Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By Blue Haze Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:00 am
Key laying allows you create keygroups that overlap each other. You can overlap more than two keygroups with different sounds stacking three or more with 4 zone each per keygroup program on the same range of keys, or producing split and layers. Using the level Parameter you can balance the loudness of the two sounds to create the desired mix. This is just a basic layout of using the full sampler function of your 4k than just the phrase sampler drum program part as most users do.

After you have layered your two or more keygroups in the same or overlaying keyspan (key range). You can use the Tilt Velocity aka Reverse Velocity on one keygroup and normal velocity on the second keygroup. This is for the user to set up a velocity cross-fade, the velocity determines the balance two sampled voices. Using the reverse velocity this makes the voice respond backwards to your keyboard dynamics. The harder you play the softer the sound. When this is layered with normal velocity keygroup, both voices will be combined when you play a single key. The balance between them will be determined by how quickly you strike the key. Will the 4k you can use Normal Cross Fade (off velocity, XFade with velocity, and Real Time using cc controllers.

This is just one example of the same basic sound designing techniques used by experienced, knowledgable sound designers on the Motifs, Tritons, and Fantoms that use minus the effects.

Not everyone wants to create sounds or have the patience to learn to do it themselves which is all good cuz the pros really know what they are doing which is why the synth makers pay them BIG BUCKS to design the sounds for their machines. And why most MUSICIANS (not DESIGNERS cuz it is too technical most believe) pay for the synths containing those creations created by the designer not necessarily by the manufacturer.

And some musicians believe that the machine designs the sounds or sound engineer with geekie glass thought up a miracle sound in the lab far from the truth.

Each yr different synth makers build a new rompler that has new enhancements on a basic sampling process-

Select the sample-connectors and converters

Sampling the sample-Input level, Sampling Rate, Bit

Edit the Sample- Truncating, Looping, Envelope, Pressure, Velocity and etc

Edit Parameter- Key mapping, Velocity Mapping, Layering aka actual Sound Designing.

Just a little understanding of the sound designing basic can help anyone go a long way. Sound designing is sampling. As you gradually develop and grow using your sampler you too may question if the pros can sound design for Korg, Yamaha and so on and still use an old Wavestation or S5000 in their studio for their production maybe so can I. Nowadays software samplers gives even more creative possbilites.

Now any ***** can comment about why we shouldn`t learn sound designing on the 4k without a basic multisample CDs to build on. It isn`t the sounds really it is how the designers manipulated them.

Small tips reverse engineer all of the great presets you like off with the settings from the rompler of your choice to get an idea of the (receipe). Of course the equipment is different and use parameters are different from manufactor to manufactor so nothing will be exact.

But you can learn to use the tool you have to make your own unique sound or buy the manufactors brand pro sound-designed well crafted keyboard that everyone and their momma has too.

Funny thing is the pro sound designer probably doesn`t buy the keyboard that he or she programmed just sticks with his or hers same tool that they have mastered but of the manufactor not going to adverstise this. Cuz at Namm 2007 and 2008 they have to sell more keyboards.

On a end note a sampler is a powerful creative sound designing tool and instrument which most Pro Sound Designer use to creative the presets used for the current and future gears. It always about the user though cuz when I had my own Trition my ignorance of sound designing most left me using presets combinations with my sync mpc 2xl. Now I realize I can make my own combinations and sounds with a full Z8 sampling engine. The Korg effects are butter compare to the 4ks but I can mix that in within Pro Tools.

For each person develop, strive, and gain understanding. Understanding saves money and time.

P.S. not all synths are the same especially the analog types like Nord and others are build to give the users more sound designing options using actual osciallators.

8)

Recommended learning guides both were published in 1987 but still current for today words change but the concept is the same basically ha, ha, ha, the manufacturer have to eat too and newbies start buying the latest and the greatest every yr. Shit hasn`t changed much in the passed 20 odd yrs.

Foreword "The marketing director of a major sampler manufacturer once told me that only five to ten percent of sampler owners actually sample their own sounds, yet few people will buy a playback-only sampler. Perhaps many sampler owners would like to capture and create their own sounds, but become discouraged after a few fruitless sampling sessions."
taken from The Sampling Book written in 1987 quoted by Peter Gother President and Co-founder of Digidesign maker of Pro Tools.

Fast forward to 2006 and add to this sampler owners would buya playback sampler which has a keyboard and excellent sound designed programs and combinations made by a designer.

I`m a sampler based producer doesn`t matter if i sampled the source myself or another musician played the note it is what I do with it and how I design it.

The Sampling Book

by Steve De Furia & Joe Scacciaferro

Secrets of Analog And Digital Synthesis
By Steve Defuria

Inspiration sources Stephen Kay

http://www.karma-lab.com/People/SKay.html

and Lost Art of Sampling by Sound on Sound

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan06/a ... cience.htm

By 2KXL4life Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:04 pm
good read ^^im all about creating my own sounds people are just too lazy to tweak and layer there sounds but they dont realize its truly the only way to get the sound ur looking for!!

