Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By K. Rah Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:43 pm
Can anyone give me a quick example as to why Non-desctructive is useful? I don't get it.
By trybtek Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:06 am
if you chop it wrong 1st time you can change it without rechopping
if you change your mind and want one chop longer or shorter you can change it
its all about creative freedom!
Peace!
By Mike Feedback Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:54 pm
it saves memory if your chops overlap.

if you sample the word, "sample", you can chop it to "ample", "amp", "ple", "sam", "samp", etc, and you're still only using the memory that "sample" takes up.

if you were to extract each of them to new sounds, you'd be taking up a lot more memory than if you were using non-destructive.
By dtaa pla muk Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:35 pm
no, but close: classic mistake. the quality stays the exact same--it just makes it mono. this ONLY applies to the akai os. jjos1 and 2 chops in stereo, the way it should be from the get go.

now, akai released the 5000 with the hilariously titled "chopshop 2.0"
what, pray tell, does chopshop 2.0 do?!?!?
are you ready? i don't think so...

it chops in stereo! i guess the 2.0 stands for 2 channels of audio, both L and R.
By shuggadaddyo Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:55 pm
Everytime time stretch is used the quality gets worse. Pitch shift/time stretch is destructive (not on some DAWs though). Always keep the original sample before using these functions.
Guess non-destructive chop is just quicker to use, make a rough chop an zoom in.
Converting stereo chops into mono did seem a massive oversite in the original OS.

On answering the original post; Non-Destructive Pitch shift/Time stretch is extreemly usefull!
The term 'Non Destructive' means that the original file is always used as a base for destructive adjustments and calculations.
I use Samplitude, when you are working on a sample in a project it stores the original WAV elsewhere, which means that any adjustments (calculations) of time stretch/pitch shift are carried out upon the original file.
You can time stretch as many times as you wish and the sound quality will be the same as the first time you adjusted the pitch/timestretch.
This means any alterations to pitch or time are of the highest quality available, and achieved in quickest and most accurate way possible.

It is unlikely Non-Destructive Pitch Shift/Time Stetch will be available on an AKIA as it would use up way too much RAM.
If this is not the case PLEASE let me know
Non Destructive Chop just means quick accurate adjustments can be made to samples.
By shuggadaddyo Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:02 am
Mike Feedbacks advice further up this page, on non-destructive chop is very sound!!!

I am unsure if non-destructive time stretch/pitch shift can be carried out on an AKAI.
Myself, I have only changed pitch in the trim mode and hit edit, which is destructive (ie, IRREVERSIBLE!)
I have just seen a video on utube of a guy converting the sample to a patched phrase and using the q-link slider to adjust the pitch of a pad when hit, looked pretty non-destructive to me.
Not at all sure how that worked but patched phrases seem the way forward when experimenting with different pitch settings of a sample!!

Once again, on answering your original post:
Non-destructive means; all alterations are carried out on the original file, this means that no quality is lost, no matter how many times you edit the sample.

In the case of non-destructive chop, it saves RAM.
In the old OS samples needed be extracted to edit them which meant copying the sample/file (doubling RAM used)!
With JJ OS samples/files need not be extracted and copied.
Say you have extracted a lengthy sample and chopped into sixteen individual chops. Then, made some more lengthier chops upon the original sample afterwards. That is a lot of individual files and a lot of RAM.
JJ OS only uses one file!!!!!!(the original)
Shit Hot!!!!!! Good Lad JJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Many Props an Big Ups!!!!
By 2KXL4life Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:00 pm
thats just plain stupid .....if u think its usless cause u have 128 ram u must realy not understand the function us older asr 10 heads love the feat
By Explicit- Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:56 pm
2KXL4life wrote:thats just plain stupid .....if u think its usless cause u have 128 ram u must realy not understand the function us older asr 10 heads love the feat

Its a great feature. Well not on the Akai OS. :lol:

JJOS 2 makes this feature beast.
By 2KXL4life Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:12 pm
yup and is a huge reason to upgrade which i will as soon as i can afford the OS but v3.08 is workn fine for now