MPC Software & MPC Beats Forum: Bug reports, feature suggestions and discussion for the MPC Software and the free 'MPC Beats' application for Mac/PC. If you have hardware-specific questions, please post in the relevant MPC sub-forum.
By optik415 Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:25 am
I get this awful nasty digital clipping with the 2.0 software. Ive had the MPC software since 1.0 and I have never seen this before. When I load up some drums and start banging on pads a very noticeable clipping/pop happens when past 0db especially when layering drums. Please note: I know how to mix and control levels but I cant even audition drums on pads without turning everything down! This was not an issue when I had my renaissance. This DOES NOT happen when the Live is in standalone or using my RME interface, very weird I must say. I changed USB cables and pad settings but gotten nowhere. I hope my Live is not faulty but then again it would happen in standalone too which it doesnt. My work around is to turn the program down about -7db which is stupid to do everytime I make a beat. Anyways, watch the video to see/hear what im talking about. I brought this issue up before but no luck! I actually sent this video to Pete from akai and I figure I post it here as well to give you guys a better idea. Any help would be appreciated.

I dont know how to embed this so heres a quick link - https://streamable.com/53ngz
By Fanu Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:06 pm
Where is the sound coming out from? It wasn't sure to me from the video.

Technically you are running it over zero, and some interfaces do not handle that well, and it is not recommended by any means. I mean, why would you expect it to sound decent when you're pushing it way too loud over the headroom?
if you push it over zero, you shouldnt be surprised if it is clipping. Never a good thing.

If the audio engine is 32-bit floating point, you can usually run *tracks* loud as hell and it won't clip – as long as you're not running it red on the *master*.
E.g., you can test this with Ableton Live…you can push the tracks way loud into the red (not saying this is good practice) as long as master isn't hitting red…but as soon as your master is hitting red, it's up to your audio interface how that mess gets played out.

This is not an actual rule, but the cheaper the interface, the more likely it is that it will distort it when things exceed zero.
How D->A conversion is handled…that's up to your audio interface. That explains why that may sound horrible coming out of one interface but less bad from some others.
By optik415 Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:05 pm
I understand where your coming from but this has never happened on previous software or renaissance and now this gets in the way of my workflow, I gotta turn everything down to -8 before I even make a beat now. This also doesnt happen in standalone. Very annoying
By optik415 Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:11 pm
At this point I need to know if this is how the Live is made or if its just my unit! Anybody want to load up the program to see?? Ill send it
By optik415 Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:10 pm
Fanu wrote:
Fanu wrote:Where is the sound coming out from?

Headphones buddy!! WELP! I officially have a faulty unit. I had someone test out the drum program and it worked fine on there end. Swapping it out for a new one tmrw. Thanks for your time
By KultClassic Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:33 pm
My friend i have this same issue in controller mode, it also did not happen to me at all with my Ren, same set up just switched for the X. Can you clarify what you meant here, do i have a faulty unit? and did you get a replacement?! This is the only topic on this so any help appreciated! I also have no issue in standalone and no issues when 0db is not crossed. Regardless i feel your annoyance and i am also annoyed, its a foul noise. :x
By Monotremata Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:22 pm
I started with 2.5 and I noticed it right away once I had more than 2 or 3 tracks going. All three tracks pulled down like -12db and its still hitting close to 0. I just make sure individual tracks are under 0 and export them all out and end up doing the real mixing in Logic. Until they fix it, the MPCs mixer is just a guideline for me. Haven't really noticed alot of clipping but then again I work with my monitors at a fairly low level so...
By optik415 Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:51 pm
Hello everyone!

So apparently the issue only happened when my RME UCX was turned off. When i turn on my RME it goes away MOST of the time. Something that has to do with the MPC driver and RME UCX driver. Im also running windows 7 and I have to press F8 everytime i start up to actually use the Live which could have something to do with it since the MPC software is windows 10. I use my live mostly in standalone now so this prob doesnt bother me as much
By Monotremata Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:01 pm
Weird, maybe its just me but its definitely not just a Live thing. Im using the Studio with the software and for whatever reason my tracks seem to have like NO headroom at all. Im coming from Logic, where I was all about soft synths and the hardware synths I own, but now Im trying to keep everything inside the MPC all to itself with no outside stuff (except my Waves stuff and Soundtoys delays hehehe). Its probably been so long since Ive dealt with audio files and a sampler that wasn't some premade Kontakt crap haha. I can start with like a drum loop and one other instrument loop and its getting close to red already. Seems like I should be able to get a couple more in there before it starts to climb but it could be Im dealing with some super hot or normalized samples. I tend to use Shroom's drum packs for one shots and those are gnarly heavy and loud.