Can't decide which MPC to choose? Read these resources or post your questions here.

By Huemanyst Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:50 pm
fredwagner wrote:Whatever helps you to make music, folks -- that's what it's all about.

Fact is, they can both be used to get the job done, and both will take time and love to master.

Your right man; practice and reptition...

By Huemanyst Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:55 pm
apextech wrote:I had a 1000 and went to an MV.I still like the 1000 but i love my MV. :D
The MV has NO TIMING ISSUES and also has a great support group at mvnation.

For those of you who say they had an MV and got rid of it,well too bad.YOU REALY HAVE NOT USED THE MV UNTIL YOU GET THE MOUSE & VGA EXPANSION.I had a hard time with it until i hooked up the monitor.It was like it was a whole new machine again.I then realised that most of the people who traded the MV NEVER GOT THE MOUSE AND MONITOR UPGRADE.They also had that old operating system.YOU WILL UNDERSTAND THE FULL POWER OF THE MV WHEN YOUR USING IT WITH THE MOUSE AND VGA EXPANSION :D O.S. 3.52

Your workflow is so smooth 8) Everything layed out on a nice BIG lcd moitor IN COLOR.You don't have to use the mouse to navigate but why wouldnt you :?

If you don't know how to use the MV just say so.Don't blame the machine if your beats don't come out the way you want it to.The 4000 is a beast as well.

For me leaving the MPC and going to the MV was like leaving the Projects and moving into a 4 story Brownstone house.Real talk.

WWW.SOUNDCLICK.COM/APEXPRODUCTIONZ

Right on man! tell'em...its supposed to function like a DAW system so listen to the man and include the mouse and monitor...By the way have you ever had any problems with "White Noise" or hissing on any of the channels...
By Huemanyst Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:58 pm
MPC O.G. wrote:Imagine a jj os for the 4000. Everyone here would sh*t on themselves and the nearest mv 8000/8800. one.

Maybe so but, as for now Akai is following the leader Roland. MV 2 tha Future...

By dabmeister Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:23 am
Now now, come on y'all, you're diss'n the 4k and most of y'all making those comments don't even own or ever worked a 4k. The title to this thread is 4k vs. MV8800 I thought. What goes on with the other MPC's bears no resemblance to the 4k's capabilities. The 4k uses a mouse and monitor too. It goes beyond what the MV does as far as intergration with a real DAW. Even though the MV's a cool stand-a-lone workstation, it doesn't hold the kind of merit in the studio like the 4k does. The converters in the MV are a notch better than my Roland R8's converters, since both share the same bit dept. :lol: So when you praise the capabilities and functions of one machine, please know the same about the other. Thank you

By tonea Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:34 am
if the mv works for you, cool who really cares, the point i made was if you have a lot of equipment , this is my setup, korg oasys, yamaha motif xs 6 roland v syth gt ensoniq asr 10, ensoniq ts 10 roland rs70 , tascam x 48. then the 4000 is a better deal, to kind of simplify my system. i allso use a digi 002 but rarely, the mv is acool all in one box, but you loose the individual characters of the different boxes, i love equipment, one box wont work, but the mv has a great save function, its faster and easier to archive your stuff, but your studio looses its individuality.ps every one will sound the same thru it only my opinion, god bless you all.
By dabmeister Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:49 am
ReckOne wrote:
moyphee wrote:How many times can you guys have the exact same discussion?

'till hell freezes over...

sl's vs pdx
mpc vs mv
m44-7 vs concorde

*ding* round 35449846213
:oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: :arrow: :idea: :wink:

By moyphee Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:20 pm
The converters in the MV are a notch better than my Roland R8's converters, since both share the same bit dept.

Roland uses the same chipset for conversion as the VS-2480. The sampling engine however is fixed at 16bit output - so the 24 bit output isn't there but the clarity certainly is. It's cheaper to handle one chipset for all their upper line units- MV and VS.

By Beanz711 Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:33 am
I have 2 things to mention. I own neither machines but have tested. My 2 statements will not be really about the machines (considering I haven't spent enough time with them) but on music-making in general.

1) It's the user and what they are most comfortable with. Every1 can have a Porche, but if driving a Crown Vic gets your stuff, done thats what matters.

2) All in one boxes are cool. They are also easier if you wanted to bring them to a different place, all your projects would be in that one box. On the other hand, every machine has pro's and con's. The more that one machine does, the functions aren't as useful as a product specifically designed to do the one task. Having more dedicated equipment will get you exactly what you are looking for, as long as you know how to use it. Plus with an all in one box, you tend to spend more time trying to push buttons getting to where you need to be instead of making the music.

I personally like having more dedicated hardware instead of a big all in one because I like the freedom to choose. It's what works for me. Also, most people tend to get new hardware later down the road, which ends up replacing a function in the all in one. Now the all in one just became a little less useful. Although the option is still there. Sometimes simpler is better. Do you think that RZA, Dre, etc. only have an MV/MPC. No way.

Conclusion: As I stated, This is my overall opinion on music making itself. I have not owned neither of the 2 machines. Find out what part of my 2nd statement is more you like, and then try em out and do my 1st statement.

