Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By richard Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:54 pm
I am attempting to use a qlink slider to change the filters etc in different rhtythms on 16 different tracks and record those changes as part of the sequences. Which means I need to do 16 recordings as i want different data going to each track. But everytime I record a new part I lose the old qlink data...

Is it actually possible to record the qlink data as midi events on each sequence separately in order to free up qlink for doing something else?

or am always i limited to a maximum 6 q link recordings per multi??

or am I dreaming? maybe i'm tired this week but I've read all the manuals, including the z8 and i don't seem to get it

ahh, need whisky

Richard
By Blue Haze Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:35 pm
richard wrote:I am attempting to use a qlink slider to change the filters etc in different rhtythms on 16 different tracks and record those changes as part of the sequences. Which means I need to do 16 recordings as i want different data going to each track. But everytime I record a new part I lose the old qlink data...

Is it actually possible to record the qlink data as midi events on each sequence separately in order to free up qlink for doing something else?

or am always i limited to a maximum 6 q link recordings per multi??

or am I dreaming? maybe i'm tired this week but I've read all the manuals, including the z8 and i don't seem to get it

ahh, need whisky

It makes sense six qlinks, six parts the qlink affects the individual part that you are controlling. I believe you are limited to the amount of parts you can effect. Yes on page 75 on top of the Z8 manual (you can control up to the number of parts in your sampler in the case of 4K it is 6.)

Richard
By renegadebliss Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:30 pm
richard wrote:or am always i limited to a maximum 6 q link recordings per multi??

Hi Richard,
What I am about to state is theory and has not been tried, but I do not see
why it can't be done. I'm hoping to give it a try myself next time i'm in the Studio
now that my live show last weekend is over.

I believe that you are limited to 6 Q-Links per Multi.

But a possible way to get around this, if you're main intention is to record these changes
and movements, is to use the Program Modulation window in the "PROGRAM" pages
(selected with the "Open Window" when in the "PROGRAM EDIT" pages) to set up
the parameters that you want to change with specific Midi CC numbers. Then
go into the Q-Link setup and setup Q-Link to send Midi CC info rather then the standard
part info. Then go ahead and record your Midi CC info into the Sequence by moving the
knobs and sliders while recording the sequence changes. Once you have recorded this
as Midi CC info into the Sequence itself (I would advice to do this into a seperate Track
rather then the track that has notes, which has many advantages, such as having several
different filter sweeps by recording different ones into different tracks and then setting them
to the same Mute Group so that they won't fight each other). Once you have this recorded
into the squence, then you can feel free to Switch the Midi Channel and Midi CC of the
Q-Link setup, to different items (be sure to leave the Midi CC settings in the Program
Modulation window the same). This way you can record as many part changes as you want.
They are stored as Standard Midi CC info in the Sequence and not as Q-link (I believe), so
if you were to transfer the sequence to another type of sequencer, this information would
be brought over and played as well.

So basiclly, what you are doing is using the Q-Link as a "MIdi CC Knob/Slider Box", and
recording Midi CC info into the Sequence rather then the Q-Link data that is limited
to 6 items. I believe that the Akai implementation of Program Window is limited to 64 items.
SO that should give you a little bit more automation.

Cheers,

Dave

By richard Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:00 am
thanks, that is exactly what I meant renegade, and i think I understand it much better now...

I can't quite imagine how that mute group thing would work - but I'll try it out

many thanks

Richard

By Sean W Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:11 am
renegadebliss is correct.
As I explained before, the Q-link controls can generate 3 types of events (in the Q-LINK SETUP / SEND page):
* Q-EVENTs (6 per MULTI): can control specific Parts or FX parameters (regardless of the track that they are recorded on)
* CONTROLLERs: MIDI Control Change (120 per MIDI channel, as the last 8 are reserved for MIDI functions)
* PAD CONTROLs: controls specific Pad parameters (independent per Pad)

CONTROLLERs use standard MIDI Control Change that can modulate the Internal Sampler or any external MIDI device, depending on the Out setting of the track.

The Internal Sampler of the MPC4000 (like the Z4/Z8 ) provides a 64 point modulation matrix per KeyGroup. In this modulation matrix, you can set any controller to modulate any parameter of the keygroup.

Sean

By Blue Haze Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:16 pm
Sean W wrote:renegadebliss is correct.
As I explained before, the Q-link controls can generate 3 types of events (in the Q-LINK SETUP / SEND page):
* Q-EVENTs (6 per MULTI): can control specific Parts or FX parameters (regardless of the track that they are recorded on)
* CONTROLLERs: MIDI Control Change (120 per MIDI channel, as the last 8 are reserved for MIDI functions)
* PAD CONTROLs: controls specific Pad parameters (independent per Pad)

CONTROLLERs use standard MIDI Control Change that can modulate the Internal Sampler or any external MIDI device, depending on the Out setting of the track.

The Internal Sampler of the MPC4000 (like the Z4/Z8 ) provides a 64 point modulation matrix per KeyGroup. In this modulation matrix, you can set any controller to modulate any parameter of the keygroup.

Sean

Sir you are a scholar and an gentleman along with renegades san :D

By renegadebliss Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:39 pm
richard wrote:thanks, that is exactly what I meant renegade, and i think I understand it much better now...

I can't quite imagine how that mute group thing would work - but I'll try it out

many thanks

Richard

The Mute Group isn't actually necessary and might not work, as it might be something
that only works on a per program basis rather then per track as I proposed.
I'll have to check again. But basiclly what it does, is if one item is triggered then then
any other item in the same mutegroup won't be able to play at the same time.

Mainly what I was wanting to point out with that. Is that if you have 4 tracks with
Midi CC 105 (filter cutoff in my synth example) all with different values. If you select
2 tracks at the same time. It is going to sound different. As you will have 2 tracks both
sending midi cc data to the synth, so essentially it will fight with the data. So if you have
4 tracks with the type of data but for different "sections" of your song, then make sure
that only 1 of those are triggering at the same time , or you will have odd behaviour.

I'll check and followback up to this thread as to if their are Mute Groups avaialble for
Sequencer Tracks. If not, it's definitely something that I will be sending into Akai as
an official RFE.

Cheers...
Dave

By Blue Haze Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:26 am
Diggin in the archives. :D

By renegadebliss Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:57 pm
renegadebliss wrote:
I'll check and followback up to this thread as to if their are Mute Groups avaialble for
Sequencer Tracks. If not, it's definitely something that I will be sending into Akai as
an official RFE.

Late follow up :) But NO Mute Groups for Sequencer Tracks. Only Mute Groups on the 4000 are Within a program.

RFE was filed back then, but of course Akai ignored it.

Dave