.

I know some people have been complaining about not being able to find some of the parts; so here's the ribbon cable you'll need:

http://www.welovemacs.com/flt210024.html

the internal to external adapter (which you'll need two of):

http://cable4pc.com/scsi201.htm

and the gender changer:

http://sewelldirect.com/DB25maletomale.asp

If anyone has questions on how to do this, feel free to ask!
By mpc3000le Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:34 am
Teletran1 wrote:Thanks to Mike Goins for his initial work on installing an internal zip drive. Rohan, for providing some knowledge (as always). And DJ Chief for supplying the card reader!

Nice one.

Good to see it in action.

Rohan.

By monogee Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:21 pm
Looks great. Where can I buy that internal card reader? Thanks

By Teletran1 Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:26 pm
monogee wrote:Looks great. Where can I buy that internal card reader? Thanks

I was actually looking for one for a while with no luck. Then Chief came to the forum and said that he found a few so I copped one from him. I think he's all sold out, though. Your best bet is to look for a Microtech or Intermart PCD-25 on ebay or google a DPAI SCSI reader. See if you find anything. Or try local used computer stores. That's where Chief came up.

Good luck!

By aq2 Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:57 pm
looks great.

Any chance you can post a couple detailed pics of the insides?

Was there any soldering needed? Did you have a zip installed internally before? or floppy?

Thanks (and congrats),
Alex

By djobserv Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:22 pm
man although i dont own one, i just had to comment on one of the cleanest pieces of equipment i've ever seen..

beautiful

just

beautiful

By Teletran1 Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:25 pm
aq2 wrote:looks great.

Any chance you can post a couple detailed pics of the insides?

Was there any soldering needed? Did you have a zip installed internally before? or floppy?

Thanks (and congrats),
Alex

There was no soldering required and I had a floppy in it's place before. The only tricky part was the power supply for the reader. since the connection to the main board only takes the floppy connection you have to splice the wires of the cf drive's power and the floppy wire. It sounds a little more difficult than it is, so don't worry.

I'll post some detailed pics when I get home from work today.

By Teletran1 Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:55 am
Here's what it looks like complete and working. The first end of the ribbon cable plugs into the the first internal/external adapter. The middle connection will plug into the second which will stick out of the back as the scsi port and the third connection will plug into the card reader.

The old scsi port will plug into the gender changer which will plug into the first internal/external adapter:

And this is the splice between the power cords like I explained. You can get the 5.25'' drive power cable and shrink tubing at any local radio shack:

Hope this helps!

By aq2 Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:49 am
Great. Thanks, I will post pics of my 3k as soon as I've replaced the floppy with a card reader. Thanks again

By jazzbee Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:56 pm
Thats a nice and clean example of a mpc3000 ;)

By Teletran1 Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:36 pm
jazzbee wrote:Thats a nice and clean example of a mpc3000 ;)

Haha...yeah! Thanks.

That ish was a steal at a $1,000.00

By peezie Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:02 pm
if you have 32 megs, im assuming. you need to remove that memory board.

By mpc3000le Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:13 pm
Teletran1 wrote:Here's what it looks like complete and working. The first end of the ribbon cable plugs into the the first internal/external adapter. The middle connection will plug into the second which will stick out of the back as the scsi port and the third connection will plug into the card reader.
Hope this helps!

Teletran1, note in your pictures where the SIMM RAM is installed.

It looks like your machine is expanded to 32 megabytes. ( RAM looks like the stuff I purchased from eBay seller Fourniersean )

If this is the case.

Make certain you remove the AKAI EXM3002/EXM3008 memory board ( currently installed in your machine ).

The AKAI EXM3002/EXM3008 memory board does not need to be installed when your machine is maxed out to 32 megabyte.

Leaving the AKAI EXM3002/EXM3008 memory board installed is not necessary as the MPC3000 just "maps it out".

The function performed by an AKAI EXM3002/EXM3008 memory board while its in a "mapped out state" will be that of straining the power supply stages.

Just thought I'd let you know.

Rohan.

By quo Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:54 am
Which is the AKAI EXM3002/EXM3008 Rohan, the one circled below?
If so I have to uninstall that too!