Good Luck peoples.
Peace.
By AndreasRobinson Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:42 am
MV-8000 IS DOPE!! I have had it under three weeks and I love it!! I have been with my MPC 60 for over 5 years and the jump from that to the 8000 is very easy, I dont get it when people say that there is a steep learning curve, not any more than the 60. There are so many dope things that I come across everyday. One of the things that I have been doing alot of is sampling from CD's because you can pop it in and chop it up so dam easy. I got 100 minutes of sampling time. I got the VGA and monitor but I dont use it-the screen is big enough and I dont like looking at monitos or clicking sh*t.
The audio phrase thing is really dope. The filters are amazing as are the effects. Saving is the best part. Tonight I did my first real beat using all the 8 tracks and saving takes like 2 minutes, then turn off the machine.. And if you want to, re sample and save tracks.. F*ck, there is even an effect that lets you turn the sampling rate down to like 12 bits. Anyway, I love it and the work flow is dope.
By Taisoul Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:49 pm
I felt compelled to chime in.

This is my first post and I must say I'm impressed with this forum. Most MPC forums are full of wanna be Hip Hop producers who offer no real value in their posts. Real craftsman seem to dwell hear.

My first sampler was the Roland W-30 and I remember it was a b**ch to learn. But I was rewarded with features that I have yet to see on any other sampler. Maybe only the ASR comes close.

Anyway, I owned an MPC200 for many years also and although I loved the sequencing, I absolutely hated the way the sampling engine was separated from the rest of the machine.

For example on the W-30 I could sequence a loop and go to the sample edit screen and f**k with the sample as the sequence played. This was such a musical and intuitive way to work. Grooves came together so quickly. Maybe if I never learned to work this way I would not care but I did and it's the best for me.

When I first fired up my new MPC I realized that I had to stop the sequencer to go and f**k with the sample. I was PISSED!

Right now I'm sweating the MV because I saw a screen shot of the sample edit screen and it looked very familiar. Also you can record while the sequencer plays which is just more of a good thing in my book. DON"T STOP THE MUSIC!! All the other bells and whistles are just icing. I hope the features don't get in the way.

Now don't get me wrong. I did great work on my MPC (IMHO) and when I sold it I missed it for what it was good at. Sequencing. But why not make the sample editing and sequencing more of a cohesive process?

Also I had all sorts of problems. The famous screen line issues, freezes etc... Akai as a company seems lost and out of touch to me also. Now that is a big opinion and just an opinion.

The bottom line is the MPC felt more like a tool and a buggy one at that. The Roland felt more like an instrument. I hope the MV gives me that old feeling back. I'm sure it will do something I hate also. LOL!!

Thats my 2 cents.
By 14k Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:26 pm
Rumor on the street is that since Akai dealt the last card with the MPC-5000, Roland is dropping a "Mothership device to beat all"... for Namm 2009! Who knows? It may all just be hype and B.S. so we'll wait and see! Even if it's true, I'm the type that will read reviews and do research for months after it launches before ever consider buying a now Sampler/Seq.

I currently own the:
Akai MPC-2000 Classic
Roland MV-8000 Classic

So I'm cool for now and not pressured to make a move! :wink:
By Blue Haze Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:01 am
Taisoul wrote:I felt compelled to chime in.

This is my first post and I must say I'm impressed with this forum. Most MPC forums are full of wanna be Hip Hop producers who offer no real value in their posts. Real craftsman seem to dwell hear.

My first sampler was the Roland W-30 and I remember it was a b**ch to learn. But I was rewarded with features that I have yet to see on any other sampler. Maybe only the ASR comes close.

Anyway, I owned an MPC200 for many years also and although I loved the sequencing, I absolutely hated the way the sampling engine was separated from the rest of the machine.

For example on the W-30 I could sequence a loop and go to the sample edit screen and f**k with the sample as the sequence played. This was such a musical and intuitive way to work. Grooves came together so quickly. Maybe if I never learned to work this way I would not care but I did and it's the best for me.

When I first fired up my new MPC I realized that I had to stop the sequencer to go and f**k with the sample. I was PISSED!

Right now I'm sweating the MV because I saw a screen shot of the sample edit screen and it looked very familiar. Also you can record while the sequencer plays which is just more of a good thing in my book. DON"T STOP THE MUSIC!! All the other bells and whistles are just icing. I hope the features don't get in the way.

Now don't get me wrong. I did great work on my MPC (IMHO) and when I sold it I missed it for what it was good at. Sequencing. But why not make the sample editing and sequencing more of a cohesive process?

Also I had all sorts of problems. The famous screen line issues, freezes etc... Akai as a company seems lost and out of touch to me also. Now that is a big opinion and just an opinion.

The bottom line is the MPC felt more like a tool and a buggy one at that. The Roland felt more like an instrument. I hope the MV gives me that old feeling back. I'm sure it will do something I hate also. LOL!!

Thats my 2 cents.

MPC 2000 sample edit and sequencing as it plays maybe no like you said but you can edit the start/end trim, looping sections on the mpc 4000 with no problem from sample edit page and the program edit page just change the monitor window button to multi.
By Askia Shaheed Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:59 pm
14k wrote:Rumor on the street is that since Akai dealt the last card with the MPC-5000, Roland is dropping a "Mothership device to beat all"... for Namm 2009! Who knows? It may all just be hype and B.S. so we'll wait and see! Even if it's true, I'm the type that will read reviews and do research for months after it launches before ever consider buying a now Sampler/Seq.

I currently own the:
Akai MPC-2000 Classic
Roland MV-8000 Classic

So I'm cool for now and not pressured to make a move! :wink:

Namm :wink:

Don't worry about the MV-9000. I will pick it up as soon as it hits the streets in Japan. I will put it to the test and then be right here to write about it. As far as the MPC 6000, I heard Roger Linn and Dave Smith are headed up that project and that the Boom Chick was just a smoke screen.