Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By musicbyghost Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:56 pm
wassup everyone, i hope someone can help me.

having never needed to have more storage space than what my mpc 2000 xl has i've had to get a iomega zip 100 plus to help expand a live show.

so i got the iomega zip drive and right scsi cables to attach it to my mpc. now i've tried several times but the mpc doesnt seem to pick up the drive. Maybe i'm doing something wrong and i'm just not sure what that is.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.

By pt3r Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:07 pm
what are the settings of the termination switch and the scsi id switch?

By musicbyghost Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:16 pm
by the way i have been reading other threads and i saw that the drive i have, iomega zip 100 plus is compatible with my 2000xl, i have the id switch on the back of the zip drive set to 5.

pardon my ignorance but what's the termination switch?

By pt3r Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:39 pm
The 2 microswitches on the back of your zip drive what are they set to ?

By musicbyghost Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:41 pm
the zip is the iomega 100 plus, it only has 1 switch which is set to 5. i already tried hookin up the zip drive to my pc with a seperate lead and my pc picks it up.

when i try with the cable specifically for the mpc, my mpc just states no scsi device connected.

i assume that either the cable i bought is faulty, or there's something i've done wrong, or something i'm not doin correctly

By _Stilo_ Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:02 pm
musicbyghost wrote:the zip is the iomega 100 plus, it only has 1 switch which is set to 5. i already tried hookin up the zip drive to my pc with a seperate lead and my pc picks it up.

when i try with the cable specifically for the mpc, my mpc just states no scsi device connected.

i assume that either the cable i bought is faulty, or there's something i've done wrong, or something i'm not doin correctly

Do you have it hooked to your PC with a parallel cable? If you connect it to the MPC via SCSI, and it doesn't have a termination switch, you should try connecting a Terminator to the second, free connector at the back of the drive.

By musicbyghost Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:43 pm
_Stilo_ wrote:
musicbyghost wrote:the zip is the iomega 100 plus, it only has 1 switch which is set to 5. i already tried hookin up the zip drive to my pc with a seperate lead and my pc picks it up.

Do you have it hooked to your PC with a parallel cable? If you connect it to the MPC via SCSI, and it doesn't have a termination switch, you should try connecting a Terminator to the second, free connector at the back of the drive.

i took off the cable connecting it to the mpc and just hooked it up to the PC to test, yeah that was via a parallel cable. By terminator you mean a cable that goes to nothing right?

i'm assuming here if it's working it'll just automatically pick it up on scsi id 5? there's nothing i need to do internally with the mpc? i'm using o/s 1.11 still.

thanks for the advice tho

Thanks.

By musicbyghost Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:19 pm
so i now have the zip drive connected as you'd expect to the mpc, id switch on 5. i've connected the autodetect socket to my pc and left the pc turned off.

for a moment i thought it might work cause everything was running slow, took a while to detect the memory on startup, but then still told me no scsi device detected!

any other ideas? i've searched high and low but cant seem to find anything to help me set this up.

By _Stilo_ Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:42 pm
musicbyghost wrote:i took off the cable connecting it to the mpc and just hooked it up to the PC to test, yeah that was via a parallel cable. By terminator you mean a cable that goes to nothing right?

If the ZIP Plus drives don't have some auto-termination (read up on the specs), then you need something like this

or it won't work. You just need the correct type of connector. I never used a ZIP Plus drive, I don't know if they work at all, read the manual, specs, whatever you can find regarding SCSI connection and termination. Mabye you just have to connect the Autodetect socket to the MPC, I don't know.

By musicbyghost Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:48 pm
thanks bro,

yeah ive been reading about the termination issue, i thought if the pc was turned off it might work, but no. I think thats what i need to find.

By Pilchard Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:04 am
What you have is a Zip plus.
It's a Hybrid drive that works for SCSI or Parallel.
The termination should be automatic. ie you don't need to switch it or plug in an external terminator.

They normally have a special cable with them that is coloured blue. You plug the end that say's AutoDetect on it to the socket also marked AutoDetect, and the other end to your mPC.

If you don't have this cable it may not work (I don't know I never tried it with another cable). To make this cable plug into the MPC2000XL you would need some kind of adaptor.

It should work but, bear in mind this type of Zip drive is not recommended for use with the MPC.

You might be better off just looking for a straight SCSI Zip drive.There's plenty about and it may be easier in the long run.

By K-Mello Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:25 pm
musicbyghost wrote:thanks bro,

yeah ive been reading about the termination issue, i thought if the pc was turned off it might work, but no. I think thats what i need to find.

And I wouldn't recommend connecting it to the PC and the MPC at the same time. I don't think those were designed to EVER be connected to 2 host devices simultaneously like that, though if you had a straight SCSI Zip drive you could daisy chain that to another SCSI device, just not another SCSI host.

Peace,
KM

By _Stilo_ Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:10 pm
K-Mello wrote:
musicbyghost wrote:thanks bro,

And I wouldn't recommend connecting it to the PC and the MPC at the same time. I don't think those were designed to EVER be connected to 2 host devices simultaneously like that, though if you had a straight SCSI Zip drive you could daisy chain that to another SCSI device, just not another SCSI host.

Not exactly...you can connect a SCSI device between two SCSI hosts, like a drive between a PC and a sampler for example. But I doubt it works as easily with a SCSI connection to the MPC, and a parallel cable to the PC, like he obviously tried.

By musicbyghost Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:36 pm
ive pretty much ran out of ideas now! i've tried different connection set ups and it still always says no scsi device detected. im hoping someone somewhere will be using the same set up and can point me in the right direction.

i think this is the first time ive been totally out of ideas about how to get something working.

thanks everyone for the ideas..

By Swissmaster_Cheese Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:03 pm
Heres a time saving, headache reducing tip.
BUY AN INTERNAL CF READER.