PS.F u c k presets

By BBoy2005 Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:38 pm
thanx blue

By Blue Haze Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:43 pm
:D

By Beatz Galore Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:02 pm
2KXL4life wrote:good read ^^im all about creating my own sounds people are just too lazy to tweak and layer there sounds but they dont realize its truly the only way to get the sound ur looking for!!

PS.F u c k presets

dude, u make it out to seem like the ONLY way to tweak your sounds is to put sounds in your MPC and tweak

that's simply not the case...

who the FUKK doesn't create they're own sounds?

NOBODY uses presets...except for folks that have absolutely NO IDEA how to tweak sounds on a rompler...

By alpha80 Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:10 pm
NOBODY uses presets...

*clears throat loudly*
Check these guys... :wink:

By alpha80 Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:12 pm
BTW, Blue Haze is tearing it up, post after post... :D :D :D

By psitech Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:02 pm
Beatz Galore wrote:
who the **** doesn't create they're own sounds?

NOBODY uses presets...except for folks that have absolutely NO IDEA how to tweak sounds on a rompler...

kind of depends of what kind of sounds you're after, if i want a piano sound i'm ok with using a preset... does'nt mean i cant make new sounds on a rompler does it? ....if you really want to stay away from presets you need to program your own sounds from scratch... and you can't do that with a rompler.. as far as i know...

Good read Blue!!! :o

By Beatz Galore Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:24 pm
psitech wrote:
Beatz Galore wrote:

kind of depends of what kind of sounds you're after, if i want a piano sound i'm ok with using a preset... does'nt mean i cant make new sounds on a rompler does it? ....if you really want to stay away from presets you need to program your own sounds from scratch... and you can't do that with a rompler.. as far as i know...

Good read Blue!!! :o

u can tweak and edit on a rompler..that's all i need....

By psitech Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:39 pm
Beatz Galore wrote:u can tweak and edit on a rompler..that's all i need....

Yeah romplers are great, you can do alot of sounds you can't do on analog or va synth...

By renegadebliss Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:11 pm
Beatz Galore wrote:
2KXL4life wrote:good read ^^im all about creating my own sounds people are just too lazy to tweak and layer there sounds but they dont realize its truly the only way to get the sound ur looking for!!

PS.F u c k presets

dude, u make it out to seem like the ONLY way to tweak your sounds is to put sounds in your MPC and tweak

that's simply not the case...

I don't know if I can agree with you on this.
Look at how BIG the whole Sample CD industry is.

MOST people do not want or know how to do the work.

If people made their own sounds, then nobody would be buying Sample CD's and if you look at any SOS, Keyboard, or Future Music issue, you'll see that these Sample CD company's are make some money, as they can take out 1-2 page ads in these National Magazines.

All I can say, is that many, many, many people use presets and/or sample CD's. I can even name a couple of Top 40 songs that use the presets from the Waldorf Q and Access Virus...

Just be glad that you Beats-Galore just like myself and Blue Haze know and want to make their own sounds. I personally say that we are a minority, NOT a majority...

Dave

By Beatz Galore Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:24 pm
my only problem with blue's breakdown is the whole "split the keyrange" ish...

it just sounds like too much work..i'm having a difficult time with that

By deaf-mute Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:11 am
Beatz Galore wrote:my only problem with blue's breakdown is the whole "split the keyrange" ish...

it just sounds like too much work..i'm having a difficult time with that

It's not that much work if you make templates and can just load up samples into them. Then it's just a matter of trial and error, tweaking, untweaking and all that isht.

Most of the guys producing sample cd's probably use the same workflow and create those templates and just have to tweak like a preset designer on a synth would tweak his sounds.

I use templates all the time cause I know there's certain things I'll always use in a program. Then it's just a matter of fine tuning. It's not that much of a burden. If I like a preset, I'll usually tweek it to suit the track i'm working on. isht man, I can do the same in my sampler. Think about what haze said when he mentioned that you should sometimes work back by looking at how the pros set up their programs. you'll be surprised at how many of those have exactly the same modulation sources but just have different envelope curves or velocity to filter values. it's not that hard but like any game, you gotta play and learn to get better.

anyhow's I don't see a problem with using a preset if it suits the song, and I don't mind spending a couple of hours getting all my synths and drum machines sampled and tweaked. the great thing with the sampler is that you can get those sounds out of their box and make them even more controllable. sample them, process them, effect them and make far more machines from your gear than your straight 909 or 808, it will become a 909 with mpc control. add some distortion, reduce the bit rate, filter out low frequencies from hats so that they stand out in the mix, without having to do too much tweeking in the mix. that's the beauty of making your own programs.

Think about it, in a live situation, if you have worked in the studio well enough and set out your programs, you can tour with all your machines in the mpc and only one machine to control. if you do some hard work in the first stages, the end results will be that much better. beleive me. Make your own loops, your own kicks, your own pads. That great but annoying monosynth, you want more than one sound from it in a track? sample the **** out of it and your mono synth can become a monster polyphonic synth in your mpc. Layer those pads to get the fattest pads you can imagine. put one on the left, one on the right and slighlty delay one of the sides: Instant chorus effect and a pad that will shine through the mix.

Tweek it...