For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By rapslow Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:31 am
when i turn on my s3000xl
it says on the bottom

'waiting for hard disk ready.. SKIP'

and then when i press buttons nothing works

i dont have hard disk connected to it or anything i hav nothing connected except the power.

help me out plz

thanks!

By sumedho Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:23 am
I think your SCSI fuse has blown. Do a search on google for that error. If it has blown, you have to unscrew the case, desolder the fuse (it's a fuse soldered onto the board) and replace it with one of similar rating.

By _Stilo_ Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:52 am
Did your 3000XL work fine before, or did you just get it? Does it have a floppy or is that maybe replaced by a ZIP? Could it have an internal harddrive installed that may have **** up?

More info please.

By freezerman Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:25 pm
sumedho wrote:I think your SCSI fuse has blown. Do a search on google for that error. If it has blown, you have to unscrew the case, desolder the fuse (it's a fuse soldered onto the board) and replace it with one of similar rating.

I confirm the diagnosis... I've had the same problem. You can by pass the problem at boot up by inserting a formatted diskette in the A drive, it will stop the s3000xl search for a hard drive, but you will still need to change that fuse if you plan to use the scsi in the future...

By rapslow Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:44 pm
thx a lot guys!
one problem i found was
the zip drive is parallel port!
i dont know whats the difference between a parellel and SCSI
but,, i saw people say thats not good

to answer ur question stilo
i just started using the 3000xl yesterday because i got the zip yesterday.
it has a floppy and its not a zip.
maybe it has internal hardrive thats **** up? i hav no way to find that out lol

so would a new SCSI(not a parellel port) zip drive resolve the problem? or do i still hav to replace the fuse thing?

thanks!

and i hotplugged like 40 times yesterday because when i hot plugged the ZIP drive, i could go past the "Wating for Hard disk.. Ready" thing.
but it froze again when i tried to access the zip drive.

it sucks now that i found out hot plugging and parallel port zip drive can blow the sh1t up!!
im just gonna buy a 10 dollar scsi zip drive and see what happens..

thanks!

By _Stilo_ Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:48 pm
Wait...you connected a parallel port ZIP to the S3000XLs SCSI? :shock:

That would explain something. If it does the error without anything plugged in, then it's probably really the fuse like the others said.

rapslow wrote:maybe it has internal hardrive thats **** up? i hav no way to find that out lol

Just screw it open and see.

By sumedho Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:21 am
If you plugged a parallel zip into a scsi port you've probably blown the fuse. If the s3000xl won't start up (you get the same error) with the zip unplugged then you've blown it. Those fuses are notorious for blowing even using scsi equip.

By rapslow Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:48 pm
wow thats a nightmare
thanks a lot guys for the help
i suck at soldering kinda stuff
my hands are not made for it
but ill hav to try
and how much are those fuse?
if its too expensive, im not gonna buy it lol
do u guys know?

By sumedho Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:31 am
It's pretty easy to do.

1. Just unsolder the thing in the photo.
2. Get two bits of wire and solder them on the the two points.
3. Solder the other ends onto a fuse holder (get this from an electronics joint)
4. Get the right type of rated fuse and plug it in and you should be good to go. ( i can't remember the fuse rating, maybe ask in the mpc2000xl forum)

Then next time you blow a fuse unscrew the fuse and replace it. Take my advice at your own risk.

Image[/img]

By rapslow Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:11 am
yo thanks so much sumedho
you the king! lol
By SilentSouls Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:27 pm
Could anyone explain me the exact location of the fuse? I have the same problem but i am able to see the fuse where is it.

Thanks a lot
Ivan