Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By Blue Haze Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:55 am
Some of the words use in other synth/sampler makers are different from maker to maker but the basics are the same.

Mapping a piano sample or multisamples across a keyboard of a sampler is called keygroup program in the 4k page 9 in users manual.

When you multisample on a sampler to retain realism you have to import numerous samples of an instrument E1, A1, D2, and so on. E1 may be mapped across D1 to G#1.This is called Zones by other companies, but key span and keygrouping by the 4k page 80 in users.

E1 is the root note aka the Keygroup by the 4k. Once the root note is established a sample can be imported and mapped across the keys in a keyspan lo note to hi note in the keygroup page 83 in users.

What other companies called Velocity mapping the ability to layer samples with different velocities on the same key to imitate the dynamic behavior of an instrument according to the velocity at which it is played is called Zones on the 4k page 89-90 in users.

For example a snare drum which is a dynamic instrument that sounds different depending on the velocity(amount of force) with which it is struck.

In order to imitate the behavior you sample it once and go into zone and layer the same snare if you want into each zone and edit first the low/high velocity setting z1 Lo vel 1 thru High vel 32, z2 Lo Vel 33 thru High Vel 64 and etc section 8 page 90 in users.

Next you can change each zones start points to cut the attack to make it soft, filter to make it duller, tune to change the pitch, and the play mode to change the play section 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, page 90 users.

Lastly go into the program modulation matrix and turn on Velocity, off velocity, and others as source and the zone select as the destination with the amount page 91 at the top of the users.

This is for one keygroup program editing. If I want to layer two keygroups all I have to do is set them in the same keyspan to layer the sounds or use the INT A/B output with the same midi channel to play as many programs at the same time pages 50 thru 51 in the owners.

Remember when you edit a keygroup program it can be as wide across the keys as you want but it is only one keygroup dont get it confused with zones.

And the drum program is just one keygroup per note that about it cuz you don`t need to map one kick drum across many keys just one key, one keygroup, one note. And very, very, important to Remember the edit1, edit2 settings affect the whole keygroup not one zone check section 5 note box at the bottom of page 90 in the users. The main sample assign to the note number and key group always go into zone 1.

A excelllent guide is called Sampling and Soft Synth power! by Micheal Prager. :D

The more you know the more the Users Guide makes sense. :D

By phunk Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:17 am
you also can layer keygroups and apply a certain range of velocity for each of them, so you're not limited anymore by just having 4 zones to stack samples in.
i know it might be obvious for the expert but also usefull for the newbies.
lets say that you have 16 samples of the same snare corresponding to 16 different velocity, you're not limited anymore by just having 4 zones to stack your samples in...
just create a keygroup for each of your samples (up to 128) and assign them to the same note (lets say C1) now go into program mode and in the "zone edit " (f6) in the zone window you can edit the velocity range for each of your keygroup (0-10 for snare sample 1 keygroup 1 / 11to 20 for snare sample 2 keygroup 2 and so on...)
now you have a full snare with a wider velocity range for a more natural feeling.

now i havent tried that yet but you should be able to create a keygroup stack your sample in the 4 zones crteate another keygroup with the 4 zones and layer it and so on...i don't know if it's clear :)

voila !

anyway the bluehaze's post by itself i think deserves going in the rob list, so i'll make the link... :)

By Darrenh2000 Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:39 pm
thank god i finally understand the whole zones thing.Sounds interesting but just cant see the use of it!!im probably missin sumthin here but isnt that the whole point of velocity sensitive pads??why would you take a sample of a snare drum and set it on each zone wiv a different velocity??is it the same as hitting the pad the way it would be normally eg the harder you hit it the louder it sounds??am i missin sumthin????????

By Blue Haze Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:51 pm
Darrenh2000 wrote:thank god i finally understand the whole zones thing.Sounds interesting but just cant see the use of it!!im probably missin sumthin here but isnt that the whole point of velocity sensitive pads??why would you take a sample of a snare drum and set it on each zone wiv a different velocity??is it the same as hitting the pad the way it would be normally eg the harder you hit it the louder it sounds??am i missin sumthin????????

Yes if you have a soft snare hit, ringing hard snare hit, rim hit, or reverb snare in different zones you can switch the snares you play by velocity to get realistic play and sound effects if you want. Velocity on only one snare is great to keep your patterns from sounding robotic;however, different hits rather than different loudness with add more variety to your patterns. Just check out an recording of live drummers and you will get a better understanding. Read carefully if you are going to dig this up. Musicianship and the ear is the key. :D

By fader-pro Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:01 pm
I might add that with today's extreme storage capabilities on samplers, there is no excuse except preference, laziness, or ignorance for unnatural sounding drum samples. I recently had a drummer set up his kit in my studio for an extended stay. As a result, I was able to spend a day just mic'ing the kit. I've since put several hours work into sampling just the snare alone. In addition to velocity, left and right hand hits, the area in which you hit the drum head and the type of stick used all make noticable differences in the sample's tone. And thats not even touching on the differences achieved in using different mics and mic positions. I figure I'll be able to end up with about 5 different kits just from recording the one. It's rare these days that I use a kit with no less than 8 pads dedicated to snare alone. If you're lucky enough to have a similar opportunity I'd also reccomend recording drum rolls at a number of different tempos as there is a difference between a drum roll played from samples and a sampled drum roll...

By Blue Haze Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:18 am
Addition for newbies
By kenzmac Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:29 am
Hello!
I'm new to the group. I'm thinking about getting an MPC 4K, but was concerned because I thought it could only zone maximum 4 velocity levels.
Pfunk: Once you've done this, please post the results.
Ken

phunk wrote:you also can layer keygroups and apply a certain range of velocity for each of them, so you're not limited anymore by just having 4 zones to stack samples in.
i know it might be obvious for the expert but also usefull for the newbies.
lets say that you have 16 samples of the same snare corresponding to 16 different velocity, you're not limited anymore by just having 4 zones to stack your samples in...
just create a keygroup for each of your samples (up to 128) and assign them to the same note (lets say C1) now go into program mode and in the "zone edit " (f6) in the zone window you can edit the velocity range for each of your keygroup (0-10 for snare sample 1 keygroup 1 / 11to 20 for snare sample 2 keygroup 2 and so on...)
now you have a full snare with a wider velocity range for a more natural feeling.

now i havent tried that yet but you should be able to create a keygroup stack your sample in the 4 zones crteate another keygroup with the 4 zones and layer it and so on...i don't know if it's clear :)

voila !

anyway the bluehaze's post by itself i think deserves going in the rob list, so i'll make the link... :)