For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.

By synthburn Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:22 pm
check out "team sleep", its an mpc based side project from deftones
and neurosis has the visuals guy as part of the band as well as thier keyboard playing using samples eveywhere

By djkain Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:20 pm
Also, the drummer from Linkin Park (Rob) also uses an MPC2000XL.

By DirtyBird Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:09 pm
beck loves the drum machine- not sure which one

By bluempc4k Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:41 am
i've been trying to get my bro up on the idea of us starting our own band.

both of us can play guitars, and bass. i can play the piano/keys, and he's a solid drummer.

but he's not to hot about us using the mpc... to him, all the stuff i have is only good for making "laser music". -his term for electronic music. it doesn't fit into his vision of what jazz, funk, rock, metal, etc should sound like.

i'm gonna have to start laying down some tracks that would fit into the project i had in mind and show him what's up.

to me, using the mpc will help a lot. definately make things go quicker than having to record each part one by one, and then having to bust all kinds of re-edits to experiment w/dfferent arrangements...

By synthburn Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:36 pm
haha "laser music" im gonna keep that one

if any of yous dudes never heqard of massive attack, you should be ashamed of yourselfs.
they are heavily mpc based, especially on the amazing album Mezzanine

also the drummer for tom waits uses an mpc as part of his live setup(!)
im not sure to be suprised or completly not suprised by tom waits+mpc

By kwality Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:56 pm
Get your bro to check out Mark De Clive Lowe... if that dude isn't pushing quality jazz/funk then I don't know who is. And live with an mpc...

By appalachianillogic Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:02 pm
kwality wrote:Get your bro to check out Mark De Clive Lowe... if that dude isn't pushing quality jazz/funk then I don't know who is. And live with an mpc...

Mark De Clive Lowe is **** incredible live.

By itchyvinyl Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:06 pm
Honeycut.

A soul/pop/rock/hiphop/electronic/funk band.
By blueheaven Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:00 am
Pink Floyd, surprisingly, used and MPC 60 (or 3000) when they were recording their last album in 1993. It’s also possible they used one on their tours in 1988-1990; at this time they started using sequencers, drum machines, and Akai samplers (s900 to be specific).

Re:

By Bezo Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:12 pm
kwality wrote:Get your bro to check out Mark De Clive Lowe... if that dude isn't pushing quality jazz/funk then I don't know who is. And live with an mpc...
He has a lot of stuff on stage, but I usually see a Maschine, not an MPC.

Either way, he's an inspiration. I attempt to make similar music at times. When I 1st heard him, I assumed it was a full blown band. I was shocked to learn how much was programmed/sequenced.
By v00d00ppl Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:15 pm
I just saw General Elektriks live when I was near the suburbs of Paris earlier this month. They got a 2000XL player and a drummer. The 2000XL player live with a live drummer gets funky. Lot of good funk and live keys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a23hMwfxM-k

Live 2000xl on raid the radio
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbl9klcEzZU
By JUKE 179r Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:53 am
I've seen in interviews that Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel both have/had MPC4000's.
Slipknot's Dj Starscream uses an MPC and Kaos pad when he Djs.
Martin Gore of Depeche Mode used a 2000XL.
Alicia Keys uses a MPC4000.

You can tell I have a weird taste in music. lol
By JamesJeffery Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:41 pm
My MPC 60 was apparently owned by The Who. The labels on the casing are preserved and it shows a name and address and various other markings to show this to be true. I did a post on this a while back if you dig through my post history. I'd imagine they were used a lot in jam sessions when a drummer wasn't available.

Oh, and hey Juke good to see your still around, you've been here longer than me!