Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By mrcrappypantson Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:05 pm
This is something I highly enjoy doing and it thickens the drums up nice. Link 2 pads to play together with the same sample on them. Pan hard left on one and hard right on the other. Pitch one slightly. This makes ghost snares sound sick. Do it to a whole kit. Good stuff. Hope someone will have the pleasure of experiencing this goodness from my post.
By soyo Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:10 pm
mrcrappypantson wrote:This is something I highly enjoy doing and it thickens the drums up nice. Link 2 pads to play together with the same sample on them. Pan hard left on one and hard right on the other. Pitch one slightly. This makes ghost snares sound sick. Do it to a whole kit. Good stuff. Hope someone will have the pleasure of experiencing this goodness from my post.

yeah, thats cool :) but i like to do it with diferent samples also

By mrcrappypantson Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:17 pm
Hell yeah. Different snares work nice. Doing this to the drums make them stand out more and have more personality. More importantly, it gives that used to death Amen Brother break your own twist and little bit of uniqueness.

By itchyvinyl Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:21 pm
There's a couple ways to make this effect more extreme:

Instead of assigning the same sample to two pads.....make a copy of the sample, and trim the start point of one of the copies differently...........then assign them to play together (panned hard of course.)

OR, if you assign the same sample to two pads, don't use the SIMUL function to trigger them both at once.

Sequence them separately to play at the same time, but then use your "Shift Timing" function (hit OPEN WINDOW when cursor is over "Timing:") to offset just one of the pads using the "Shift Timing:LATER" and setting to "1" or "2."

At the bottom where it says "Note:" is where you select the pad you want to offset.

Don't forget to hit "DO IT."

By mrcrappypantson Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:03 pm
PanFlam... nice

By itchyvinyl Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:16 pm
I should also add about the tips I gave above:

You might need to make the snare that hits second (the later of the two) louder in volume than the one that hits first.

There's an illusion that happens which makes the one that hits first appear louder, so correct it by boosting the second one.

If you tweak it right, it won't sound too "flammy", just more stereo.

By Smoove03 Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:44 pm
this technique works wonders with vocals, too

:idea:

By Lampdog Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:58 pm
Smoove03 wrote:this technique works wonders with vocals, too

Yes it does. 8)

By mrcrappypantson Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:58 pm
This technique will sound good on pretty much anything except bass.

By phanatik Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:57 am
Lampdog wrote:
Smoove03 wrote:this technique works wonders with vocals, too

Yes it does. 8)

so u saying u stereo lead vocalz!?

By Smoove03 Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:37 pm
when I was working at 51 I learned a lot of techniques. It makes the vocals sound phat and wide (if thats the sound your going for).

your lead can be centered, yes.

but you can also have the rapper do another take (even two more totaling 3) saying the same thing. One centered, one panned left and one panned right.

works real tight with adlibs too. so, yes thats the effect you get from panning vocals. a stereo effect.