Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500
By cre8tive Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:30 pm
My Toshiba MK4026GAX MK4026GAX 40GB hard drive came today. I installed it in the 2500 with NO problem. Undo the 2 screws on the front and 3 directly under the front panel and BAM you're in there. Undo two more screws and take out the HD tray---insert the HD, screw it down-put it back in and screw everything back. Waala--you're done.

I sat down with a friend of mine who is an electrical engineer. He showed me that he's discovered how to re-wire ALL the outs on the MPC 1000 and make them REVERSIBLE INPUTS/OUTS! He's trying to make it so you can plug in keyboards etc... into the MPC and send all the in and out signals to the internal rom or HD that he installed, and still be able to sequence all external gear and record it onto the Hard Drive. So it'll be like turning the MPC into a Recording workstation. He's still got a lot of work to do but I'll MOST DEF keep you posted.

By cre8tive Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:11 pm
I told him if he pulls this off he needs to send schedule a meeting with Akai reps and present what he's done and try to get put on future projects. Or at least start a website and offer his services online to modify people's MPC's.

By elmacaco Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:40 am
will it record multitrack or just mixed to stereo?

By cre8tive Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:57 am
ummmm, not exactly sure you could use all 8 tracks as inputs and use the internal drum tracks and record them using the Direct record feature. So I guess that's stero cuz it's not like you'll b able to go back and edit each track indiv---it'll be kinda hard--like if you do vocals it'll have to be a one shot song cuz there is NO GOING back. It'll primarily be ONLY for recording beats--unless you're like Ghostface and kill a whole song in one take.

By jahrome Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:50 am
Recording directly to hard disk you say?? Wow, especially since Akai USA posted that on their website when the MPC 4000 was released and it never materialized as far as I know.

I was going to play devils advocate but sensitivity is running high in the threads :wink: So, all I have to say is good luck with it and I am very curious to here the results.

Peace.

By cre8tive Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:56 am
Americans, friends, and countrymen, let us discuss topics in a respectable manner. Please do play devils advocate Jahrome. I look at MPC forums as a think tank where individuals can express themselves about issues concerning the best sampling hardware available so SHOOT.
By soyo Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:45 pm
cre8tive wrote:
I sat down with a friend of mine who is an electrical engineer. He showed me that he's discovered how to re-wire ALL the outs on the MPC 1000 and make them REVERSIBLE INPUTS/OUTS! He's trying to make it so you can plug in keyboards etc... into the MPC and send all the in and out signals to the internal rom or HD that he installed, and still be able to sequence all external gear and record it onto the Hard Drive. So it'll be like turning the MPC into a Recording workstation. He's still got a lot of work to do but I'll MOST DEF keep you posted.

OMFG! That would be brutal! But wouldn't that have to include a lot of painful programming?

Can your buddy program?

By mahoney Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:25 pm
Is this modding business worth it? Ain't it better to just sell your friend's services as MPC repairman and use the ca$h to get a Motu 828MKII? Boy, when I plugged that Motufaqqa in it just blew my mind I started hearing things. Belive that. I also have Sennheiser Bill Walton ESPN-series headphones with a puff-protec mic on so I throw all my joints down live. Who is this Ghostface Guacamole?

By sparq Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:32 pm
mahoney wrote:Who is this Ghostface Guacamole?

if you're not into hip hop, you probably wouldn't know who he is.... ghostface is from wu-tang clan. look him up.

sorry, didn't mean for it to come out that way. i just meant, i really can't go into details about who and what he is.... that'll take all day. i'll just put it like this... he's a rapper.

By mahoney Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:26 pm
oh that must be his 12's I have a whole shelf for?

I wouldn't trade his newest with pete rock for a whole dvd set of desperate housewives season 2.