For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By trupro Wed May 26, 2004 8:11 pm
I know it's suicide to connect the scsi port on the 2000XL to a computer. It just doesn't work, cus they are both SCSI controllers and can't see eachother. But, anyone know if you can connect it to another samplers scsi port? Like, connect my Ensonique EPS to the XL, and swap sounds back and forth? Sounds dangerous, so only lemme know if you actually did this without blowing something up!!

By Science Thu May 27, 2004 6:27 pm
i dont see why you cant connect to a port of another sampler. it should read if the file format is compatible. but i dont undersand what will happen if your connect the scst port of the xl to a computer? will something blow of break? let me know

By Toecutter Thu May 27, 2004 9:15 pm
Wouldn't the other sampler be a SCSI controller also and not be able to see the connection? Did you try it yet? Did your house blow up?
By trupro Fri May 28, 2004 6:53 pm
First off, you can't connect scsi to paralell port. On my first MPC2000, like five years ago, I thought I had a scsi zip, but it was paralell, and I blew the scsi bus on the mp. Then recently, I tried to hook up a 2000 to the scsi port on my G4, which does not appear to be detrimental to either, but just plain doesn't work cus of the scsi controller issue. However, since they are incopatible, there is probably a potential for damage.
Then I thought, hey, leave the zip as the middle device in the chain, and they can both at least see the zip drive, and I can just swap files that way. Doesn't work. And yo, you are probably correct about the EPS sampler being a scsi controller as well, and they probably won't see eachother either. I have a spankin' new blue XL now, and I'm not willing to blow a scsi fuse to find out. Incedently, if you ever blow the scsi fuse, it shouldn't cost more than ten bucks for the part, and whatever the repair costs for an hours labor, if you don't fit it yourself. After the second time on the old 2ooo, Armond from Rogue put a diesel fuse in there, and I couldn't even pop it on purpose. And that leads me to a question: is there a set way you should power up/down? Like, Zip drive on first, then MPC, or vice verse, or what?

By elmacaco Fri May 28, 2004 7:30 pm
MPC first, then zip. The reverse of power up (zip first, then MPC)

By homershines Fri May 28, 2004 11:00 pm
Don't play dangerous games with your equipment.
SCSI by itself is crazy.

The MPC's SCSI setup was not designed for connection to other computers.
The Akai S - Series samplers and the Ensoniq EPS(& 16+) and ASR 10 samplers could be connected to a computer via SCSI. That was a great thing too. Saved mad time editing and transferring samples.

Unfortunately, since the MPC was designed to be an entire workstation, I assume they didn't add that feature.

The best thing to do is get software to transfer sounds back and forth from your computer to your EPS. The use your Zip disk to do the same between the computer and the MPC. It will save you serious headaches and heartache.

Peace.
Last edited by homershines on Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.