Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By madcowboy Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:39 pm
Hi,

Here's a tip for all you People who bought Floppy Drives from Route 66 Studios ( like io did ) and now find them useless because they won't format ( like i did ) don't throw it away !!!!

Basically its the jumpers at the back, you need to connect all the jumpers except the third one from the right, from the power conection.
this now allows the drive to format and function properly it now works fine on my MPC 60 Mk II runing OS 2.14 should work fine on anyother OS.

Here is a pic which may help:

If the image is failing visit www.12thsenserecordings.com/pic
failing that just contact me and i'll email you the .jpg.

By elmacaco Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:09 pm
Can you take a picture of the jumper settings from the top looking down?

By madcowboy Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:15 pm
i can't unfortunatley the back of the floppy drive goes right over the jumpers on the back i'll try and put up a better quality picture soon.

I really hope this helps some people who've been done by gettng these drives.

As i said you have six jumpers all but the 3rd one from the left from the power plug is connected, i realalise i'm being very untechnical but i hope people get the rub of how to do it.

peace
By Andyo Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:40 pm
Guys listen there seems to be a huge misconception on the Route 66 drives and what actual discs can and can not be used and what OS can be used.

I have two MPC 60s running 3.10 both with a replaced Route 66 drives and both work 100% when used with the correct discs, these are DSDD 720k not HD discs...man read your manuals! It also helps if you install the drive correctly in the first place. The drive can read HD discs if the tape over the hole trick is used but chances are it will not format them because they are not DSDD 720K discs. The MPC dictates what size discs can be used not the floppy drive, this is because MPC has FDC controller on it's main board that is set to DSDD 720K.

Now many people say "YA BUT MY OLD DRIVE USED HD DISCS" ok I will explaine why the older original drives could use HDs.

Every time a disc is inserted into the MPC the on board FDC controller and the drive do a hand shake to determine the type of media you have used. The older drive with it's dated processor did a poor job of media detection and would allow a HD disc to pass. Now with new 2007 drives and smatrer chipsets the new drive and the FDC do a vary thorough hand shake and the if the disc media doesnt match the FDC then you get an disc error.

So use the correct discs which are DSDD 720K and copy all your HD 1.44 disc back to DSDD since the Route 66 drive allows you to read the HD just not format them.

I will look into the alledged MAGIC jumper settings that allow ALL formats to work but I would say 98% of all posts here are related to the use of wrong media or simply a bad install.

Andy O

By mikael__ Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:50 pm
Thanx madcowboy!!!!

been struggling with the drive for hours now, i found this thread and it now formats like it should.