Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By BobChopsickle Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:00 pm
I just got my ensoniq running.

Sound is not very impressive. The reverb is ok. But no way as good as a lexicon or yamaha rev 500.

Dont really know what all the fuss was about. The sequencer seems ok. And it seems ok for pad sounds. But for drums i was pretty disapointed.

The envelops are not responsive enough either.

May sell and buy Akai s950.

By krang Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:12 pm
a lot of sh!t is overated. if you keep listening to everyone then expect to be disapointed again.

By Muied Lumens Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:53 pm
It is supposed to have some cool sample editing functions. Did you get the manual with it? Also you can get some third party software for it, kinda like the JJ OS.

But it is ancient stuff now, as is the S950. If you can you should audition gear before buying it.

By Mike Dugan Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:06 pm
Muied Lumens wrote:But it is ancient stuff now, as is the S950.

By JaeOne3345 Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:50 pm
Highly underrated.

What did you expect? Its from 1991.

I love mine.

Make as many copies as possible without using up ram? Yes.
Dope effects that can be automated and routed to different modulators? Yes.
Multiple sample rates? Yes. (22khz and 17.9 are dope for drums).
Scsi and internal flash rom? Yup.
Super fast chopping? Yup.
Can be treated as a multitimbral sound device? (each instrument can have its own midi input channel) Yup.
Waveboy effects disk (aftermarket) for a DOPE low pass? Yup.

Super easy sequencer? Yup. Just gotta learn how to play shit on time. Play with triplet quantize settings.

Ability to quantize individual NOTES, not just tracks. Within a track you can quantize one note. Thats too ill. Learn to use "set ranges."

Read the manual.

For 1991, this thing shits on mad gear. And this is coming from someone who uses an s950, sp1200, and eps16+ daily.

Learn your gear?

Overrated my ass.

By JaeOne3345 Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:53 pm

Nah you just dont know how to use them. They are super responsive. You need to adjust soft and high values, in addition to time values.

They aren't just simple ASDR envelopes, there is much more involved.

What about looping? Transwaves? have you even cracked the manual open?

LOL. Man sell it to me. Ill put to use. I own 2 already.

This thing does just as much as the mpc 3000 in the room next to me (roomates).[/quote]

By StonesThrow Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:10 pm
Lol ook gritzkit.

By keepitcherry Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:19 pm
sell it to me then. i don't have one and i got some extra cash

By krang Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:05 pm
word, I always wanted to work with an ensoniq keyboard. I may buy it from u if the price is reasonable. Where do you live?
Last edited by krang on Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By BobChopsickle Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:41 pm
JaeOne3345 wrote:

Nah you just dont know how to use them. They are super responsive. You need to adjust soft and high values, in addition to time values.

They aren't just simple ASDR envelopes, there is much more involved.

What about looping? Transwaves? have you even cracked the manual open?

LOL. Man sell it to me. Ill put to use. I own 2 already.

This thing does just as much as the mpc 3000 in the room next to me (roomates).
[/quote]

Look pal...

End of day, the ensoniq sounds naff.

Funny I have a yamaha sampler with a similar sound to the EPS16. Only it sounds 50 billion times better, to my highly educated ears.

All I am saying. For drums the ensoniq sounds kind of crap. Its like half way clean.

No way does it have the charecter of an akai s900 or an EMu sp1200.

It sounds more like a techno machine. The filters sound like, some one closing the door on the drummer.

As for ensoniq Effects?

They are ok. But I heard they were amazing. They are not amazing.

I made my EPS16+ from 2 machines. I took the best bits from both and made them into one, perfectly working machine, with scsi. And almost new bright screen.

I am going to sell this piece of garbage tho. I think I will get an s3000 or an s900 with money.

By JaeOne3345 Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:14 am
Like I said, change the sample rate, no its not a s950, no its not a sp. I own both I know this but it has its own sound. What were you expecting?

The onboard effects low pass isnt very strong, which is why I said get the waveboy rez filter, which makes it sound VERY s950/mpc3000ish.

Piece of garbage? Guess the asr is garbage too.

Do your homework before you buy gear, simple as that.

Post a beat you've made with it.

By Dabblerobb Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:10 am
wow........same ole gritkitz.....talk isht as usual.
By sinister_keys Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:26 pm
BobChopsickle wrote:I just got my ensoniq running.

Sound is not very impressive. The reverb is ok. But no way as good as a lexicon or yamaha rev 500.

Dont really know what all the fuss was about. The sequencer seems ok. And it seems ok for pad sounds. But for drums i was pretty disapointed.

May sell and buy Akai s950.

:roll: for its time the EPS was a str8 monster .. there are so many things that are newer that have better features .. but the EPS has its own unique sound ... BUT ... you gotta learn the equipment .... people say crap about
the MPC series equipment as well but its all in how you use it ...

you say you were disappointed with drum sequencing.... thats really weird because the eps sequencer is so easy to use .. loose.. everything used to fall into place for me .. i sold mine due to internal problems but the machine itself is a classic and if you cant work with it .. someone will but it and freak da funk wit it .. and you be like .. "damn i didnt know it could do that"

By The Grublet Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:46 pm

Highly underrated.

What did you expect? Its from 1991.

I love mine.

Make as many copies as possible without using up ram? Yes.
Dope effects that can be automated and routed to different modulators? Yes.
Multiple sample rates? Yes. (22khz and 17.9 are dope for drums).
Scsi and internal flash rom? Yup.
Super fast chopping? Yup.
Can be treated as a multitimbral sound device? (each instrument can have its own midi input channel) Yup.
Waveboy effects disk (aftermarket) for a DOPE low pass? Yup.

Super easy sequencer? Yup. Just gotta learn how to play **** on time. Play with triplet quantize settings.

Ability to quantize individual NOTES, not just tracks. Within a track you can quantize one note. Thats too ill. Learn to use "set ranges."

Read the manual.

For 1991, this thing **** on mad gear. And this is coming from someone who uses an s950, sp1200, and eps16+ daily.

Learn your gear?

Overrated my ass.

Cosign...

your gear is only as good as your production skills.

not visa-versa.

I got the 16+ and the asr, and love the shit out of both... it is way more in depth than you are giving it credit for.